Chevy SS Forum banner

Would like to check out local SS

5K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  noble91 
#1 ·
I am going to be in the market for a new vehicle in the coming months. I have a pretty good obsession going with getting a manual SS. The problem is, as you all are most likely familiar with, they are few and far between it seems especially in the northeast. As a result I am coming to grips with potentially buying one long distance.

None of that is too much of a big deal but the reason for the post is that I've never personally checked one out and I'd like to at least see one up close and get a feel for what I'm potentially getting into because right now it's just my imagination going on and on about how great a car it will be. I've been doing a ton a research on things to look out for. I've watched and read tons of reviews on them I just haven't checked one out up close.

I realize this time of year isn't the best driving weather but if there is anyone around me (Fairfield County CT) that wouldn't mind showing the car off one day I'd appreciate it. Better yet, if someone is looking to sell one that is local I would be very interested as well.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

#6 · (Edited)
Connecticut is not a huge state, but a locale of where you are, what places you might be found, could help some of us know how proximate you might be.

I'll be driving my '16 with manual which just passed 20K miles, across the state on I 84 on my way to the Newburgh Bridge sometime late morning or very early afternoon on Friday this week on my way to PA. Return trip will get me back into CT on Sunday afternoon.

#10 ·
Thanks for all of the offers from everyone. I mentioned in the first post I was in Fairfield County but I realize that not everyone is familiar with the state. It's the southwest corner. Basically anywhere in CT and Westchester and Putnam counties of NY are the easiest for me to make work without making it a full day trip.

@Gangreen16SS; I84 is in my backyard if you are up for a break around Exit 11 I would be able to do that but don't want to inconvenience you too much.

#9 · (Edited)
Ssb 17 going up for sale at dennoyer chevy in alb ny not sure if manual
Slirh 15 at terryville ct currently auto tho

Nov 2016 i drove just north of boston from just south of alb ny to test drive a black auto 16, after dealer tried his best to sell me it i drove back to my local chevy dealer and ordered a 17 manual. Just the first time driving one easily convinced me i needed one but in manual. About 2 years from then got my17 auto to add to my manual, both have their own plus and minus but EITHER are great

#18 ·
@Trickniner, it takes a couple hours for the system to update after the 5th post. Log off and then log back in and PM should work.

#20 ·
As a suggestion, go test drive a 2015 manual camaro SS. I traded my 2015 manual SS camaro for a new 2017 SS manual SEDAN. I have driven both cars for about one year and drive trains are similar/identical. The hill assist on the 2017 SS is more consistent to engage. The 2015 camaro SS was inconsistent to engage. Dash info and steering wheel are identical. Both had HUD. My 2015 SS Camaro was a commemorative edition with the flat bottom steering wheel just like the SS Sedan.

However, the visbility of the SS sedan is very good. With the camaro, the high belt line reduces/eliminates the ability to judge your four corners. Mine had backup camera so no issue there.

No complaints with either car but I wanted the Sedan with MT and found the Camaro with 700 miles on it in a rare edition with MT and picked it up as a transition until I could get the SS Sedan. Prior car was a 2008 Impala SS and wanted to get out of the front wheel drive platform.

If you get an SS Sedan with the Magnetic Shocks, they are over the top. I go over speed bumps at 10 to 15 mph and you don't even know it. Unbelievable chassis and the exhaust is great on the SS Sedan. My Camaro had the upgraded exhauast so it sounded the same, but did not have the switch to quiet it down like the SS.

Hope this helps. Always best to get wheel time.

#22 ·
Thanks for the offers everyone. I met up with @Gangreen16SS! who was nice enough to take a few minutes out of his trip to make a pit stop by me. I really appreciated the time he took. His SS was very cool and he was nice enough to let me drive it which has pretty much cemented my choice to go after one.

I saw that already... I am still probably a couple of weeks out from being ready to actually buy one so I'm sure it will be long gone. I've seen a few pop up more locally to me but they always seem to be sold with a week or two.

#24 ·
I see white one is not on cars website but still on denooyer, im going to take a ride up today and look, carfax is clean and simple, photos look good except for the rims.

#27 ·
Walked the lot today and didnt see it so dont know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.