Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
This is from the "Battery Believe It or Not" files...

There is a lot of information on this forum about our batteries. How to charge them, how to not charge them. What to buy when it is time to replace them when they die and on and on.
This thread has nothing to do with those topics this thread is for the mere purpose to inform you that my 2014 SS built November 2013 (the same production line as Pinetree)
has finally started to give up the ghost after 7 years. It still starts but struggles.

Hard to believe since; I did not use a battery charger or battery tender, did not use transport mode and it sits outside in all kinds of weather (except hurricanes where it hides in the city garage) also, Pinetree replaced his battery 2017 and both of our cars were made at the same time 7 years ago!?

Now this may be a fluke and these batteries do not normally last 7 years however, I am going to buy another AC Delco to replace this one. What's the worse that can happen?
It only lasts 3 years?

Anyone else with a 7 year old SS battery or have I won the battery longevity award. 馃榾

Premium Member
I think you won.

Get one now; the next time you try to use it it may be toast.

It has been 'bad' for quite a while; you rolled the dice and won; so far that is.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I think you won.

Get one now; the next time you try to use it it may be toast.

It has been 'bad' for quite a while; you rolled the dice and won; so far that is.
Going to get one this afternoon. Dealership has them on sale $194.95 down from $284.48. Then onto disassembling the rear of the car. What fun !!

Registered
That's going to be hard to beat!

Mine's getting close to six years old and still tests good. From the readings it gets, I suspect it's got less than 12 months before it will need to be replaced.

Premium Member
Going to get one this afternoon. Dealership has them on sale $194.95 down from $284.48. Then onto disassembling the rear of the car. What fun !!
It's easy if you follow my instructions.

Registered

Anyone else with a 7 year old SS battery or have I won the battery longevity award. 馃榾
I have matched and even exceeded that on numerous other vehicles (2 Jeeps , 1 Infiniti, 1 Honda, 1 Mazda, 1 Ford, 1 Chevy), but not the SS . . . yet.

It is always nice to know you got your money's worth out of them. ;)

Premium Member
... for the unknowing masses:

Registered
Replace ASAP, it's going to bite you in the ass soon...I have an opposite problem on my 15...I have had an issue with the battery going on since new...After 4 to 5 days of sitting, it goes DEAD and even with a brand new battery...There is a constant draw from somewhere...Since my car was modded right after I bought, I've never wanted to go to Chevrolet and have them go anywhere near my computer...But my builder did have a Chevy tech test it over the weekend at his shop and showed no appreciable draw...After 4 warranteed batteries from O'Reilly I just bought one from Pep Boys (Interstate) for $165 OTD...It's less than 10 minute switch and good luck for next 7 years.

Greg

Registered
Knew a guy that bought an Interstate battery for his Ford F150 (1975) in I think 1988 and he had it for 18 years till the fall of 2005 no joke he had it that long before it just went dead with no warning, no sluggish start, dim lights, warning lights nothing just shut it off at home so when he jumped into it again nothing just dead silence.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Knew a guy that bought an Interstate battery for his Ford F150 (1975) in I think 1988 and he had it for 18 years till the fall of 2005 no joke he had it that long before it just went dead with no warning, no sluggish start, dim lights, warning lights nothing just shut it off at home so when he jumped into it again nothing just dead silence.
18 years!! I must have gotten a cheap one with only 7 years of use.:)

Reactions: z51vett

Registered
... for the unknowing masses:

Does the replacement battery need to be "registered" for the SS? I scanned through the install thread, however I did not see mention of this. Doesn't mean it isn't mentioned. It's possible I overlooked it.

Premium Member
Does the replacement battery need to be "registered" for the SS? I scanned through the install thread, however I did not see mention of this. Doesn't mean it isn't mentioned. It's possible I overlooked it.
NO

Flashing the vehicle when a new battery is installed is usually reserved for stop-start vehicles.

Reactions: McSkillet

Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!

There is a lot of information on this forum about our batteries. How to charge them, how to not charge them. What to buy when it is time to replace them when they die and on and on.
This thread has nothing to do with those topics this thread is for the mere purpose to inform you that my 2014 SS built November 2013 (the same production line as Pinetree)
has finally started to give up the ghost after 7 years. It still starts but struggles.

Hard to believe since; I did not use a battery charger or battery tender, did not use transport mode and it sits outside in all kinds of weather (except hurricanes where it hides in the city garage) also, Pinetree replaced his battery 2017 and both of our cars were made at the same time 7 years ago!?

Now this may be a fluke and these batteries do not normally last 7 years however, I am going to buy another AC Delco to replace this one. What's the worse that can happen?
It only lasts 3 years?

I think I've got you beat. Build date 8/13, delivery date 10/13, I bought it 5/14 with 89 miles on it.

I had to jump start mine about 2 months ago. Until then it has never been on a charger. With only 33,000 miles on it, it sits a few days at a time. So, I bought an Optima charger, which read that my battery had a 25% charge. So I charged it over the weekend and it's been good ever since.
20201109_141632.jpg

Registered
18 years!! I must have gotten a cheap one with only 7 years of use.:)

Yeah he then sent a satire letter to Interstate telling them how disappointed he was on how their battery stranded him. But deep down it was I got more than my monies worth out of it, and thanks for making a excellent battery. Sadly the truck got T boned in I think 2010 or 11 when some teen on a cell phone blew through a red light. It was that copper brown that Ford had, short bed with a 351 W and C6.

Premium Member

It only lasts 3 years?

I have a 2014 with 46000 miles on it. Born 8/15/13. I have a brand new Delco sitting on a tender waiting to go in.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
I think I've got you beat. Build date 8/13, delivery date 10/13, I bought it 5/14 with 89 miles on it.

I had to jump start mine about 2 months ago. Until then it has never been on a charger. With only 33,000 miles on it, it sits a few days at a time. So, I bought an Optima charger, which read that my battery had a 25% charge. So I charged it over the weekend and it's been good ever since. View attachment 285404
Does your remote start work when the battery is weak?

Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
Not if it is so low that it needs a jump. But, I only had to jump start it once,so, I don't know.

Registered
My 2011 PPV battery is still going strong. I keep it on a tender when I remember to plug it in. The car has 10K miles on it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
My 2011 PPV battery is still going strong. I keep it on a tender when I remember to plug it in. The car has 10K miles on it.
You used a battery tender to extend the life of the battery. Interesting. Guess I should get one for the new battery.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts