Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I spent the better part of today doing an exterior conversion of my 2016 PBM SS to 2016 Commodore VF2 SSV Redline specs. I still need to powder coat the wheels black and I'm going to keep the US spec lower grill for now but all of the badges, wheel center caps, and upper grill are 2016 OE parts from down under. I added the PBM side vents and running lamp trim as well. I wanted to keep a little chrome to break up the black in the front so I kept the chrome grill surrounds. Measure twice (or more) and stick them on once. If you plan on doing the doors, REMEMBER that you need to line them up to the ground, NOT the level if you are using one and doing this in your garage. Most garages will be sloped and once you get on level ground the alignment of the door emblems will be wrong if they were straight on a slope. Just something to consider.

·
Premium Member
6,891 Posts

Excellllent!

·
Registered
293 Posts
That is what I plan on doing on my Heron White.
I'm not sure if I will do the side SS emblems though. I am going to keep the front SS as is just as you have.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is what I plan on doing on my Heron White.
I'm not sure if I will do the side SS emblems though. I am going to keep the front SS as is just as you have.
To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the door emblems but I wanted to stay true to the SSV Redine so I decided to put them on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's looks fantastic!
Who did you go through on the parts?
Do mind sharing what I would pay for the exact set up?
You can PM if you would like...

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's looks fantastic!
Who did you go through on the parts?
Do mind sharing what I would pay for the exact set up?
You can PM if you would like...

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
I went through OPG in Australia for all of the emblems/badges, grill, and wheel center caps. The blackout trim I got from GM Parts Direct. OPG was very easy to work with and I got the items very quickly. I don't really recall exactly how much I paid honestly but I have another thread in the exterior section where I go over everything I got. I think it was around $800 or so IIRC. Karo on here has some items here in the US but I'm not sure how his prices compare to OPG.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
One more photo to show how I aligned all of the badges. I just hung them from painters tape and when I got the perfect alignment, I just peeled the backing off and pressed. I used rulers, levels, photos of The SSV Redline, and math to match up the locations. If a badge was a certain height (the physical height or width of the badge itself) in pixels in a photo, I looked at how many pixels seperated the badge from a reference point and got the correct placement from there. Ratios.

And if the edge of the door SS badge on the RT door looks a little closer to the rear than the LT door, that was done on purpose. I lined up the badges to the center of the badge not taking the front S's tail into consideration. So the "SS" is in the same location, but the tail on the first S is further back on the RT and further forward on the LT. I thought this gave the best look rather than the "SS" being off center to the other side.

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Awesome job! Looks great.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Front looks great with blackout running lamp trim and chrome surrounds on PBM. Looks very natural. Something I should consider for myself. Great job, I enjoy seeing the Holden conversions.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Front looks great with blackout running lamp trim and chrome surrounds on PBM. Looks very natural. Something I should consider for myself. Great job, I enjoy seeing the Holden conversions.
Thanks. On other colors I like the black surrounds but on PBM it's just a little to monotone for me. IMHO it needs something to break up all of the black and the thin chrome strips are well proportioned and angled to do that.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now you just need the redline door sill trim pieces. I got these from crazy Paul a while back

2015 Chevy SS
Auto - Sun - Spare
That's awesome. I'll have to look around for it!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts