Chevy SS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,080 Posts
Thanks, I tried to keep my input short, but maybe too short. I already processed the PPV/Caprice alternator, it's been on backorder. For a battery, the price wouldn't bother me so much. I just don't want to invite more problems than I hope to solve. I have the Holden Tow Kit, and my custom trailer lights get a tad thirsty.
I believe XS may have a big dog in the game, then there is lithium. I know there are others, can't recall the thread...

Reactions: z51vett

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,558 Posts
I believe XS may have a big dog in the game, then there is lithium. I know there are others, can't recall the thread...

I watched this video or something similar a few years back. I recall someone posted that a lithium-iron sulfate battery may not dance well with our ECM or coils —I can't remember. If that isn't the case, I'm just the sort of (insert own vernacular) to give it a try.

Reactions: 15SuperSport

·
Registered
734 Posts
voltage is voltage, long as the correct voltage is getting to the parts how/where the voltage comes from i would bet to be not relevant. How the "car" is set up to charge/maintain the battery could/would be the concern with battery type.

Reactions: z51vett

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
You would be correct on both points. (win your bet)

As for the charging, lithium batteries require a specialized charging system. IF there were charged directly from the cars system it would not end well. But they are not, they have their own intelligent charging system built into the battery.

·
Super Moderator
7,080 Posts
Thanks, I tried to keep my input short, but maybe too short. I already processed the PPV/Caprice alternator, it's been on backorder. For a battery, the price wouldn't bother me so much. I just don't want to invite more problems than I hope to solve. I have the Holden Tow Kit, and my custom trailer lights get a tad thirsty.

Reactions: SaberOne

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
I recall seeing this company website back before they produced one of these' —forgot all about it since then. Thanks to you, I was able to cancel the PPV/Caprice Alternator and order it. So much for paying down my bank card this month.🤜

Reactions: 15SuperSport

·
Super Moderator
7,080 Posts
I recall seeing this company website back before they produced one of these' —forgot all about it since then. Thanks to you, I was able to cancel the PPV/Caprice Alternator and order it. So much for paying down my bank card this month.🤜
You're supposed to tell me you bought it with stimulus money, then I can write my taxes off as a charitable contribution... ;)
Hope you spent extra on the black anodized, sure would look good under that Heron hood. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
You're supposed to tell me you bought it with stimulus money, then I can write my taxes off as a charitable contribution... ;)
Hope you spent extra on the black anodized, sure would look good under that Heron hood. :cool:
I haven't received my check yet. AnyWho, I added the Billet backside, but I fought the temptation to add color. I got hooked on the red but then thought it might look too funky on a sleeper. I prefer the Tim Allen '68 COPO approach. However, I didn't consider the 'black' as a lower tone look' without being too much.

I just got off the phone with Anthony at DS Power Eng. Anthony has been their 10-years and he offered good information. He said that I'm the first SS Sedan customer.🤞 I kind of like the distinction.

·
Super Moderator
7,080 Posts
I haven't received my check yet. AnyWho, I added the Billet back, but I fought the temptation to add color. I got hooked on the red but then thought it might look too funky. I kinda like the Tim Allen approach. However, I didn't consider the 'black' as a lower tone look' without being too much. I may give them a call and change it.
The few pics are cool, looks like a lot of options in the drop down. I think with my radiator cover I'd just do the standard billet and a tank full of good stuff. (y)

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Here we are 5 months later and this story is not over. My new battery is dead. I mean 1.7 volts dead and the charger does not even see it when I hook it up. So I took it back to the dealer, they checked it out and said it had a bad cell. They gave me a new battery at no cost. Original battery lasted 7 years the new one only lasts 4 months. Guess I jinked myself when talking about my 7 year battery.
It seems like a number of these are failing out of the gate. Read a couple of similar stories on Summit. The luck of the draw or something else. I was looking at the Odessy based on their rep, and they do not appear to use Johnson Controls. Then again, they don't have the vent tube provision.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
the won't appear to use Johnson Controls as they got out of the business almost 2 years ago now...check for Clarios as they are the buyer of Johnson Controls battery business...good luck with your choice

Bill

·
Super Moderator
7,080 Posts
I believe Odyssey is EnerSys

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
This should be in the "What did you do with your SS today" thread however, I thought I would finish what I started.

Charged up the new battery and anyone that does not do that first is screwing up. Using my new CTEK (MXS 5.0)
charger. The battery reached stage 4 "Ready To Use" in about 4 hours. Good you say? Not really because it did not reach stage 7 "Battery Fully Charged" for another 6 hours. That is a total of 10 hours charging for a brand new battery from the dealer. I do not know if that is normal however, I do know it was worth listening to whoever said charge it before you use it because it definitely needed to be charged.

Installing the battery with the help of CB's instructions was a breeze. Of course, not nearly as easy as a battery replacement in my 91 Chevy pickup, but no so bad. Thanks CB.
I charged up new battery for my 14 SS took about 6 hours after two battery’s it was good till I traded SS for 16 SS charged up battery when I got it home about 6 hours traded SS for 17 SS charged up battery when I got it home and my son in-laws new 17 SS after 7 hours he had to leave for NJ not fully charged fast forward SS is 4 years old 42,000 miles still starts good son in-laws car has 22,000 miles still starts good. Just saying charge up new battery’s till full charged. My 16 Z06 battery died almost 3 years to date it ran out of warranty bought exact replacement took good ten hours to reach fully charge cars has 18,000 miles it sits a lot bought battery tender every month or so hook it up c Tec the ones GM sells.

·
Registered
583 Posts
So true, need to fully charge prior to installing. Over the past three months I have installed 6 batteries between boat and cars. All non SS cars and all AGM batteries. One car and the boat got odysseys and other two cars got Bosch. The odysseys all took less than 3 hours to get up to full charge and the Bosch took between 5-7 hours. My old boat odysseys were almost 7 years old and still had solid numbers but I take no chances with boat batteries...kind of like tires for me, replace at 7 years regardless of wear. Boat is stored with charger, these cars are not however.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
I believe Odyssey is EnerSys
I looked at the Odyssey but without a vent port, I passed. I just picked up a 48AGM🔋760-CCA at the dealership and crossed my fingers. It's still cooking on the CTEK.⚡

·
Registered
456 Posts
My 2011 PPV battery is still going strong. I keep it on a tender when I remember to plug it in. The car has 10K miles on it.
Aaaand it's dead... I left it off the tender for a month or so and it wouldn't bring it back. Oh well. It had a good run. For the record, this was the aux battery that I put in the primary spot after that one died a few years ago.

·
Registered
734 Posts

post 1415

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
I just bought the same battery from Rock Auto. How much was it at the dealer?
I hope yours arrives fine...several here and elsewhere have reported batteries shipped have arrived damaged and that was enough to keep me from thinking I'd buy online...

Bill

Reactions: good2go

·
Registered
734 Posts
Got wife's from summit a year ago, shipped and received just fine.

Reactions: SilverSport
41 - 60 of 68 Posts