Prospective SS Owner - New to Forum - Chevy SS Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Prospective SS Owner - New to Forum

I am a long time reader and first time poster who is considering getting a Chevy SS. My goal is to purchase one in the next few months possibly waiting until early 2020. I have a few concerns and want some feedback on using the SS as a daily driver to replace my current car (2009 LS Impala). I'll be posting that thread in a more appropriate section of the forum (Chevy SS General Discussion Forum).

Just wanted to say hello from Baltimore!

Tux
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:37 AM

Garage
Hello and welcome to the Forum. Let me put it this way. You can't beat the SS as a daily driver. One of the best parts of my days is when that engine roars to life. I love every minute behind the wheel. Search around the Forum for answers to any of your questions or just ask. If you come across a deal to buy a SS, if it's all legit, don't wait, just buy it. You won't regret it.
RedhotFLSS likes this.

2017 PBM, Auto Trans, Sunroof & Spare, All Stock
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Chevy SS - Daily Driver?

Background:
I have always been a Chevy/GM fan. My current car is an LS Impala (09). I have been lusting over the idea of owning a RWD American sedan from GM since the 2008 Pontiac G8 GT. I am finally in a position where I can justify buying a new car and capable of doing so. That said, I have some concerns about using the Chevy SS as a daily driver. Especially after reading threads like the "Mag Ride Reliability Poll". Please see below...

Concerns:
While I was reading the aforementioned thread I read statements like:
  • "EPS, HVAC, Mag ride .. these 3 are not irritations, they are major cost/operational issues .. its almost like its being designed to fit the warranty limits ..."
  • "we got 100F weekend coming up and still waiting (17 days) for AC parts ..."
  • "My SS has seen well over 100 non-operational days with 2 of the 3 issues .. luckily I have no mag-ride to worry about Ö
  • so glad is not my only car ..."
  • "Replaced both rear shocks on my 2015 at 18K miles."

Most of those posts were from the same user and perhaps they just drew the short straw, but even more concerning than the costs associated with replacing/repairing those items is the ability to find the parts...

My general question is "would you recommend the Chevy SS as a daily driver? Why or why not?"

Other questions:
  • Is it really an issue getting certain parts? Which parts are more hard to come by? Would you recommend buying those parts now anticipating a future repair i.e. mag ride?
  • Is it difficult to repair more so than current production model Chevy's?
  • Are there issues to consider outside of those I mentioned in this thread?

More so that trying to convince myself to purchase a Chevy SS versus buy a model from the competition, I am simply trying to adjust my expectations for being a Chevy SS owner who plans to use the car as a daily driver. Owning a second car to deal with Chevy SS issues is simply not an option for me and I would consider the competition if that's is necessary. That said I'm not sold on any of the competition like I am this gem from GM.
Here is the competition as I see it with a brief reason I perfer the SS or otherwise don't like the competition:
  • Lexus GS F - more expensive both to purchase and maintain.
  • Kia Stinger - I can't get past the Kia badge.
  • Dodge Charger Scat Pack - reliability concerns...
  • Cadillac CTS-V - more expensive both to purchase and maintain.
Thoughts on my list of competitors are also welcome

Lastly, I realize im asking this on a chevy ss forum where people may struggle to be objective... That said I appreciate any and all feedback!

Tux

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:01 AM

i'm in the same camp as smirnoff... you won't regret the decision one bit. it is a fabulous daily.
even better road tripper.

welcome aboard !
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:05 AM

I came from a 09 Impala SS & totally agree with the 2 poster's ahead of me.

15 SIM Auto Roof No Spare, it does now
Livernois Tune, Rotofab
Kooks Headers & Mid Pipe
19 XT4 The Wife's
15 BMW R1200GSA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:13 AM

Hard to beat as a daily except you should plan on about 18-19mpg, maybe a couple more if it's almost all highway, a couple less if you find yourself liking the loud pedal.

2016 Chevy SS HW - can, Rotofab, 1-7/8 ARH headers +cats and LMS tune
2001 Trans Am NHRA Edition - TSP built Darton sleeved 454 and a lot of other stuff
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Chevy SS - Daily Driver?

I'm not sure why my original post didn't show up but I have a few questions/concerns about using a Chevy SS as a daily driver. I don't want to buy an extra car in anticipation of having issues with the Chevy SS but after reading the thread related to the Mag Ride Poll (as well as other posts) I have concerns. My general question is, would you recommend the Chevy SS as a daily driver? I have been lusting over a RWD American sedan since the 2008 Pontiac G8. That said, I read about issues with EPS, HVAC, and Mag Ride and I am concerned. Below are my general questions although I welcome any and all feedback regarding using a Chevy SS as a daily driver.
  • Is the car generally reliable?
  • How much of a concern are the aforementioned issues? (EPS, HVAC, Mag Ride, other?)
  • Is it really that hard to get parts i.e. Mag Ride? Other than mag ride are parts hard to come by?
  • Would you recommend buying an extra set of mag ride parts in anticipation of replacing them at or around 50k miles?

After reading about a sudo-fix for the EPS issue from another user, multiple posts about the mag ride issues (especially early on with <20k miles), HVAC issues, etc. I have concerns about using this car as a daily driver. Even more concerning than the cost to repair is the availability of parts... That said, none of the competition is as attractive to me and buying another boring car to have less issues is something I don't want to do. Below is the competition as I see it along with a reason I'd perfer the Chevy SS. Thoughts on that list are also welcome
Lexus GS F - more expensive to purchase and maintain
Kia Stinger - I cant get past the Kia badge
Dodge Charger Scat Pack - reliability concerns
Cadillac CTS-V - more expensive to purchase and maintain

I realize I am asking this to a group of people who may struggle to be objective as Chevy SS owners. More so than trying to talk myself into or out of this purchas, I am seeking to adjust my expectations of what owning (read repairing and maintaining) a Chevy SS is like.

Thanks in advance for any and all information.

Tux
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:26 AM

Welcome. Itís been my daily driver for 3 years and I plan to use it as such for as long as I can. I love driving it. If your commute is all city or bumper to bumper traffic lights plan for 11-13 mpg. Thatís my range.
kyngofpop likes this.

2016 PBM, 3 pedals, hole in roof, pristine rim in trunk
1965 289 A-code, convertible, toploader - in pieces
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:35 AM

My wife has a 17 as a daily driver. We had the whole clip done in paint film and some extras to keep it looking good through the bad weather months. Plus, it's Michigan...road debris.

Winter it is just fine. A set of snows on another set of wheels make it a breeze. She never had a RWD car before and was a bit concerned, but she has never had an issue.

The SS is a tank and very well balanced for daily duties.

Yeah, the MPG could be better, but lets be honest we don't drive these for the MPG...it is a nice sedan with tons of room and plenty of power.

Most of the HVAC and EPS issues have probably been sorted - there was a service action on the EPS for any cars impacted by it. My 16 has never had that issue and my wife's has not either.

The MagRide/MR seems to be hit or miss - I know of high mile cars with no issue and lower mile cars that have had a leak. How are the roads in your area? To me that plays a part in answering a lot of maintenance / suspension questions.

MR isn't that expensive to DIY. Yeah, they cost more than your average shock assembly but its the price you pay to play.

If you don't want MR and are fine with the auto - look at a 14. I personally enjoy the auto as much as the M6, while I really like the M6 and the exhaust tones with the bimodal exhaust [which came on the 16/7 SS models...otherwise i'd swap in a Corsa], the auto is just fine in itself and shouldn't be overlooked.

I'd like to get a V3 personally. It is more, but I don't see maintenance being that much more expensive than an SS really if you are the DIY type.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by imptux1 View Post
I realize I am asking this to a group of people who may struggle to be objective as Chevy SS owners.
Got that right...

Fortunately, as a '14 owner, I don't worry about mag ride. EPS has been addressed in a recall, and no HVAC issues thus far. I had a motor failure due to a failed cat on one side that blew apart and plugged the second one. A second cat killed me. Things like that are on all cars nowaways, so it would have potentially happened on any other car where a cat fails.

I don't feel anxious driving mine, but that's because I believe this car is RELATIVELY simple to work on. It's all relative...
kyngofpop likes this.

1957 Chevy 210 Belair Wagon LS3/4L80e
2005 Pontiac GTO LS2/4L65e
2014 Chevy SS 6L80e

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page