Looking hard - Chevy SS Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Looking hard

Hi all,

I'm a current 2009 G8 GT owner living just outside of Baltimore Maryland.

Though I love the car, my G8 is just too lean on modern amenities. The miles are taking their toll it ain't holding up too good either. My wife got a 2016 Honda Civic when they came out. Every time I drive it, I find myself messing with all the cool features it has and thinking, "****, I wish my car did that".

So, I'm jonesing for something new and high-tech but with that same bad-ass muscle under the hood. The SS seems like the best option, but GM has kinda let me down so I'm not quite sold yet. My biggest fear is that if I go with anything putting out less than 350 hp, I'm going to hate it. My "G" turned me into a throttle junkie and I know finding anything comparable will be tough.

I'm not a mechanic or a modder but I like to tinker and I do a lot of DIY work on my cars when I can. So, hopefully I can contribute from time to time.

Looking forward to reading about your cars and getting good intel to feed my gearbox. I'm really interested to know the differences between the model years. Please tell me everything. The good, the bad, the ugly and the awesome.

Thank you very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome @RuLEoF2!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Martin
2014 SS, Heron White, A6, no mods, #3334 of MY2014
and 41 of 41 as built of the 534 HW. Born on Feb 6, 2014.
2016 Silverado 1500 LTZ CC Summit White.
Chevy SS Production & Sales Info for All Years can be found here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Direct link to spreadsheet here:

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:24 AM

Looking hard

Welcome, in short the SS is a (more) modern version of the GXP. Much nicer interior, etc. Lots of electronic goodies, some more useful than others. You may want to know that the MyLink head unit is a 2013 era design and cannot support Apple CarPlay, Android Auto. No proven options for aftermarket support either, if that capability is important to you. I highlight this because of what you said you like about the Honda.

I came from the G8GT to a manual ‘16 SS, primarily for the transmission choice. It is a great car, a “better” driver than the G8, though I would love to still have that car as it had its own “presence” that I don’t think the SS quite has.

Anyway, search is your friend, there are a lot of threads that start out just like yours that will help answer your questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Don't get stuck on stupid."

Career politicians suck; that doesn’t mean the rest of us have to as well.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuLEoF2 View Post
Hi all,

I'm a current 2009 G8 GT owner living just outside of Baltimore Maryland.

Though I love the car, my G8 is just too lean on modern amenities. The miles are taking their toll it ain't holding up too good either. My wife got a 2016 Honda Civic when they came out. Every time I drive it, I find myself messing with all the cool features it has and thinking, "****, I wish my car did that".

So, I'm jonesing for something new and high-tech but with that same bad-ass muscle under the hood. The SS seems like the best option, but GM has kinda let me down so I'm not quite sold yet. My biggest fear is that if I go with anything putting out less than 350 hp, I'm going to hate it. My "G" turned me into a throttle junkie and I know finding anything comparable will be tough.

I'm not a mechanic or a modder but I like to tinker and I do a lot of DIY work on my cars when I can. So, hopefully I can contribute from time to time.

Looking forward to reading about your cars and getting good intel to feed my gearbox. I'm really interested to know the differences between the model years. Please tell me everything. The good, the bad, the ugly and the awesome.

Thank you very much.

Go to CARMAX and test drive the SS and any of the Cadillac V cars .. you should get satisfaction somewhere in those ….

several members here own both ...

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:03 PM

Garage
Welcome!

From your description, it sounds like you would really love a Kia Stinger! As our SS's are not tech laden like your wife Honda, but the Kia is. I talked to a Kia owner once and that's what he said that he liked most about it, that it was fast and high tech.

Previous vehicles:
2015 Cadillac SRX Premium(current wifes car)
2003 Silverado(SOLD 12/2019)
1991 454SS(stolen)
2002 Infiniti Q45(traded in on SS)
1988 Mazda RX7-Anniversary Edition
1986 Mazda RX7 Sport(race car)
1983 Mazda GLC(race car)
1973 Mazda RX2(race car)
1981 Mazda GSL(bought new)
2007 Cadillac STS-V
1999 Cadille Seville STS
1995 Cadillac Eldorado
1990 Cadillac Eldorado
2002 TransAm Firehawk
1977 TransAm - Black and Gold Bandit Ed.
...that's far enough
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinetree View Post
Welcome @RuLEoF2!
Thanks Pinetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCA-SS View Post
Go to CARMAX and test drive the SS and any of the Cadillac V cars .. you should get satisfaction somewhere in those ….

several members here own both ...
Yeah. I was thinking about doing that but I don't want to fall in love on a one night stand. I want to get to know her first. Otherwise, I'm afraid that I'll marry her and only on the honeymoon do I find out that she snores and laughs like a hyena. lol
Taze likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy92 View Post
Welcome!

From your description, it sounds like you would really love a Kia Stinger! As our SS's are not tech laden like your wife Honda, but the Kia is. I talked to a Kia owner once and that's what he said that he liked most about it, that it was fast and high tech.
I can imagine something has to make up for their resale hits.

There were 5 pages of Stingers for sale just for the GT2, wonder why?!

Typical Kia resale will hit them hard - buy one when that happens if you want one.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Welcome!

Stinger... huh. Well, I guess I'm not looking for that high tech. Just a lot more that my G is packing. By "high tech" I mean touch screen display, quality sound system, Bluetooth, back-up camera, etc.
It's those little things that I crave. Oh... and that 70 extra horses sounds really nice too.

My G has none of that and it's not holding up well. I bought it used and though it had low mileage, I think that the previous owner must of ragged it a lot. I've only had it five years and I've spent half of that time and a lot of money battling one issue after another just trying to keep it functional.

I'm tired of spending money on repairs that I saved for upgrades. Time for something new and improved.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:48 PM

Garage
I hear ya', as I'm quite satisfied with mine. My wifes car is a little more technical when I want go tech, but it's still just a novelty, I'd rather have a real performance car under me, which is why I love my SS.
wilkin4 likes this.

Previous vehicles:
2015 Cadillac SRX Premium(current wifes car)
2003 Silverado(SOLD 12/2019)
1991 454SS(stolen)
2002 Infiniti Q45(traded in on SS)
1988 Mazda RX7-Anniversary Edition
1986 Mazda RX7 Sport(race car)
1983 Mazda GLC(race car)
1973 Mazda RX2(race car)
1981 Mazda GSL(bought new)
2007 Cadillac STS-V
1999 Cadille Seville STS
1995 Cadillac Eldorado
1990 Cadillac Eldorado
2002 TransAm Firehawk
1977 TransAm - Black and Gold Bandit Ed.
...that's far enough
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 05:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuLEoF2 View Post

Yeah. I was thinking about doing that but I don't want to fall in love on a one night stand. I want to get to know her first. Otherwise, I'm afraid that I'll marry her and only on the honeymoon do I find out that she snores and laughs like a hyena. lol
Quote:
I hear ya', as I'm quite satisfied with mine. My wifes car is a little more technical when I want go tech, but it's still just a novelty, I'd rather have a real performance car under me, which is why I love my SS.
oh common ..you can have 7 nights of sinful fun getting acquainted and then walk away before the shotgun comes out .. do it .. I would ...
at any case, no one is perfect .. same here .. its ignoring the little things that will keep you together …

see? Willy did not say FULLY satisfied or she wants to be on top …

Taze and RuLEoF2 like this.

Last edited by SoCA-SS; 07-18-2019 at 05:16 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page