Chevy SS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Banned
32 Posts
Q1,,,, YUP!!!

Q2,,,,Nope!!!

Brad,,, at Trans-Action in Sun Valley/Burbank California!!! Right down the street from Dick Guldstrand!!!!

Tremec is not exclusive to GM Bro!!!! They provide to EVERYBODY!!!

es
RPM Transmissions do all Domestics,
but I don't associate with the garbage from Ford / Dodge.
GM or get lost, is my position.

Never heard of your buddy.
But, glad you've got him to support you, out there in California (y):)

I fell for the trans fluid miracle fix once before, and wasted my money.
I think it's BS, and just a psychological band-aid.

But, whatever makes y'all happy (y):)

·
Super Moderator
7,574 Posts
What makes me happy are smoother shifts. My psychological bandaid must be one of those fancy ones with medicine on it, cuz me mental boo boo feels all better now. ;)

·
Banned
32 Posts
What makes me happy are smoother shifts. My psychological bandaid must be one of those fancy ones with medicine on it, cuz me mental boo boo feels all better now. ;)
Perception is all that matters. (y)
I'm just saying that I did the fluid swap , and I feel I was sold BS.

·
Super Moderator
7,574 Posts
Perception is all that matters...
Perception
noun
the ability to see, hear, or become aware of something through the senses.

Your statement is spot on, as is my ability to see, hear, and become aware of something through my senses, which I did.

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,661 Posts
Fluid...Use the Amsoil torque drive.

90% of dealers don't have technicians capable of manual transmission repair...I'm serious!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
OK.
How did your transmissions shift BEFORE the Amsoil Torque Drive?
How about afterwards?

How do you think the fluid affects your warranty?
warranty ? LMFAO !!!!

there isnt much life left , and techs that know manuals are harder to find with all the slush box buyers

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
90% of dealers don't have technicians capable of manual transmission repair...I'm serious!
This is not really true. A manual transmission is actually very simple to work on. I can do it. An automatic transmission is much more complicated than a manual, in my opinion. The key to making it "easy" is having the special tools which many dealers may not have because they're not required to have them because so few vehicles come with manuals any more. As long as they have a trans tech that can work on an automatic, they have a tech that can work on a manual.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
How do you think the fluid affects your warranty?
It doesn't as long as it isn't green or something to make it obvious it isn't the factory fluid. If the fluid meets the proper specifications, it is good to go anyway. Just like how you aren't required only to buy the engine oil the dealer sells, it just has to meet the proper specifications. All out failures of manual transmissions are extremely rare, especially in stock vehicles.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Perception
noun
the ability to see, hear, or become aware of something through the senses.

Your statement is spot on, as is my ability to see, hear, and become aware of something through my senses, which I did.
I was obviously using the following definition and example.
The suggestion that a trans fluid will magically fix the issues people are able to physically and audibly demonstrate, is a fantasy.
Regardless of how silly, if that's your perception, that's your reality.
Ignorance is bliss.
I'm sincerely jealous.

Perception
noun
  • a way of regarding, understanding, or interpreting something; a mental impression.
    "Hollywood's perception of the tastes of the American public"

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
It is absolutely possible for fluid to fix a transmission. I’ve done it personally in manuals and automatics. I did a C5 years back that only had 30k miles on it and the transmission shifted horrible and I suggested to give new fluid a go and we used the GM fluid and that transmission shifted like butter afterwords. Neither of us could believe the difference. When I bought my 2008 Escalade (used) it was jerking and bucking on WOT and I thought for sure the first order of business was going to be a new transmission. I replaced the filter and fluid, reset the shift adapts, and I’ve been driving it (hard) for 3 almost years now. Unfortunately, the same results did not happen with my SS. I changed the fluid with GM fluid and Mobil 1 fluid and found no difference at all. Then I tried the Amsoil Torque Drive and could immediately tell it was better but not where it should be.

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,661 Posts
This is not really true. A manual transmission is actually very simple to work on. I can do it. An automatic transmission is much more complicated than a manual, in my opinion. The key to making it "easy" is having the special tools which many dealers may not have because they're not required to have them because so few vehicles come with manuals any more. As long as they have a trans tech that can work on an automatic, they have a tech that can work on a manual.
You would think so, but, out of the 5 domestic dealers that I have worked for, with several different trans techs, only one was able to actually "repair one", and I helped him because, it was my car! All the other times they fool around with it so long that management finally caves in and replaces it. But, hey,...that's in LA.

Now, import dealers are different. When I was a Mazda tech, it was the other way around, we replaced automatics and fixed stick shifts.

Reactions: ESindon

·
Banned
32 Posts
It is absolutely possible for fluid to fix a transmission. I’ve done it personally in manuals and automatics. I did a C5 years back that only had 30k miles on it and the transmission shifted horrible and I suggested to give new fluid a go and we used the GM fluid and that transmission shifted like butter afterwords. Neither of us could believe the difference. When I bought my 2008 Escalade (used) it was jerking and bucking on WOT and I thought for sure the first order of business was going to be a new transmission. I replaced the filter and fluid, reset the shift adapts, and I’ve been driving it (hard) for 3 almost years now. Unfortunately, the same results did not happen with my SS. I changed the fluid with GM fluid and Mobil 1 fluid and found no difference at all. Then I tried the Amsoil Torque Drive and could immediately tell it was better but not where it should be.
OK.
Well, I replaced the fluid with the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, and any improvement was minimal, or just my perception being clouded by the placebo effect.
Can't see the Amsoil or Royal Purple, etc, offering any perceived improvement over that, if at all.

If I try the Amsoil just to avoid being a contrarian,
will GM or the dealer be able to recognize that I ran fluid that is different from what Tremec officially recommends?

·
Super Moderator
7,574 Posts
The suggestion that a trans fluid will magically fix the issues people are able to physically and audibly demonstrate, is a fantasy.
Ignorance is bliss.
I'm sincerely jealous.

Perception
noun
  • a way of regarding, understanding, or interpreting something; a mental impression.

Well, I guess that all of us that have felt an improvement have a perception that is a silly fantasy, and we are happy because we are ignorant. Good to know.
Many of us have also found that Royal Purple is actually a step in the wrong direction, and that shifts become more notchy and the gates feel "dry" as you struggle to slide in to the next gear compared to stock, Mobil and Amsoil. Your experience will probably differ as you seem to have all of the answers, even though your first post in this thread was a question (followed by telling everyone who offered their personal experience as an answer that they were ignorant at best).
It's a pleasure having you here, keep up the good work. (y)

·
Super Moderator
3,565 Posts
Ignorance is bliss.
I'm sincerely jealous.

Perception
noun

Danger!!! Tread carefully!!!

ES

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,661 Posts
Wow!

·
Banned
32 Posts
I've done the recommendations discussed on this forum.
The mods that we're claimed to offer significant improvements did not prove to have the same results for me.

No one should try to dismiss my real life experiences with my SS.
or try to dismiss my opinions based on them.

You have your right to your opinion, and I have the right to mine.

·
Super Moderator
14,323 Posts
"Rights" on this forum do not extend to demeaning, derogatory, or otherwise abasing comments or actions directed toward other members of the forum, particularly those who offer possible solutions to the problem or issue that any member brings to the open forum asking for advice.
Such responses are dealt with rapidly and severely with as much consistency as can be achieved.

·
Super Moderator
7,574 Posts
I've done the recommendations discussed on this forum.
The mods that we're claimed to offer significant improvements did not prove to have the same results for me.

No one should try to dismiss my real life experiences with my SS.
or try to dismiss my opinions based on them.

You have your right to your opinion, and I have the right to mine.
I'm sorry that you were unable to solve your grind issues.
As for your real life experiences or any attempt to try to dismiss your opinions based on them, that is kind of the opposite of what actually happened. No one here attempted to dismiss or discount your experiences or opinions based on them. We offered only what has worked for many of us, trying to help you with your issue. In response to those suggestions, we were told in post #41 that the fluid change was a "psychological band aid", in post #49 we were told that the idea that a fluid change could help with the grind issue was "silly", and a "fantasy", and that we were happy, or blissful due to our ignorance.
In the end, we tried to help with an issue that many of us have experienced, and the improvement that we at least perceived through a fluid change. We were all insulted, basically called ignorant, silly, and living in a fantasy world, simply for trying to help you. In other words, our real life experiences with our SS', and our opinions based on them, were dismissed by you, not the other way around.
Of course you have a right to your opinion, and nobody attempted to tell you otherwise. Oddly enough, in post #30 after a fluid change to Mobil ATF you called the improvement "barely noticeable", and in post #52 you noted that "any improvement was minimal". I guess that you then must have taken the same placebo that we did but with less effect, or the minimal and/or barely noticeable improvement was just that, an improvement.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts