Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We bought our 2014 SS new & hit the 100,000 mile mark the other day. Still runs & drives like new. It has been a great car so far and looking forward to the next 100,000 miles. The steering rack was replaced under warranty even though the original worked fine after I regreased the electrical connections. Front pads & spark plugs replaced at 72K, rear brakes are original. I get 50K miles out of the front tires & 40K miles out of the rear tires. All fluids changed when needed and completed by myself. I replaced the original battery at 90K with a larger 850CCA Autocraft H7-AGM. The battery tray has a 2nd mounting location to allow the install of the bigger battery.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I spy a Camaro floor mat.... nice average economy . I thought the 14s had the single outlet exhaust tips?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I spy a Camaro floor mat.... nice average economy . I thought the 14s had the single outlet exhaust tips?
I was curious if anybody would notice the Camaro floor mats, well done. Those mats were from our 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS that we traded in for our 2014 SS. I took a new Camaro ZL1 for a test drive last month so its very likely that we'll have a Camaro parked next to our SS in the near future. I've owned every gen Camaro except the current but my son has a 2016 2SS manual that runs 12.4s in the 1/4 100% stock including tire pressure.

Our 14 SS came with single exhaust tips but I switched to dual tips shortly after buying it. One of the best things about the 14 is the extra dual drink holder that pops out in the front middle of the back seat. That was only in the 2014s.

I don't have Brembo rear brakes but plan on upgrading to 6 piston Brembos in front & 4 piston Brembos in the rear probably this year.

I raced my son's 2016 2SS in the 1/8 mile & I beat him ( due to my 0.005 reaction time) then we kept going thru the 1/4 where he beat me. The 1/8 mile was a special event for our car club.

Father (2014 SS Sedan) vs Son (2016 Camaro SS)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Impressive fuel economy. But what's even more impressive is how you managed to get as many miles out of the tires as you do. If you don't mind me asking, what tires do you have on your SS?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Congrats on reaching 100K miles. I hope that avg. economy is from a recent spell of highway cruising haha. Also, must be running all-season tires to get that type of treadwear. I get about 30-35K out of my fronts and 15-20K out of my rears, no burnouts and properly aligned, always max perf. summer category tires though.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Impressive fuel economy. But what's even more impressive is how you managed to get as many miles out of the tires as you do. If you don't mind me asking, what tires do you have on your SS?
My original tires were down to 2/32 on all 4 after 13K miles. Since then I've been running Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 245s in front 285s in rear. These are a high performance all season tire. With the OEM tires my 60-0 stopping was 105ft, with the DWS tires my 60-0 improved to 103ft. The downside is when I'm pulling over 1.0g lateral the back tires start letting me know I'm close to their limit. I didn't have that with the OEM summer only tires.

I ran the DWS06 tires on my Mustang & Camaro and currently run them on my Challenger size 275/40/20 on all 4s. I've recorded 1.19g lateral in my Challenger. There is an awesome 2.5 mile track north of me called The Ridge. I took my silver 2013 Mustang GT & my 2014 SS there at the same time and the SS out ran my GT in every section of the track.
275_40_20 LR

The Ridge 2014 (2)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Good info , thanks for posting !

its amazing how many miles rack up when people are commuting.
I do about 3000-5000 miles a year and my coworkers are at 30K.

ppp

·
Registered
31 Posts
Way to go. Right behind you - at about 95K right now. My mileage has been steady at 18.6 for the past 3 years. But I don't get a lot of highway, short stint on the way to work each day, but the rest is mostly stop and go.
I don't get that sort of tire wear either. Trying the DWS06 now - will see how they hold up.
Had to replace the steering rack (not under warranty) as one of the boots failed and it got wet and corroded inside. Thanks to an EXCELLENT service advisor at a dealer closer to work than home, I was able to get Chevrolet to kick in some funds and bring it down to a manageable cost.
YUP - love the car. Needs a little TLC - it gets driven hard every day, but its still going strong and I find it hard to consider having something else in its place.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hit 100k last month. I bought mine used with 97k on it. I figure with this mileage, if it was going to fail it would have by now. I am a glass half full kind of guy.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hit 100k last month. I bought mine used with 97k on it. I figure with this mileage, if it was going to fail it would have by now. I am a glass half full kind of guy.
We bought our 2014 SS new & hit the 100,000 mile mark the other day. Still runs & drives like new. It has been a great car so far and looking forward to the next 100,000 miles. The steering rack was replaced under warranty even though the original worked fine after I regreased the electrical connections. Front pads & spark plugs replaced at 72K, rear brakes are original. I get 50K miles out of the front tires & 40K miles out of the rear tires. All fluids changed when needed and completed by myself. I replaced the original battery at 90K with a larger 850CCA Autocraft H7-AGM. The battery tray has a 2nd mounting location to allow the install of the bigger battery.

She looks great ! Does my heart great to see the SS can make the 100k club with obvious care.
(y)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow! Clean car for being in Oregon weather and 100k miles
Lets just say I have a "few hours" of detailing time to keep her clean. We lived in Seaside for 3 years and could see the whales from our dinning room which also means lots of sea air & bird droppings.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Congrats on 100K!! I’m only 43k on my 17 PBM Auto and enjoy every day driving it. I do move out of cars frequently and will probably be selling mine in a couple of months.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts