Chevy SS Forum banner

2014 Chevy SS vs. subsequent years

12K views 43 replies 24 participants last post by  SoCA-SS 
#1 ·
After driving my 16 SS (and enjoying every second), an out of state friend of mine is contemplating flying out of state to look at a low mileage PBM 14 SS. I've heard several members on our forum state that the 2014 SS is "different" than subsequent models. I am aware of the technical changes that took place between model years. Some have mentioned that the "seat of the pants" feel was different on the 14s. Many of our members have owned 14s as well as follow-on model years. For those of you who have, can you describe what makes the 14's driving experience different than other years? Again, not looking for a listing of what changed (already know that), .... more looking for a description of the "butt dyno" changes. Thanks in advance.

#5 ·
Same drive train and I'd guess the same weight or very close. Is it the suspension differences that affect launch? I was under the impression that the bimodal mufflers on the later models increased power like the previous C6 Vettes although never stated anywhere and could be an assumption on my end.

#4 · (Edited)
The suspension IS different. The latter models are softly sprung, made stiff by adjustable shock settings, whereas, '14's have a "sport" suspension with little comprimise. Working here at the dealer, I have driven all of them. For my tastes, the '14 feels more solid.

#7 ·
We had a 2014 and now have a 2016. The 14 has an old school suspension vs the mag ride on the newer ones. That said the 14 will actually out handle the newer ones by a fairly significant amount. The 2014s handle like a go cart, unfortunately they also ride like a go cart. That is why my wife wanted us to trade the the 2014 in on the 2016.
Other differences are the 2014 has better wheels and a CD player, but it does not have the dual mode exhaust.

If your friend is looking for a high performance car, the 2014 was actually the best year.....

#8 ·
16/17 wheels are a lot heavier, and when you add that much more rotating mass/sprung weight, you'll be slower since you're putting less horsepower to the ground. The suspension also has to work much harder to control that much more mass and the result is "fatter" feeling all around.

Run a chassis dyno with stock 16/17 wheels, and then again with lighter wheels/tires and you can easily pick up 10hp to the ground.

#9 ·
Once I had determined that I did not want a 6spd; all of the comments above are exactly why a 2014 was the only year I considered when I was shopping.

#10 ·
IMO, every post above is on target.

As adding to z51vett comment on computer, I also remember someone stating that due to our grand EPA rules, the '15 and forward were tuned down a bit. Someone may come along and verify or prove me wrong?

Suspension - yes, the '14, IMO, is a bit harsh & quite noisy on cement surfaces, but so what, you want a floating suspension, go CADI. SS is smooth at 70+ and BOSE drowns the noise - Or chose tar mat roads.

Wheels/rims - I feel there is an upsurge on demand for '14 OEM rims from owners of '15s on.
Could be the weight, could be the mfg method, could be the aesthetics ?
All I can really say, I got my hands on a dirt cheap extra mint set with new tires and I'm not sure I want to let any go. They actually sit stacked in dining room (garage full) with a glass top and IMO look great even though the GF rolls her eyes - hey, MY home, my DR!

#12 ·
IMO, every post above is on target.

As adding to z51vett comment on computer, I also remember someone stating that due to our grand EPA rules, the '15 and forward were tuned down a bit. Someone may come along and verify or prove me wrong?
'15 and up run a little richer in power enrichment mode from 3,750 RPM up to redline compared to the '14.

#11 ·
I also agree with all that has been said. I loved my '14, and yes, think it handled better and was faster. But at the end of the day, (that being 6hr days taking long road trips) my wife and I felt our old butt dyno's were getting plenty bruised. If we were taking short trips it wasn't too bad, but spend time going through 2 tanks of gas a day and you'll start looking for rest stops much more often.

It all depends what you are going to do with the car. I was willing to give up a bit of handling to get a softer quieter ride and the '16/17 model's "tour" mode helped in that area. I do hate the wheels on the 16/17 model years, but money can fix that. Money can fix increasing performance too, but to make a car have the ability to adjust the ride and vary the exhaust noise is much harder and expensive to do with after market options having the same type of quality that comes stock on this car.

Another reason many of us traded from the '14 was to take advantage of the huge discount that was offered when the '17's came out. We came out like a bandit there.

#13 ·
How many of you complaining about the ride on the 14s got rid of the RE50s though?

I swapped my RE50s for comparable summer tires of the same size and the ride quality improved dramatically. I would think now in 2019, very few 2014s will still have (or should) re50s installed.

#31 ·
I took the RE50s off the 2014 before they had 500 miles on them. Then again I took them off the the 2016 before they had 200 miles on them. (I need summer only tires in northern Ohio like I need a hole in my head.) In both cases I switched to the same relatively high performance, relatively low cost all season radials (I still run snows in the winter). Therefore I am comparing apples to apples and without a doubt Tour mode in the 16 rides much much softer than the 14 did and even in sport mode the 16 rides a little better.

Not saying there is anything wrong with the 14s. If you want 10/10s handling the 14 is definitely the way to go.

#14 ·
I think a big factor on getting a 14 is what you currently drive. I drove a 2001 silverado before, so to me the 14 felt amazing all around. If you come from a newer car with better suspension/power then the 14 might not be for you. I have no regrets on my 14. It was a great deal, it was a huge upgrade for me, and the enjoyment/attention I have gotten from it can't be compared.

#15 ·
I just sold my 2014 to my son this year and purchased a 2015 to get the rear Brembo's and magnetic ride. Also, really love the SLIH color that was not available in 2014. I think my 2014 has a better and quieter ride than my 2015- which was a big surprise to me. Always heard how great the mag ride was. I agree with SLA, I think its the tires. My 2014 already had Continental Extreme Contact tires all the way around when I purchased the car. I drove it from AL to FL the day I purchased it, and was amazed how comfortable the long drive was. My 2015 has the RE50's and I drove it home from VA. I didn't feel the ride was any better at all, in fact it seemed harsh, even in touring mode.
2014 is probably a little lighter with out mag ride.

Reactions: NebraskaSS
#16 ·
Here's another thing, those rear brembos in the 15+ don't really do the car any good.

The 14 is also the best because we all took a chance on a legendary vehicle and bought crappy automatics and sacrificed our bank accounts so you 15+ could your get manuals at 20% off. The Holden techs new they were losing their jobs, they put more love into the 2014.

Those are the facts!

#21 ·
Here's another thing, those rear brembos in the 15+ don't really do the car any good.

Oh rear brembos don't stop as well as the 14 does without them.
z51vett
Doug

Could one of you gentlemen kindly remind me of the braking performance figures between the 14 vs. 15-17 models. I'm assuming it refers to the distance to stop from "x" speed.

If the stopping distance is actually quite close, I have to wonder if the difference is merely due to the firmer suspension on the '14's.

Also, does your assessment (that the '14's are better) take into account the relative heat capacity of the rear Brembos vs. the non-Brembos? Will the '14 cars still stop shorter after several hot laps around a circuit?

(BTW> These are actual questions - I do not know the answer)

#19 ·
I just upgraded mine to rear CTS-V1 brembo brakes. They do look way better and were a cheap enough upgrade.

#26 · (Edited)
110ft 60 to 0 14 and 15 cars
108ft 60 to 0 16 and 17 cars

per several online mag reviews.

Interesting. That points more to the wheel weight than the suspension (as Yoram suggested) if the '15 matched the '14's braking performance.

EDIT: Wait, wait wait . . . did you get the stopping distances reversed? Isn't the 14/15 supposed to stop shorter?

#24 ·
What is the sample size? I submit that these differences (<2%) are well within the margin of error. I have to believe (without actual data from these cars) that the fixed caliper cars are more fade resistant. I would also stipulate that the rotational inertia of the cast wheels on the 16/17 MY cancels some, much, all or more than all of any advantage from Magneride and rear Brembos.

Reactions: good2go
#27 ·
... and I run the Forgestars, uhh, 3 of them (one busted).

#30 ·
I actually forged my Brembos out of Alcoa's, and I know a girl that's bimodal... :grin

#37 · (Edited)
Split hairs much? All of these performance metrics people are within a margin of error. The test drivers are at least experienced at testing and at best, professional drivers, so for typical drivers you're not going to do as well.

Yup, my wheels are heavier, my manual is slower to 60, and my suspension is softer...I couldn't care less. For someone looking at a used SS, try not to let the fragility of your ego influence the decision too much. If a few 10ths to 60 and a few feet longer back to 0 matters, there are ways to improve beyond OEM and then you feel content again.

#40 ·
^^ Given that this is all true, how was it ever determined that the rear Brembos were the sole contributing factor to the lesser braking performance? How were the obvious suspension changes between 14 and 15 eliminated from the equation? Did anyone ever retrofit a 2014 with the rear Brembos and then see their stopping distances increase (in controlled testing)?

#43 ·
This thread made me feel much better about tomorrows purchase. I'll be coming from a 2017 Camaro SS without mag ride so the ride might be similar? I made the dealer replace the rear tires before I purchase, he said he bought tires to match the fronts. I don't know the exact model tire but the treadwear was 140 and it said Potenza on it. Sounds like I'll have a loud ride for a little while. FL roads are generally decent.

#44 ·
This thread made me feel much better about tomorrows purchase. I'll be coming from a 2017 Camaro SS without mag ride so the ride might be similar? I made the dealer replace the rear tires before I purchase, he said he bought tires to match the fronts. I don't know the exact model tire but the treadwear was 140 and it said Potenza on it. Sounds like I'll have a loud ride for a little while. FL roads are generally decent.

I hope not.
they are like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.