IATs are crazy high. HELP! - Page 5 - Chevy SS Forum
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 75 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatmanfischer View Post
I had the same issue and it was the IAT Cal numbers in the tune. After I changed the numbers to what are listed for the gm IAT sensor all temps on mine dropped by 34 degrees and now if you check IAT temp with a cold engine not running they match coolant temp.
Oh really? Well thats bothersome because I went back to my tuner and they ended up telling me my iat was actually set right all along. IAT temp still read higher for me though. Oh well i guess.

However, after cruising on the highway for about an hour in 58° weather, my iat dropped to 89°. I havnt seen a temp that low yet so maybe something was adjusted inadvertently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Consistent 150° IATs while cruising around today. Outside temprature 77°.... this sucks.

I still have no idea how to properly bleed my system. With my setup everything is completely sealed. Not even sure how the shop did it. Was not able to find anything useful on youtube.

Went to the track about a week ago, and while sitting in line to get into the track, IATs hit 160°. Then once I shut it off and heat soak set in, it spiked to 173° right before I started it up again. They came down to the 150s once it was running for a minute.

Even while driving on the highway, I will never see anything cooler than 30° above ambient.
post #43 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 12:59 PM

IATs are a constant battle...
High while sitting are completely normal but they should come down pretty quickly when you start moving.
When you let the car sit overnight and then key the ignition on without the engine running, does your iat temp match the coolant and oil?
I see you did this test before, it is a great and easy way to verify one spectrum of the range.
If those don't match, something is wrong with either the sensor calibration or the sensor itself. We can't move forward until we have accurate sensor readings.

post #44 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 01:23 PM

I shut my car down at 4:30am, it's 12:20pm, so call it 8 hours.
When I shut the car down it was after putting about 200 miles on it with several pulls at a high power level, it was at full temp is my point.
As you can see all the temps match.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190602_121631.jpg (153.3 KB, 40 views)
post #45 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmer1 View Post
I shut my car down at 4:30am, it's 12:20pm, so call it 8 hours.
When I shut the car down it was after putting about 200 miles on it with several pulls at a high power level, it was at full temp is my point.
As you can see all the temps match.
Yea my temps never match. IAT is always about 20 degrees hotter than outside temp before starting it. I was certain this meant something was wrong. But I went back to my tuner and they said theres no problem.
post #46 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSS15 View Post
Yea my temps never match. IAT is always about 20 degrees hotter than outside temp before starting it. I was certain this meant something was wrong. But I went back to my tuner and they said theres no problem.
Tuner is wrong. The calibration might be right but something isn't. Either the calibration or the sensor itself
a6d9cmro likes this.
post #47 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmer1 View Post
Tuner is wrong. The calibration might be right but something isn't. Either the calibration or the sensor itself
Yeah, I just checked mine, and my IAT with the car off is 75 degrees, and my garage (where the car has sat since Friday) is at 73.5 degrees.
Dsmer1 likes this.

2̶0̶1̶5̶ 2017 P̶e̶r̶f̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶B̶l̶u̶e̶ Orange Blast SS. 1 of 3̶2̶0̶0̶i̶s̶h̶ ?? built in 2̶0̶1̶5̶ 2017. 1 of 1 with sunroof, n̶o̶ ̶s̶p̶a̶r̶e̶ with spare, a̶u̶t̶o̶ manual gearbox, s̶m̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶d̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶d̶r̶i̶v̶e̶r̶'̶s̶ ̶d̶o̶o̶r̶ no dent yet, a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶i̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶c̶u̶r̶b̶ ̶r̶a̶s̶h̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶n̶t̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶r̶i̶m̶.̶ Eventually.

No low-ballers, I know what I have.
post #48 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz28 View Post
What is means is when rolling through traffic and hitting the throttle every now and then temps are gonna go way up past 200 and kill power. I see it all the time in mine and run an IAT gauge full time so I stay out of the throttle when it gets hot.
If I saw that on my IAT's I'd probably go in to a mini panic attack. I just came back from a 'spirited' jaunt on lunch now and it's 105 out right now per the weatherman and my AAT registered 109. Not once in stop and go traffic or on the highway did I go past 129 IAT. My normal in traffic is 18* over AAT and the highest I've EVER seen is 26* over. Maybe it's a difference in blower design but my NGauge is set to throw an alert light if the temps go over 135* and that's not happened yet. I'm even looking in to options for getting some cooler fresh air in to the air box since this is my first summer with the blower.

BTW this isn't an attack or a call for BS on dz28, I don't doubt he may see this but I would be concerned personally on my system if that's what I saw. I know all systems are different and if I was running a higher pressure system or more restrictive HX I could see these conditions building up higher.

-Steve

2017 SS [PBM 1 of 72 with sunroof, inflator & manual]
Whipple Supercharged, Rotofab & LMS tune
post #49 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSteve View Post

BTW this isn't an attack or a call for BS on dz28, I don't doubt he may see this but I would be concerned personally on my system if that's what I saw. I know all systems are different and if I was running a higher pressure system or more restrictive HX I could see these conditions building up higher.
no worries. had it out the Bakers of Milford yesterday and the easy back and forth the gauge was reading 98-120. then a quick blast over the bridge and down Wixom saw 158 then back to 125 once I hit free air. could just be the difference in how our gauges are set up or reading or whatever. I have a pair of gauges plugged directly into the ALDL port so it reads what the computer says...

and at rest before leaving it was in the middle 70's degree wise...

Drives:

2004 GTO **SOLD**= PBM M6
2009 G8 **SOLD**=MSM, MGM, and SRM GXP's
2014 SIM SS w/roof, Rotofab, Corsa, Xpel, VMAX TBI, CTS-V Brembo calipers & wheels, LSA by MJD w/600+ rwhp. 3320th built, # 151 of 164.
2016 SSB M6 w/roof no spare, lives in the desert, 1 of 35

Last edited by dz28; 06-24-2019 at 03:05 PM. Reason: sp
post #50 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

This is what I saw after a stop and go drive to Ocean City. Outside temp was about 82 I think. This is right after I shut the car off. Obviously 20 seconds of heat soak made it go up a couple degrees, but I dont see how this is EVER OK.

I later checked my wiring for my intercooler pump and found these gems. Fuse tap was very loose and was probably losing connection intermitently while driving.
I then ran a wire straight to my battery to test if the IC pump was turning on at all. It does. However I can hear what sounds like air in the system. Which has been the common diagnosis by many of you on here. When the pump first kicks on, it sounds very... swishy... or turbulent which is what I would expect if there was air present.

Ive since fixed the wiring issue, my next step will be adding a 1.7 gallon coolant tank in the cabin filter box area. This should help with bleeding the system right? As well as adding almost 2 gallons of water.

20190622_160706_1561415347144.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190623_121009_1561415484191.jpg (147.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20190623_121003_1561415496901.jpg (135.7 KB, 18 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page