Cityscapes and Travel - Chevy SS Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Cityscapes and Travel

Everyone takes pics during vacation travel. Let's share ideas to help us all get pics that our friends want to see. (We've all had to sit through a tedious viewing of mediocre images while politely feining admiration.) How do you take it to the next step?
Travel can include landscapes, cities, strangers (street photography), family. Maybe we keep landscape pics in that thread?

My favorite travel photography tip? Spend more time seeing than shooting. Are you really going to sort through 1200 images when you get home, or look at a couple of hundred and then put your memory card in a drawer? Shoot less, see more.
If you take pictures of everything you may not remember anything and your image quality will suffer. Take some time to look around, only take pictures that you really gotta have, and make a moment to think about the image rather than pop off a snap shot.

8 Travel Photo Tips from Pros (This one's good.)
Philosophy of travel photography - Nat Geo (sort of long and esoteric, but hey, it's Nat Geo)

2nd favorite tip? There's a billion pictures of every famous landmark. What makes yours special? Shoot it from a different perspective.
Here's a couple of examples:
St. Basil's Cathedral is the iconic image of Russia. EVERY newscast about Russia shows this landmark, in case you weren't listening you still know the subject. This night shot may be less boring but nothing makes it stand out (I like it 'cuz it's mine.)
ISO-800; f/2.8; 1/20sec; 40mm; monopod (for shutter speed <1/60). Monopod is great for after-dark travel shots.

So how do you make your famous landmark shot different? Try an unusual angle. You've never seen St. Basil's like this, it's my fave image of the landmark:
ISO-200; f/7.1; 1/200s; 28mm

Sure, another Sydney Opera House pic. But you've not seen it up close, really close. This one get's your friends' attention, it's different. Plus, you didn't know til now that it's made of tiles.
ISO-2000; f/6.2; 1/60s; 18mm (35mm = 27mm) High ISO cuz it was after sunset, 1/60 is min handheld shutter speed, didn't want flash.

Hope these tips help. Post up some of your travel shots, tell us where and what you liked about the image.
scooter trash likes this.

it's socially unacceptable to be ahead of your time.
The White Lion: 2015 Heron White, sunroof, spare. two pedals, two paddles, #73 of 277 as configured, #827 of 3,168 built
No mods: 100% Houston Stock

Last edited by iratollah; 12-19-2018 at 01:32 AM. Reason: add camera settings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

I have a lot of questions for the seller:

Taze, Beatrice, wilkin4 and 1 others like this.

The White Lion: 2015 Heron White, sunroof, spare. two pedals, two paddles, #73 of 277 as configured, #827 of 3,168 built
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 10:06 PM

Sydney harbor

DAC SS, iratollah and ESindon like this.

14 SS #1489. 53 of 249 HW with sunroof and spare.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Sure, the best camera is the one you have with you. The better camera is anything that's not your cellphone.
Was at Johnson Space Center tonight after hours photographing the ISS flying over Rocket Park (zoom in 2D on map). Was excited that NASA unlocked the gates to let me in. (This wan't at all spontaneous, the guards sure aren't letting non-employees on campus after hours unless you have double-extra-special permission. If you don't ask, you don't get.)
Brought my small Fuji X-30 in case I wanted some quick pics and not have to eff with my always-on-manual Nikon. NFW would any cellphone camera gotten this shot. Considering the 1000' distance and that this was at night, rather pleased with this capture. Did have to find a rest (roof of car with pad under camera) to stabilize the camera in such low light, but didn't need tripod.

z51vett, wilkin4 and ESindon like this.

Last edited by iratollah; 04-13-2019 at 10:17 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Night photography can produce some spectacular images if you have the right equipment. Two ways to get a good picture in low light are a longer exposure or higher ISO. Challenges are that you really can't shoot handheld below 1/60s shutter speed and the higher the ISO the grainer your shot. Tripod is helpful, there's other techniques you can use for a successful shot.

I particularly enjoy satellite spotting. It requires some planning. Had an image in mind for a couple of years, after much planning and work, I found out after the fact that there was no way this image was going to look what like what I'd hoped. Regardless, AFAIK this is the only image showing both ISS and Mercury capsule.

Wanted to capture the International Space Station flying over the Mercury/Redstone rocket at Rocket Park inside Johnson Space Center. This image was caught on the 60th anniversary of announcing the original Mercury Seven 7 astronauts and also the date on which JSC was given Mission Control for manned spaceflight. Without a lot of post-processing work, here's all I could salvage. 58 years of NASA achievements in one (failed) image:

copacetic1, Beatrice and wilkin4 like this.

Last edited by iratollah; 04-13-2019 at 10:33 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:54 AM

Cityscapes and Travel

Wow, the ISS is much longer than I thought...;-)

(Nice pic!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iratollah likes this.

"Don't get stuck on stupid."

Career politicians suck; that doesnít mean the rest of us have to as well.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iratollah View Post
Night photography can produce some spectacular images if you have the right equipment. Two ways to get a good picture in low light are a longer exposure or higher ISO. Challenges are that you really can't shoot handheld below 1/60s shutter speed and the higher the ISO the grainer your shot. Tripod is helpful, there's other techniques you can use for a successful shot.

I particularly enjoy satellite spotting. It requires some planning. Had an image in mind for a couple of years, after much planning and work, I found out after the fact that there was no way this image was going to look what like what I'd hoped. Regardless, AFAIK this is the only image showing both ISS and Mercury capsule.

Wanted to capture the International Space Station flying over the Mercury/Redstone rocket at Rocket Park inside Johnson Space Center. This image was caught on the 60th anniversary of announcing the original Mercury Seven 7 astronauts and also the date on which JSC was given Mission Control for manned spaceflight. Without a lot of post-processing work, here's all I could salvage. 58 years of NASA achievements in one (failed) image:

Ira, as a former JSC guy I like this and your dedication to make that work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iratollah likes this.

Build #2595
5 of 11 Mystic Green with spare and no roof

2003 Audi A6 2.7t 6MT (for sale)
1983 Porsche 944 track car
1969 Corvette L71
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:01 AM

Garage
Very cool stuff brother!
iratollah likes this.

2017 PBM, Auto Trans, Sunroof & Spare, All Stock
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:02 PM

Garage
The first one is Monticello this past spring. It was much windier than I was expecting (I forgot to consider it was the top of the ridge). Not much was in bloom but I liked the walking path and the view back to the house, especially since it looks back at the study.

The second two are from 2016, one of the stops was Normandy. My Grandpa was in the 29th, a tank driver.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2015 SLIRHM, Auto, Sunroof, No Spare
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:26 PM

Garage
From a trip out west. Guess where
iratollah likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Chevy SS
Born: 09/23/2013
Build No. 1174
40 of 249 Heron White
Sunroof and Spare Tire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page