Chevy SS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
It is certainly in the realm of possibility. Or perhaps the GM fluid is exactly in the range Tremec engineers specified. That’s what makes the fact that Tremec has made a change to the synchronizer interesting as well. If they thought the solution was fluid it would be a lot easier to just change the spec.

Also, people say Dexron VI is the same as the manual transmission fluid specified in the owner’s manual, p/n 88861800. It would be interesting to know if they have the same friction modifiers or not.
Do NOT use Dexron VI in a manual transmission or transfer case. The "Manual Transmission Fluid" is Dexron III.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
If you find the thread titled, "M6 Owners Change Your Transmission Fluid", That has the specific Amsoil transmission fluid recommendation. It is not the product with the word "torque" in it, although I believe Doug said that it would work. It has "Multi Vehicle" and "AFE" in its title. I mentioned in that thread that I changed to that fluid and specified the several reasons why. Changing the fluid, in retrospect, may have helped some. May….
There's another thread that highly recommends the Amsoil Torque Drive. I've been tempted to try it but I don't want to waste a ton of money trying all different kinds of fluids.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
For whatever it is worth, I dropped my manual fluid for Amsoil Torque Drive at 10k. I think I added a longer synopsis in the never-ending thread for manual fluid that is around here. Anyway, I did not have a big issue with 1st-2nd being notchy. I just changed the fluid to be proactive, and I thought the Amsoil (or other high end fluids people recommend here) would be an improvement over the stock. Long story short, the shift feel did get better in my car. Like a said, it was not really an issue before, but there was a noticeable change in a positive direction.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Do NOT use Dexron VI in a manual transmission or transfer case. The "Manual Transmission Fluid" is Dexron III.

No need to worry here. When I service my vehicles they only get the factory recommended fluids. If I deviate it is done with research and full knowledge of risks and benefits.

With that said, I’m curious why you single out Dexron VI as incompatible with manual transmissions and transfer cases. Is there something inherently dangerous about it in those applications?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
No need to worry here. When I service my vehicles they only get the factory recommended fluids. If I deviate it is done with research and full knowledge of risks and benefits.

With that said, I’m curious why you single out Dexron VI as incompatible with manual transmissions and transfer cases. Is there something inherently dangerous about it in those applications?
I don't remember the exact reason because Dexron VI came out in 2007 but if I remember correctly it's because the fluid is thinner and will hurt the synchronizers but I also think I remember being told that it will foam/froth. The bulletin from when Dex VI was released says not to use Dex VI in manual transmissions and transfer cases (some transfer cases can use Dex VI) and to use Dex III which is now the "Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid."

·
Registered
528 Posts
Seeing this thread is a relief. I thought I was going crazy, my 1-2 shift engages roughly sometimes--almost feels like a grind--even when I know my clutch work was fine. I hope a fluid change does the trick.

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
Interesting. I have the issue with my GXP.
Changed fluid (Redline D4) and now it’s notchy in all gears. Might send it to Tick for a rebuild.

·
Super Moderator
3,565 Posts
I paid the dealer to swap out the trans fluid to the ONLY fluid Tremec recommends. (Mobil ATF?) Regardless, the improvement was barely noticeable.

THIS!!!!!!

I had. Z06 with trans issues 1 to 2nd Amsol torque drive did it for me just saying
Works like a charm,,,, will have your tranny shifting,,,,,

I swap mine every year regardless of mileage and will only use,,,,, Amsoil Torque Drive,,,,, PERIOD!!!

Good Luck!!

:cool:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
The Torque Drive didn't make much of an improvement on my car but an improvement none the less. I still think it needs hard parts but I'm debating about doing it because what if the new parts are the exact same.

·
Banned
32 Posts
THIS!!!!!!

Works like a charm,,,, will have your tranny shifting,,,,,

I swap mine every year regardless of mileage and will only use,,,,, Amsoil Torque Drive,,,,, PERIOD!!!

Good Luck!!

:cool:

OK.
How did your transmissions shift BEFORE the Amsoil Torque Drive?
How about afterwards?

How do you think the fluid affects your warranty?

·
Super Moderator
3,565 Posts
OK.
How did your transmissions shift BEFORE the Amsoil Torque Drive?
How about afterwards?

How do you think the fluid affects your warranty?
Picked it up new in Warren MI,, 9/29/17. From the jump,, I noticed the very notchy resistance on ALL the shift points, particularly 1-2!! Thought,, OK,,, just break in blues??? NNAAHHHHH!!! Drove it all the way back to LA and true,,, it got a bit more "Broke In" along the trip back to La La Land,,, but bothered me nonetheless!!

I started doing research on the issue along the 2650 mile, 12 day adventure, stopping along the way at family and friends!! When I got it back to LA the plan was always to dump all the break in fills out and service it all myself!!! Did that, Engine, Diff, Trans. Went to Redline D4 in the trans and THAT made ALL THE DIFFERENCE!!! Did a bit more research and decided, after chatting an old buddy that runs one of the last Manual Trans rebuild shops on the planet,, to go with,,, based on his experience and recommendation,,, the Amsoil Torque Drive,, on the next fill,,, and as GOOD as the D4 is (You really cant go wrong with EITHER one,,, BTW!!),,, the Amsoil is just an NTH better all the way around!!!

The only notchy shifts that I experience now,,, are when I am late on the clutch for some stupid reason/instance!!!!

As far as the warranty,,,, I am now at 44K, and have NO issues, whatsoever. I don't anticipate any problems BUT,,, if it blows at like 60,001,,, NO Worries!!! I got a buddy that I have done business with for over 30+ years,,, going all the way back to the days of my Muncie equipped Rat's that can do these builds pretty much in his sleep,, cuz thats what he does for a living all day long!!!! In fact,,, if that happens,, it will leave his shop with all of the upgrade parts available for Tremec 6 series that will make it that much more bulletproof,, and better than new!!!

Since you asked,,, I'm Jus Sayin!!!! My $0.02!!!

ES

·
Super Moderator
7,574 Posts
Amsoil tech line told me to use Signature Series multi-vehicle ATF in the TR6060. It made 1st to 2nd much smoother. I believe it is listed first on their website for our cars as well. (y)

Reactions: z51vett and ESindon

·
Super Moderator
3,565 Posts
@15SuperSport ,,, the stock fill is such crapola,,, that friggin castor oil probably provides better coverage!!! Pretty much anything other than that stuff,, that makes the lil parts slippery er,,, Mobil, Redline, Amsoil,,, can do no harm,,, according to my bro, who has built at least,,, HUNDREDS of these Tremecs!!! EITHER Amsoil product is good with him,,, but he likes the result of the Torque Drive in Hi Po builds and thats good enuff with ME!!!

;)

·
Banned
32 Posts
@15SuperSport ,,, the stock fill is such crapola,,, that friggin castor oil probably provides better coverage!!! Pretty much anything other than that stuff,, that makes the lil parts slippery er,,, Mobil, Redline, Amsoil,,, can do no harm,,, according to my bro, who has built at least,,, HUNDREDS of these Tremecs!!! EITHER Amsoil product is good with him,,, but he likes the result of the Torque Drive in Hi Po builds and thats good enuff with ME!!!

;)
You really think the Amsoil will provide a noticeable difference from the Mobil fluid that Tremec officially recommends?

Is your friend Rodney from RPM Transmissions?
He's pretty much the #1 GM transmission guy in the country.

·
Super Moderator
7,574 Posts

;)
Works for me. I had my amsoil rep on the phone, he conferenced tech in on the call and he told me that was their first recommendation, so I went for it. So far so good.

·
Super Moderator
3,565 Posts
You really think the Amsoil will provide a noticeable difference from the Mobil fluid that Tremec officially recommends?

Q1,,,, YUP!!!

Q2,,,,Nope!!!

Brad,,, at Trans-Action in Sun Valley/Burbank California!!! Right down the street from Dick Guldstrand!!!!

Tremec is not exclusive to GM Bro!!!! They provide to EVERYBODY!!!

es

·
Super Moderator
7,574 Posts

I had Mobil in before the Amsoil. It was better than stock, Amsoil was an improvement over the Mobil in my experience.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts