Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 with 57k noticed over the last couple thousand miles my ride seemed to be getting rougher and there is a clunking in the rear passenger when I go over bumps. I keep my ride in sport but even when I change it to touring it doesn’t seem to help. I have read a lot of threads and this seems to be a common problem with these cars? Took it to the dealer and they quoted me $5000 for front and rear. I was floored! I asked to put a request into chevy customer care for some assistance with paying. Anyone else have this problem? Has anyone replaced them themselves or through a mechanic? Any info would be helpful thanks so much!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
It is only (relatively) common on the '15 models, not on the '16-'17's. Did you look and see for yourself if they are indeed leaking?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2016 with 57k miles. I noticed over the last couple of thousand miles the ride seemed to be getting rougher and clunking in the rear passenger when going over bumps. Took it to dealer and they said the front and rear shocks are leaking. They quoted me $5000! Dealer is going to contact chevy customer care. Anyone else dealt with this? Has anyone installed them or had someone other then GM install them? I’m so upset

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Lot's of threads here on this. It is most common on the '15's and even then, mostly just the rears. Very uncommon on 16-17 models. Have you looked for yourself to see if the shocks are indeed leaking? I would not trust a $5000 bill without direct verification and/or second opinion. The shocks can weep a little bit and once that gets covered in road dust, it can look worse than it actually is. If it were under warranty, you can bet they would scrutinize the degree to which it is leaking. Many people get told a little weeping is normal and not covered. Bottom line is you need to know if it is a legitimate problem, or if the dealer is looking to make some money off you. "Clunking" sounds can be caused by more than just the shocks (i.e. endlinks come quickly to mind).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rear is leaking for sure but not sure about the fronts, I have read a lot of 2016’s seem to have this problem too. The ride is definitely getting worse!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
MRC is really cool until you’re quoted $5000 for new shocks 4 years in. Of course, that’s just their 1st offer. When they knock it down to $3500 you’ll feel like you’re getting a deal.

The rears have been more prone to failure to date. Several here have DIY’d the replacements. The rears are about $350 each. The fronts $550 each. Assuming the parts are available.

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
That's about $3200 for labor? If you buy them online. List on these is outrageous. Get labor quoted by a reputable tire and wheel shop. i haven't had good customer experience with the Chevy service so I found a couple others that i can trust.
I replaced passenger rear myself, only bugger was figuring out the de pinning process. For all 4 might just want to get connector or splice with waterproof connectors.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
MRC is really cool until you’re quoted $5000 for new shocks 4 years in. Of course, that’s just their 1st offer. When they knock it down to $3500 you’ll feel like you’re getting a deal.

The rears have been more prone to failure to date. Several here have DIY’d the replacements. The rears are about $350 each. The fronts $550 each. Assuming the parts are available.
They look to be available:

But so do the end links ;)

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
Got pics of the leak? I have same symptoms but unsure of what to look for. Mine is covered until nov. I would love to have it documented now if they are and have it addressed when I drop it off for the recall and park assist not working and transmission service.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

That's about $3200 for labor? If you buy them online. List on these is outrageous. Get labor quoted by a reputable tire and wheel shop. i haven't had good customer experience with the Chevy service so I found a couple others that i can trust.
I replaced passenger rear myself, only bugger was figuring out the de pinning process. For all 4 might just want to get connector or splice with waterproof connectors.
Yeah pretty outrageous, supposed to talk to dealer tomorrow, I’m prob going to look into having them done by someone else.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got pics of the leak? I have same symptoms but unsure of what to look for. Mine is covered until nov. I would love to have it documented now if they are and have it addressed when I drop it off for the recall and park assist not working and transmission service.
I do not have pics but I did notice a small spot on my garage floor. I would definitely have it looked at especially if it is still under warranty!

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
I found some drip spots but unsure if it’s leaking oil from the drain plug or from something else but I did smell oil the other day like it hit the headers.

Edit: I figured out where the oil is coming from. Dipstick tube wasn’t fully seated. Shot enough oil onto the right side of the exhaust to smell and cover the tranny pan/crossmember/both o2/cat. Luckily a little degreaser took take of it. Refitted/tweaked the dipstick tube and put a few extra lbs on the bolt.

As for the ride and shocks I still have that rear clunking and occasionally the shocks give a really bouncy ride like it’s fighting the spring. Fronts look good. Need to check the rear.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 2016 with 30k miles, one of my rears was leaking and the car was horrible to drive. I ended up buying both rear shocks myself and then having the dealer install them when they did the steering recall. Was still expensive but saved a bunch from what the dealer originally quoted me.

I ended up buying a set of new ones from a forum member, but you can also check summit racing.

I really wish GM customer care would help us out on this, but don’t know of anyone that had any luck outside of the warranty period.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,558 Posts
I thought the mag-rides had been discontinued, so maybe that's why they charge $5k? I kick myself for not ordering a set earlier to rat-hole away.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
The $5k is ridiculous. They are padding the heck out of that job.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
I posted in your other thread.

The $5k is ridiculous. They are padding the heck out of that job. Especially since you don't really know if it is the fronts as well

The parts are always available, they have been other than a brief delay during the strike etc.

Reactions: CB750

·
Registered
734 Posts
ACDelco 92269317 - ACDelco OE Shocks and Struts
Click here for more information about ACDelco 92269317 - ACDelco OE Shocks and Struts
Compare
Shock/Strut, OE, Gas-Charged, Stock, Each
(1)
Part Number: ADO-580-1085 More Detail...
Estimated Ship Date: 7/31/2020 (if ordered today)
$349.99

+ Cart

ACDelco 92269315 - ACDelco OE Shocks and Struts
Click here for more information about ACDelco 92269315 - ACDelco OE Shocks and Struts
Compare
Suspension Strut Assembly, Front, Driver Side, Chevrolet SS, Each
Not Yet Reviewed
Part Number: ADO-580-1083 More Detail...
Estimated Ship Date: Today
$560.99

+ Cart

ACDelco 92269316 - ACDelco OE Shocks and Struts
Click here for more information about ACDelco 92269316 - ACDelco OE Shocks and Struts
Compare
Suspension Strut Assembly, Front, Passenger Side, Chevrolet SS, Each
Not Yet Reviewed
Part Number: ADO-580-1084 More Detail...
Estimated Ship Date: Today
$531.99

+ Cart

fronts in stock, rears are a week out looks like.
1793 plus tax free shipping through summit, bet a coupon could be found and applied to lower it some. No idea if their is one time use bolts that might be needed, and alignment when completed even if so another 200 at most.
Wonder what book time is allowed for dealer to replace?

Reactions: z51vett
1 - 20 of 58 Posts