Pros and Cons of Leasing a Car - Chevy SS Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Pros and Cons of Leasing a Car

The route to car ownership is filled with many options and leasing can be one for those who do not want to commit to a long-term purchase.

Read more >>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:17 PM

Garage
"leasing can be one for those who do not want to commit '

That sums it up, for me. I like the cars that I chose and want to keep them.

I'll leave it at that.

Previous vehicles:
2015 Cadillac SRX Premium(current wifes car)
2003 Silverado(SOLD 12/2019)
1991 454SS(stolen)
2002 Infiniti Q45(traded in on SS)
1988 Mazda RX7-Anniversary Edition
1986 Mazda RX7 Sport(race car)
1983 Mazda GLC(race car)
1973 Mazda RX2(race car)
1981 Mazda GSL(bought new)
2007 Cadillac STS-V
1999 Cadille Seville STS
1995 Cadillac Eldorado
1990 Cadillac Eldorado
2002 TransAm Firehawk
1977 TransAm - Black and Gold Bandit Ed.
...that's far enough
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGuide.com View Post

The route to car ownership is filled with many options and leasing can be one for those who do not want to commit to a long-term purchase.

Read more >>

I believe (have not run precise analysis) that financially leasing is roughly similar to, maybe a bit more expensive than buying new at retail and trading in at wholesale prices (and financing).
Since I buy all my cars lightly used (from private party or dealer) and always sell them private party (never trade them in or sell them at wholesale) therefore leasing makes no financial sense to me.

Obligatory disclaimer: Unless expressly stated to the contrary therein, all my posts always represent only my own personal opinion(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Black, 6M, sunroof, custom wheels & spare, CAGS defeat, Holden badging, black trim

Last edited by Yoram; 07-23-2019 at 10:24 PM. Reason: accuracy

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:42 AM

Garage
the only people I know that lease are getting cars out of their price range. If they were to have bought them, the payments would have been too much, and the maintenance would be crippling to them.

2015 PBM Sun/Roof/Spare/Auto
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:42 PM

Pro is you don't own the car. The Con is you don't own the car.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I lease for my wife. She gets a new car every 3 years. Something different or something the same if she likes it. Did a lot of damage to the front of her 2016 Malibu hitting a giant raccoon at 70mph. Carfax took a crap, no longer GM certified, resale took a big hit. Affected me not. Turned in the keys at three years, full disclosure, no costs or questions, and got something else. The hit you take when leasing is when you quit leasing. No car for the payments made or a huge payout to own it. Until then, it's smaller payments, new cars every three years, and no tanked resale value (for you) when an accident happens. I'll take the hit when she retires and buy or buyout something, until then she'll get two or three more brand new cars and I'll get lower payments. I can certainly afford to buy whatever I lease for her, but I'll have bigger payments, bigger risks and older or used cars, or all of the above. Leasing isn't for everyone, but if it wasn't for someone it wouldn't exist.
You know what they say, happy wife, happy life. Happy husband? Well, nothing rhymes with husband. SS probably should though...
Taze, good2go, wilkin4 and 3 others like this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15SuperSport View Post
I lease for my wife. She gets a new car every 3 years. Something different or something the same if she likes it. Did a lot of damage to the front of her 2016 Malibu hitting a giant raccoon at 70mph. Carfax took a crap, no longer GM certified, resale took a big hit. Affected me not. Turned in the keys at three years, full disclosure, no costs or questions, and got something else. The hit you take when leasing is when you quit leasing. No car for the payments made or a huge payout to own it. Until then, it's smaller payments, new cars every three years, and no tanked resale value (for you) when an accident happens. I'll take the hit when she retires and buy or buyout something, until then she'll get two or three more brand new cars and I'll get lower payments. I can certainly afford to buy whatever I lease for her, but I'll have bigger payments, bigger risks and older or used cars, or all of the above. Leasing isn't for everyone, but if it wasn't for someone it wouldn't exist.
You know what they say, happy wife, happy life. Happy husband? Well, nothing rhymes with husband. SS probably should though...
“Smaller payments”, yes. But they NEVER STOP. If you Buy a car and keep it 5 years? Would that be cheaper?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:10 PM

Not if the wife becomes unhappy
15SuperSport, Taze and Brass like this.

2017 PBM MT Roof
Stock but for skip shift elimination
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeMiSS View Post
Roger that! Happiness can not be measured in dollars and cents alone.
15SuperSport, Taze and Brass like this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeMiSS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 36thEVACVet View Post
Roger that! Happiness can not be measured in dollars and cents alone.
When armed and dangerous, unhappy is a bad thing. Besides, when you're driving an "old" 2015 and she has a 2019, you look like the good guy.
Brass likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page