Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across this YouTube video totally by accident while trying to look up some other Tremec manual transmission info. I am posting it simply because it was interesting to me. I do not have any opinion or experience to whether the info in the video is technically correct. Wow, I just re-read that last sentence, and I sound like a TV attorney now. Anyway, I thought this might be of interest to others too since it talks about the much mentioned 1-2 grind in the manuals.

1_2 Shift Grind with GT500 and the TR6060_Mystery Solved

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
That was very interesting to see that the synchronizer rings have carbon clutch material bonded to them. I wasn’t aware of that. Now it makes sense why different fluid types make such a big difference in shift quality. A normal metal on metal synchronizer doesn’t respond to simple fluid changes the way people have been experiencing.

It’s cool that Tremec has an updated synchronizer assembly that appears to solve the problem. I wonder if it has made its way into production units yet.

·
Super Moderator
5,799 Posts
My only comment is what is the life span of this part. 1200 bucks is a lot to correct Mfg defect if Mfg is making part car Mfg and part Mfg should eat some of the cost. I have hated this trans for so long old borgwarner s had this issue munchies never and a rock crusher M22 was the top dog for speed shifting.
z51vett
Doug
As a side note the termec is designed off the old borgwarner trans.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
I ran across this YouTube video totally by accident while trying to look up some other Tremec manual transmission info. I am posting it simply because it was interesting to me. I do not have any opinion or experience to whether the info in the video is technically correct. Wow, I just re-read that last sentence, and I sound like a TV attorney now. Anyway, I thought this might be of interest to others too since it talks about the much mentioned 1-2 grind in the manuals.

1_2 Shift Grind with GT500 and the TR6060_Mystery Solved
Thanks for sharing this video! First to second on my SS is not sterling by any means but I wouldn't say it 'grinds'. But I have had some instances sitting at a stop light where it will not go into second (yes, I know, just use first gear :smile). That said, since I plan on keeping this car for quite some time I would not have an issue laying out the cash to get the 1-2 shift smoothed out.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone actually changed it out?

I should have asked this in my original post. Does anyone have any direct experience actually changing this out on a Tremec manual in one of our cars? I am curious now.......not enough to actually have any interest in taking action to change on on my manual, but I am generally interested. I value the direct experience of the other forum members, and would like to hear. Kudos to the gentleman that made that video too.

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
Interesting. I have the issue with my GXP.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree shifting 2nd doesn’t feel right most of the time I do it. I brought it up with my dealer and they had the tech drive it...he said it shifts great and there is no issue. I’m not surprised simply because the issue isn’t easy to repeat. In fact I notice it more during shift that occur under more leisurely driving/lighter load. This might be because when one is shifting during more spirited driving more force is used to move the lever inherently (and you don’t notice that it doesn’t want to fully engage) or it might be that more force moving the lever is just what it takes??

There is fairly extensive thread with a lot of discussion related to fluid options - some claim that Amsoil’s higher end auto trans fluid (I don’t recall the name, Torque something) helps a lot. I haven’t tried it yet.

Sure would be nice if Chevy/Tremec would help us out with this.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That was very interesting to see that the synchronizer rings have carbon clutch material bonded to them. I wasn’t aware of that. Now it makes sense why different fluid types make such a big difference in shift quality. A normal metal on metal synchronizer doesn’t respond to simple fluid changes the way people have been experiencing.

It’s cool that Tremec has an updated synchronizer assembly that appears to solve the problem. I wonder if it has made its way into production units yet.
Good point - maybe the GM spec fluid doesn’t have the ideal modifiers for the carbon surfaces? I know the cost of the fluid is low ($4/quart) compared to the carbon modified loaded differential fluid our diffs require. I realize they are not the same mechanics just saying that the price may lead to some indication that the prescribed fluid may lack some chemistry that would help...sort of speaks to the post I was referring to about the Amsoil fluid.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree shifting 2nd doesn’t feel right most of the time I do it. I brought it up with my dealer and they had the tech drive it...he said it shifts great and there is no issue. I’m not surprised simply because the issue isn’t easy to repeat. In fact I notice it more during shift that occur under more leisurely driving/lighter load. This might be because when one is shifting during more spirited driving more force is used to move the lever inherently (and you don’t notice that it doesn’t want to fully engage) or it might be that more force moving the lever is just what it takes??

There is fairly extensive thread with a lot of discussion related to fluid options - some claim that Amsoil’s higher end auto trans fluid (I don’t recall the name, Torque something) helps a lot. I haven’t tried it yet.

I believe that the Amsoil fluiid that you were trying to fully reference is AMSOIL Torque-Drive. If I am totally wrong, I would like someone to quickly correct me because I just ordered this to change my fluid in a few weeks (if I ever get a free moment):serious . Below is a link to the AMSOIL Torque-Drive.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/automatic/torque-drive-synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid/

·
Registered
93 Posts

I believe that the Amsoil fluiid that you were trying to fully reference is AMSOIL Torque-Drive. If I am totally wrong, I would like someone to quickly correct me because I just ordered this to change my fluid in a few weeks (if I ever get a free moment)/forum/images/SSforums_vbtoucan/smilies/tango_face_plain.png . Below is a link to the AMSOIL Torque-Drive.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...drive-synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid/
That’s it.

·
Banned
142 Posts
My transmission has grinded on the 1-2 shift, unless I pause in neutral between gears, from the day it was delivered brand new.
My SS is my daily driver, and I baby her, so it's not really an issue for me.
But, I wish their was an official TSB and an official fix from the factory.

Never had this issue with any of my C5 and C6 Corvettes, or my 2016 Camaro SS......

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My transmission has grinded on the 1-2 shift, unless I pause in neutral between gears, from the day it was delivered brand new.
My SS is my daily driver, and I baby her, so it's not really an issue for me.
But, I wish their was an official TSB and an official fix from the factory.

Never had this issue with any of my C5 and C6 Corvettes, or my 2016 Camaro SS......

SSsedanM6 - Just curious. Based on what sounds like a chronic matter with the 1-2 shift grind on your SS, have you tried any remedies like questioning the dealer or changing to one of the non-GM synthetics people have mentioned (Amsoil or Redline). Just curious.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Good point - maybe the GM spec fluid doesn’t have the ideal modifiers for the carbon surfaces? I know the cost of the fluid is low ($4/quart) compared to the carbon modified loaded differential fluid our diffs require. I realize they are not the same mechanics just saying that the price may lead to some indication that the prescribed fluid may lack some chemistry that would help...sort of speaks to the post I was referring to about the Amsoil fluid.

It is certainly in the realm of possibility. Or perhaps the GM fluid is exactly in the range Tremec engineers specified. That’s what makes the fact that Tremec has made a change to the synchronizer interesting as well. If they thought the solution was fluid it would be a lot easier to just change the spec.

Also, people say Dexron VI is the same as the manual transmission fluid specified in the owner’s manual, p/n 88861800. It would be interesting to know if they have the same friction modifiers or not.

·
Registered
302 Posts
what mileage is everyone at? almost 58k here. no grinding just a little notch between 1-2. it also seems "worse" when i baby it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
what mileage is everyone at? almost 58k here. no grinding just a little notch between 1-2. it also seems "worse" when i baby it.
Same for me. Changed my trans fluid out for Mobile 1 fluid though a few hundred miles ago and no grinding anymore, but it still is a bit notchy between 1 and 2. 2016 with less than 10k on it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just baught this synchro kit from AMP performance while we were in Arizona for the races, my 2017 SS has had this problem from almost day 1 and have tried 4 different types of fluid in it with the best results with the GM synchro mesh friction modified fluid but still not wanting to go into 2nd gear until the fluid warms up after 8 or 10 miles, now I just need to find some time to install the 2nd gear synchro

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you find the thread titled, "M6 Owners Change Your Transmission Fluid", That has the specific Amsoil transmission fluid recommendation. It is not the product with the word "torque" in it, although I believe Doug said that it would work. It has "Multi Vehicle" and "AFE" in its title. I mentioned in that thread that I changed to that fluid and specified the several reasons why. Changing the fluid, in retrospect, may have helped some. May….

·
Banned
115 Posts
Just baught this synchro kit from AMP performance while we were in Arizona for the races, my 2017 SS has had this problem from almost day 1 and have tried 4 different types of fluid in it with the best results with the GM synchro mesh friction modified fluid but still not wanting to go into 2nd gear until the fluid warms up after 8 or 10 miles, now I just need to find some time to install the 2nd gear synchro
Why hasn't this been repaired and paid for by GM under your GM warranty?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
interesting , my T56 in my 06 gto has this same issue , and my SS only has 849 miles on it , and it has issues going into 2nd at times

1 - 20 of 76 Posts