232 day supply, 9000 Corvettes? - Page 6 - Chevy SS Forum
 78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimster480 View Post
I don't disagree. But like I said you have to be single or retired.
I have kids and would have nowhere to put them.
I rarely go out alone and putting kids seats in and out of a corvette passenger seat each and every time I go somewhere would be prohibitive.
Atleast in my G35 it does have back seats that fit car seats. So I can take my kids and wife in it if I have to (even though I don't now since I have the SS).
This is why specifically 2 seater sports cars aren't practical.
A corvette doesn't even have a proper trunk to fit groceries.
So for example if I went to the supermarket even alone... I couldn't buy enough food for my family using a corvette.

Therefore I'd really never be able to drive the vette if I did buy one. Even if I do really like the look and performance of a c7.
I can sympathize with the kid situation. I found a work around because I live close to work:

I take the kid to school in the morning, then come home at lunch, eat lunch/switch from SS to the 240z, go back to work and finish the day, wife picks up the kids like usual, I take the long route home.

I'm still kinda looking for a classic coupe with a back seat for the future. But my workaround seems to do the trick for now.

This all requires living close to work.
jimster480 likes this.

2016 Chevy SS 6MT HW
1971 240z 5MT
2015 BMW i3 (wife's Car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 06:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchfoot View Post
I can sympathize with the kid situation. I found a work around because I live close to work:

I take the kid to school in the morning, then come home at lunch, eat lunch/switch from SS to the 240z, go back to work and finish the day, wife picks up the kids like usual, I take the long route home.

I'm still kinda looking for a classic coupe with a back seat for the future. But my workaround seems to do the trick for now.

This all requires living close to work.

I work from home and my kids are under 3 years old. My wife is a nurse and she drives the G35 most days now and enjoys it (after originally complaining to me that I bought a "useless sports coupe") and I have the SS which I drive most of the time.
Most of the time I go somewhere its either to go shopping for food (half of the time with my family) or somewhere with my family.
I have a QX80 as our "road trip" vehicle and times that we need more than the 4/5 passengers that the SS will hold.

When my son gets to be of school age.... well the school is across the street so I won't get to drive him there LOL

All in all I'm glad to have the SS as its one **** of a fun family vehicle. Before I had it I mostly drove the QX since the G35 really was impractical for stuffing everyone in especially for short trips.
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:37 PM

Garage
We're just going to have to agree to disagree here.

I can appreciate that you didn't find a two seat two door sports car to be something that fit for your situation, but saying "corvettes aren't practical" in a discussion about the car is like saying "there are no health benefits to smoking cigars"... you're missing the entire point of the car. You own these cars for the performance, the fact that they can manage to add in as much practicality as they do (like I said, I can't think of another 2-seater that does more) is just a bonus.

Quote:
But like I said you have to be single or retired.
I'm neither single nor am I remotely close to retired, we have a 7 month old son and a greyhound. If all 3 of us (or 4 of us) are going somewhere we take one of the other cars. I still drive mine all the time because I make an effort to do so.

Quote:
So for example if I went to the supermarket even alone... I couldn't buy enough food for my family using a corvette.
Sure you could. The Corvette has one of the largest amounts of cargo space available for the class (nearly triple that of your G35 coupe believe it or not; 7.8 cubic feet vs 22.4 cubic feet in the C6, the C7 merely doubles it at 15 cubic feet). The hatch area in these things is huge! I pick up groceries all of the time in mine (usually after making a 5 minute trip a 30 minute trip but I digress), heck I could take the kid and the stroller and still easily fit all the groceries if I wanted to. Random tip: don't put anything frozen in the bin areas of the C5 Z06, it will melt everything by the time you get home as that center one sits right above the exhaust.
SilverSport and Drone like this.

Go Blue!

2017 Slipstream Blue SS, auto/roof/spare
2008 Jetstream Blue Z06

post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 12:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueSS View Post
We're just going to have to agree to disagree here.

I can appreciate that you didn't find a two seat two door sports car to be something that fit for your situation, but saying "corvettes aren't practical" in a discussion about the car is like saying "there are no health benefits to smoking cigars"... you're missing the entire point of the car. You own these cars for the performance, the fact that they can manage to add in as much practicality as they do (like I said, I can't think of another 2-seater that does more) is just a bonus.

I'm neither single nor am I remotely close to retired, we have a 7 month old son and a greyhound. If all 3 of us (or 4 of us) are going somewhere we take one of the other cars. I still drive mine all the time because I make an effort to do so.

Sure you could. The Corvette has one of the largest amounts of cargo space available for the class (nearly triple that of your G35 coupe believe it or not; 7.8 cubic feet vs 22.4 cubic feet in the C6, the C7 merely doubles it at 15 cubic feet). The hatch area in these things is huge! I pick up groceries all of the time in mine (usually after making a 5 minute trip a 30 minute trip but I digress), heck I could take the kid and the stroller and still easily fit all the groceries if I wanted to. Random tip: don't put anything frozen in the bin areas of the C5 Z06, it will melt everything by the time you get home as that center one sits right above the exhaust.
15 cubic feet? What In the sam hill? I just compared a c7 to my G35 basically side by side a couple weeks ago and the g35 trunk is bigger than the entire hatch of the c7 (and the hatch allows items to slide into your lap as you drive).
I fill my SS trunk halfway with groceries (fully filled with a stroller).

Sent from my HTC 10 on Sprint using Tapatalk
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:43 AM

I wonder what will happen to resale values on the C7 now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare. #21 of 3527, 1 of 144 in MG, #2 of 60 as optioned (sold).

2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare. #555 of 2221, 1 of 76 in Mystic Green, #9 of 18 as optioned, One of 12,924 total built

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP, MSM, 6M. #715 of 1829

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP, MSM, 6A. #807 of 1829

post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 11:45 AM

Garage
Went to a dealer in New Hampshire last week to buy a truck and the sales guy mentioned there the second largest corvette dealer in the country, my wife and son went to the second floor to look and said they had a ton
Looked online and inventory was 290 new and 10 used in stock vetts
Macmulkin
Learn something new every day
jimster480 likes this.

2017 RH2 manual no spare no sunroof 2635 of 4008 number 4 of 5
2017 SSB auto spare no sunroof 3347 of 4008 number 16 of 18
2019 Silverado HC 6.2 NHT
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueSS View Post

Except for the Convertibles then as their cargo capacity compared with the coupes version is roughly halved. The 97-04 C-5 is 13.5 Cu Ft. The C6 05-13 which I owned was a little less due to the fact the C-5's had a drop off where the rear part dropped down below the body instead of riding above it like the C6 at 11 Cu Ft and the C7 has 10 cu ft.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page