Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2007 buick lucerne had the factory battery in it when I sold it 2 years ago, all the info dots were punched for 2006. That and my 2014 caprice has the original batteries in it also they are both marked for 2013. I'm convinced ACDelco batteries are the best batteries you can buy. Knock on wood!

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have a new AC Delco battery and it is on the workbench cooking as we speak. I have one more question.
When I pull the old battery will I lose all presets or does the car have a non-volatile computer.

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,473 Posts
You will lose some but, not all.
Don't ask me which ones, though.

Reactions: scooter trash

·
Premium Member
15,024 Posts
You will lose some but, not all.
Don't ask me which ones, though.
I forget which one or 2 but nothin' important.

Don't forget to reindex the windows !!!

1. The ignition must be in ON/ RUN or ACC/ACCESSORY, or Retained Accessory Power (RAP).
2. Press and hold the power window switch until the window is fully open.
3. Pull the power window switch up until the window is fully closed and keep holding the switch up for an additional two seconds.
4. Repeat for each window.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks Willy and CB. This is a great forum with great people.😄

Reactions: willy92

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
This should be in the "What did you do with your SS today" thread however, I thought I would finish what I started.

Charged up the new battery and anyone that does not do that first is screwing up. Using my new CTEK (MXS 5.0)
charger. The battery reached stage 4 "Ready To Use" in about 4 hours. Good you say? Not really because it did not reach stage 7 "Battery Fully Charged" for another 6 hours. That is a total of 10 hours charging for a brand new battery from the dealer. I do not know if that is normal however, I do know it was worth listening to whoever said charge it before you use it because it definitely needed to be charged.

Installing the battery with the help of CB's instructions was a breeze. Of course, not nearly as easy as a battery replacement in my 91 Chevy pickup, but no so bad. Thanks CB.

·
Premium Member
15,024 Posts
Look at where the battery was made !!!!

Every battery I have ever got required about an hour on the GR8 to fully charge.

I check the volts beforehand and usually a bit low to moderately low. Nothing low enough to make me get another off the shelf.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
having bought 6 car batteries in the last 2 years for various cars I take care of (and I always try to buy the best I can afford...not the most expensive but no economy batteries for me) it has surprised me, at least at first that it has taken more than 8 hours to fully charge those batteries on my Battery Tender Plus...with the exception of the Delco battery I bought at Menard's for the CTS Sport Wagon, they were all made within the month I bought them...and all were marked Johnson Controls Inc/Clarios (the buyer of JCI)

good luck with yours...I'm sure it's fine

Bill

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
It's not really surprising that it took 8+ hours to fully charge with a Battery Tender Plus. Because it maximum output is 1.25 amps.

It means you started with a battery with a state of charge in the region of 90%. i.e. That's what you want when you buy a new battery!

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
thanks...it concerned me on the first battery but by the time I got doing it for all of them I figured it was normal...appreciate the intel Sheffield Steve and others here...

Bill

·
Registered
159 Posts
Since I started this thread I started looking at chargers and think I will get the CTEK MXS 5.0
I got this one recently and love it. Charged up the wife's non-AGM and the SS's AGM within a couple of hours... The Aramda took 10+ hours... the SS was done in about 4.

//Brew

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Here we are 5 months later and this story is not over. My new battery is dead. I mean 1.7 volts dead and the charger does not even see it when I hook it up. So I took it back to the dealer, they checked it out and said it had a bad cell. They gave me a new battery at no cost. Original battery lasted 7 years the new one only lasts 4 months. Guess I jinked myself when talking about my 7 year battery.

·
Super Moderator
3,143 Posts
Here we are 5 months later and this story is not over. My new battery is dead. I mean 1.7 volts dead and the charger does not even see it when I hook it up. So I took it back to the dealer, they checked it out and said it had a bad cell. They gave me a new battery at no cost. Original battery lasted 7 years the new one only lasts 4 months. Guess I jinked myself when talking about my 7 year battery.
In light of the recent posts from you Scooter,,,,, Your unicorn is sending a message to you,,,, its,,,,

THIS!!!

:p

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
That's too funny! :D
Because as we were coming back from the dealer with the new battery I told Susie maybe this is a sign that we shouldn't sell the SS. Just too funny!

Reactions: ESindon

·
Super Moderator
7,080 Posts
Ruh roh. Sounds like your SS may have overheard the Caddy conversation. I think a date night cruise with you and Susie may be in order, but if the weather doesn't permit I think a quick massage with detail spray would suffice. ;)

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,558 Posts
I would like to find a slightly higher-rated battery with tube venting. The stock battery is not quite enough to support my McGuiver mods.

·
Super Moderator
7,080 Posts
I would like to find a slightly higher-rated battery with tube venting. The stock battery is not quite enough to support my McGuiver mods.
There are some monsters listed in a battery thread somewhere. Big power, big money. I'd start with the Caprice alternator. (y)

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,558 Posts
There are some monsters listed in a battery thread somewhere. Big power, big money. I'd start with the Caprice alternator. (y)
Thanks, I tried to keep my input short, but maybe too short. I already processed the PPV/Caprice alternator, it's been on backorder. For a battery, the price wouldn't bother me so much. I just don't want to invite more problems than I hope to solve. I have the Holden Tow Kit, and my custom trailer lights get a tad thirsty.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts