Michelin Uptis, the airless tire - Page 2 - Chevy SS Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2go View Post
Looking at the side profile with its countless receptacles for mud/crud/pebbles/etc. , I'm thinking it could be a nightmare to keep the wheel balanced properly ( unless you only drive clean roads). :-/

Snow would be the primary "added" weight concern, in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB750 View Post
... one may think that open sidewall is for "demonstration purposes" ...

I don't think they are that stupid.

Most articles I've read have specified no sidewalls. I'm hoping that just means you're right in that there are no structural sidewalls, but the innards are still covered.

Looking at the basic design, the wheel's barrel will have to contact with the tire continuously, wouldn't it? I don't see the load-distribution working without a wheel in the center to press against. Curious to see if these are universal to wheels or wheel specific, meaning no aftermarket wheels.

I'm not sure what problem this tire is solving. No increase in tread life, no decrease in weight, no benefits that I can see aside from being a better solution for cars that no longer have spares. Obviously, if you're too stupid or ignorant to maintain air in your tires, these might be a better option for you, but beyond that, I don't get it.

2016 HW 5 wheels, 4 doors, 3 pedals #2060, #43 of 50
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:11 PM

These are just what you need for a get-away car. Presumably a cops spike strip won't work.
ESindon likes this.

2015 | Silver Ice | Auto | No Roof | No Factory Spare

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrye View Post
...I'm not sure what problem this tire is solving. No increase in tread life, no decrease in weight, no benefits that I can see aside from being a better solution for cars that no longer have spares. Obviously, if you're too stupid or ignorant to maintain air in your tires, these might be a better option for you, but beyond that, I don't get it.
The almighty Google says there are 220 million flat tires in the US every year. Even if people have spares (an estimated third of new cars do not) and are competent enough to safely change it on the side of the road (a fraction of the public), I think the benefit is pretty obvious. Instead of stranding someone on the side of the road in the rain (or, in the case of a runflat tire, buying you X miles before you have to stop), this remains completely unaffected by a normal puncture--the driver may not even notice. No jacking the car up on a gravel shoulder as 18 wheelers go by at 70+ mph, no replacing a half-used tire (or all of them) because of a single poorly placed screw, no lost time in transit, less road debris for the rest of us...

It's probably not a benefit I personally am interested in--but I get it.

-TH24
CB750 and pottypants like this.

2016 Heron White A6 Sunroof + Spare
#2116 of 2221
#186 of 188
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:27 PM

These tires will also fail if they hit hard road debris or big pot holes. It won't solve the problem but should reduce it.

I think the manufactures like them because they are maintenance free.

2015 | Silver Ice | Auto | No Roof | No Factory Spare
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:35 PM

lower cost for manufacturing materials as well.
potentially can make them at the tire shops.....
Sheffield Steve likes this.

Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS > Grand Am GT > Nissan Maxima > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude > Infiniti G35 > BMW E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec > Chevy SS > LC 500, Hyundai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX > Hyundai Tucson sport
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel24 View Post
The almighty Google says there are 220 million flat tires in the US every year. Even if people have spares (an estimated third of new cars do not) and are competent enough to safely change it on the side of the road (a fraction of the public), I think the benefit is pretty obvious. Instead of stranding someone on the side of the road in the rain (or, in the case of a runflat tire, buying you X miles before you have to stop), this remains completely unaffected by a normal puncture--the driver may not even notice. No jacking the car up on a gravel shoulder as 18 wheelers go by at 70+ mph, no replacing a half-used tire (or all of them) because of a single poorly placed screw, no lost time in transit, less road debris for the rest of us...

It's probably not a benefit I personally am interested in--but I get it.

-TH24

I'd love to know the percentage of tire failures that are caused by maintenance issues or neglect. I'm guessing it's a majority.
Sheffield Steve and tarheel24 like this.

2016 HW 5 wheels, 4 doors, 3 pedals #2060, #43 of 50

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page