Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 SS Mystic Green/6MT/no sunroof/spare
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently picked up my 2016 SS. Only problem is the sound (radio, turn signals, warning chimes, etc.) wasn't working when I picked it up and has not since. It also has an aftermarket amp, DSPs and speakers. At this point I'm not sure what's at fault, but would like to do some troubleshooting.

Thanks to my father, who got a spare radio with his 2015 he purchased last year, I have a spare head unit. I was wondering if there were any differences beyond the CD player or if I could just plug it into the 2016 and see if that brings back my sound.

Just wanted to check in and see before tearing apart the dash.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After a bit more poking around, I see the unit needs to be programmed to your VIN. Is this necessary to get any functionality, or could I plug it in and see if I at least got warning chimes, etc. back?

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I'd look in the passenger rear corner of your trunk, behind the side panel and check out the connection to the stock Bose amp. That's where the signal to power your amplifier should've come from. The head unit sends all of those sounds to the amp where it sends them to the individual speakers. I suspect someone just tapped into a rear speaker to give signal to your amp, so you're losing all the sounds that were originally sent to the front speakers. Your head unit probably isn't the issue.

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
4,126 Posts
If it was stock, I would say the amp is not working. All sounds are processed through the amp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd look in the passenger rear corner of your trunk, behind the side panel and check out the connection to the stock Bose amp. That's where the signal to power your amplifier should've come from. The head unit sends all of those sounds to the amp where it sends them to the individual speakers. I suspect someone just tapped into a rear speaker to give signal to your amp, so you're losing all the sounds that were originally sent to the front speakers. Your head unit probably isn't the issue.
The more I think about it, and the more I read, that's the conclusion I'm coming to. Everything about the infotainment works (radio, nav, etc.), I just get no sound out of it. And from reading the forums, when others have had this problem it's generally an intermittent thing, which is fixed when the car is restarted.

Oh well, more troubleshooting to do before throwing money at it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts