Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone - sorry for posting another thread that I'm sure has been covered elsewhere. I did some searches and read a couple threads - looking for some more recent opinions/experiences though if possible.

So, simple question - any regrets for anyone who bought a 16/17 Auto as their DD?

I'm eyeballing a 2017 PBM with ~25k miles as my new daily driver. Currently driving a 2012 G37X with about 125k on the dash - can probably squeeze at least another 50k out of this car but I'm getting antsy and the SS I'm looking at seems very competitively priced. Obviously have to do my due diligence and all that before pulling the trigger (hence this post ;)).

Some details - I'm in PA, drive about 35 miles a day round trip in pretty bad stop-and-go traffic (just outside Philadelphia - 76 is my daily hell). I expect to drive the car rain-or-shine, including through the winters with an appropriate set of tires.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, opinions, etc. Any information helps!

·
Premium Member
13,397 Posts
Here we go again ..... another auto vs man thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here we go again ..... another auto vs man thread.
Not my intent - truly. I wouldn't consider a manual for my DD for my daily commute.

Not asking about the auto with respect to the manual. Just whether it's serviceable vs. comparable automatic transmissions in similar vehicles.

·
Premium Member
13,397 Posts
Not my intent - truly. I wouldn't consider a manual for my DD for my daily commute.

Not asking about the auto with respect to the manual. Just whether it's serviceable vs. comparable automatic transmissions in similar vehicles.
I know but you are new and the manual forever hardheads will make this an auto vs man thread.

Very fine; especially after you teach it your driving style. It is adaptive learning.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Owned both Transmissions at same time. Recommend the automatic for your application. I avoid traffic at all costs in my 2015 six-stick (Drove from Tappan Zee Bridge to Athens GA in 12-hours...but left 430 am...leave 3 am from Athens to Dallas Texas just to avoid ATL traffic). Remote Start on 16/17 SS is a cool feature in Sport/Performance modes. 16/17 SS does drive better with lighter 2015 SS Alcoa Forged Wheels that you can pickup on this forum for your future ultimate Michelin Summer setup.

Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Can't really say "regrets" to much but there's a long list of things that bug me.

One thing I thought I was buying but ended up being disappointed about was having a lot of dealer and manufacturer support. So that's the closest thing to a regret for me. My car is a daily driver too, however you might want to own a backup daily driver just in case the you break a part that's no longer available.

Its a fun car, but the support hasn't been the smoothest. I bought it new thinking I'd have it for longer than I probably will be owning it.

Like others have said, I wouldn't want to make this an auto v manual thing, but there's a lot of great auto cars out there right now that better suit my current needs/wants. In other words, I accepted a bunch of annoyances for the manual option. I value my car, but I wouldn't make the same choice today. Don't regret my choice in purchase at all, but my perspective has changed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey everyone - sorry for posting another thread that I'm sure has been covered elsewhere. I did some searches and read a couple threads - looking for some more recent opinions/experiences though if possible.

So, simple question - any regrets for anyone who bought a 16/17 Auto as their DD?

I'm eyeballing a 2017 PBM with ~25k miles as my new daily driver. Currently driving a 2012 G37X with about 125k on the dash - can probably squeeze at least another 50k out of this car but I'm getting antsy and the SS I'm looking at seems very competitively priced. Obviously have to do my due diligence and all that before pulling the trigger (hence this post ;)).

Some details - I'm in PA, drive about 35 miles a day round trip in pretty bad stop-and-go traffic (just outside Philadelphia - 76 is my daily hell). I expect to drive the car rain-or-shine, including through the winters with an appropriate set of tires.

2016 Auto with 40K no regrets on the trans. But its not up to ME!

·
Registered
244 Posts
No regret on transmission. Sometimes wish id have gotten the car in Black though

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Can't really say "regrets" to much but there's a long list of things that bug me.

One thing I thought I was buying but ended up being disappointed about was having a lot of dealer and manufacturer support. So that's the closest thing to a regret for me. My car is a daily driver too, however you might want to own a backup daily driver just in case the you break a part that's no longer available.

Its a fun car, but the support hasn't been the smoothest. I bought it new thinking I'd have it for longer than I probably will be owning it.

Like others have said, I wouldn't want to make this an auto v manual thing, but there's a lot of great auto cars out there right now that better suit my current needs/wants. In other words, I accepted a bunch of annoyances for the manual option. I value my car, but I wouldn't make the same choice today. Don't regret my choice in purchase at all, but my perspective has changed.

What he said. Mines a daily as well but support kinda bugging me as well. Will see if I actually keep it as long as I thought now. Otherwise I do love the car. Been a great daily. Just definitely get winter wheels and tires.

·
Registered
389 Posts
i think a Manual would be best for frequent track events, hard driving out in the country, a drag car..... I got the Auto because I drove it and it was pretty good and my other cars are all manuals. The Auto allows you to enjoy the drive instead of just enjoying the car. if my car got totallleged today, I'd attempt to replace it with a manual version of an SS over an Auto now that I truly understand the cars chassis and its design intention from Holden. Until you own and drive a Holden V8.....you really do not understand. They are like nothing else....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Funny. A friend of mine was living in manyunk working in cinnaminson. Bought a modded g8gt. It wasn’t until I was driving my M6 ss in jersey traffic on rt1/9 and roads around I really understood. These aren’t fun with a stick in stop and go.

Sorry. I’m a stick or die hard head and will drive my vw tdi or s2000. Just not the ss. That and I don’t feel good worrying constantly about getting smashed into.

Again, I apologize. Stick or die.

·
Registered
27 Posts

I’d been driving a manual for the last 20 years. Traded in a 2016 Golf R on my SS with the auto and the car has so much going for it I rarely miss it. I live in the Northern Philly burbs where the roads get hilly and twisty. Down shifting into third heading into an nice curve is always missed.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I’ll jump in on this; however, my SS is not a daily driver. I started with a 2016 auto. I quickly decided the car was going to be a long term keeper. After 6 months, I decided the auto was nice, but the manual would be better. So. I traded my auto for a manual, and it was a decision I do not regret. I can actually “blame” a forum member for this swap. If he hadn’t posted that a nice manual SS was sitting at a dealer near him, I never would have known or looked. When I saw the car was only 6 hours away, I decided it was close enough to call the dealer to work a deal on the phone. My wife and kids are still convinced I did the swap simply to keep any of them from driving it since none of them can drive a manual (millennial theft prevention device). Even with the never-ending jokes of how crazy the old man is for swapping his 6 month old car for one that is identical in color and every other feature, I still am delighted I made the choice for the manual.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I know but you are new and the manual forever hardheads will make this an auto vs man thread.
Present and accounted for!! I thank the heaven and stars above that my Aussie gearheads made the 6M an option.

But, back on topic, there is ample evidence that the 6L80 is an impressive and durable unit that has found its way into many conversions behind LS swaps. As a 6M hardhead the Tremec is what puts the SS in exclusive territory, but if you must have an auto version (blasphemous!) then I think you're getting the best version of it.

Can I change my screen name? Mods please revise to "6M Hardhead"

·
Registered
67 Posts
Having experienced very few autos in performance cars before, I have been underwhelmed. Does it shift? Sure. Is it always in the gear I want it in? Not always. I liked the DSG in the Golf R better. It was faster and more responsive.

Having said that, I'm not not impressed by the performance of the vehicle as a whole after 3 years of ownership since new. And there are tunes to make the trans better if needed.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
The 6L80 usually sees a pretty long life (200k seems to be the average) with regular servicing - I mean hell, they came in trucks and cabs and cop cars for years, just about any decent trans shop can rebuild one , so if the car is stock, I can’t see it being much trouble for you.

My regrets are not having a 6M SS for weekend twisty back road fun (paddle shifting is cool, but just not the same) and not having enough tuning knowledge yet, otherwise as much as I hate autos, I can tolerate this one pretty well.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
I purchased a 2016 SS, auto trans with 40K. No regrets. One of the best, well-made cars of any manufacturer on the road today.

As for support from Chevy, I know from experience to expect ZERO competence from any Chevy service department. That's why I do my own work.

As for auto versus manual, I sometimes think I would like the SS with the manual trans but I do appreciate the ease of the auto and it is a great, reliable trans.

To satisfy my manual transmission needs, I have a 2011 C6 Grand Sport with a 6-speed manual.

·
Premium Member
13,397 Posts

See ???

What did I tell you.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts