LSA Supercharger Stock Cam vs LS9 Cam - Chevy SS Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

LSA Supercharger Stock Cam vs LS9 Cam

One of two things will be happening in the next couple of months. Either I will be selling my SS for a Hellcat, or supercharging the SS. I've wanted a Hellcat since they came out, but I'm having a hard time as to whether or not I want to part with my SS. Every time I think I want to sell the SS and am about to, something stops me. I don't know if it's the rarity of the car, or just how enjoyable the car is to drive and toss around combined with how spacious it is. I can't really put my finger on it, but I like this car A LOT and never had such difficulty in deciding whether or not to sell. Posted the car last night on cars.com, got a hit already this morning and am second guessing it again.

Anyway, if I decide to keep the car, I will be getting an LSA kit installed on the car. I don't want to change the cam BUT if I did, the only one I would consider is the LS9 cam. My question is, how much additional power would be gained on an LSA-ed car with the addition of the LS9 cam? Is it worth throwing it in there, or should I not even bother? I absolutely LOVE the way the car feels and drives now, I just want more when I really put some pedal into it. I know you lose some low end with the LS9 cam, but the LSA with the instant boost would probably remedy that. Current mods on the car are ARH 1 7/8 Long tubes, high flow gesi cats, x-pipe to stock mufflers, Roto-fab and ported TB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:35 PM

Why would you go with a stock cam when you can go with any thing else ? Owner of lsa and ls9 engines replace them for more power so why outdoor you limit yourself. Im not saying go for a max effort style, but choose something to suit better than a stock grind.

16 white ss, auto
06 Z06, lots of junk
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance575 View Post
Why would you go with a stock cam when you can go with any thing else ? Owner of lsa and ls9 engines replace them for more power so why outdoor you limit yourself. I’m not saying go for a max effort style, but choose something to suit better than a stock grind.
Because I don't want any lope or chop. I want a stock idle, no bucking or surging or much alteration in the torque curve or power delivery. I just want to simply raise the power level up without changing the curve. From what I gather, the LS9 cam doesn't change much when adding an LSA, just increases power. I'm just wondering by how much.

Last edited by Blackdevil77; 03-28-2019 at 09:49 PM.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:23 PM

The Brian Tooley stage 1 PDS cam is pretty stock sounding in this video. The video LS2 is 6.0 L when the LS3 is 6.3 making the cam "smaller". It was developed with positive displacement blower valve events in mind. Your long tube headers and intake have already made the car sound far from stock any way.

2016Machine and SLO_SS like this.

HSV Senator
Underway
Callies Compstar Rods
Carillo CP Pistons
Mellings Oil Pump
LS9 Engine Block
Cam change

Installed
Roush 2300TVS supercharger using WASP (Ford supercharger to LS engine) kit. WASP Laminova intercooler.
X Air - VF GTS CAI
Forced Induction interchillers, package

Brodix BR7-3 Heads
Pacemaker ceramic coated 1/7/8th Headers DiFillipo 3 inch twin system

Last edited by RoushSenator; 03-28-2019 at 10:27 PM.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoushSenator View Post
The Brian Tooley stage 1 PDS cam is pretty stock sounding in this video. The video LS2 is 6.0 L when the LS3 is 6.3 making the cam "smaller". It was developed with positive displacement blower valve events in mind. Your long tube headers and intake have already made the car sound far from stock any way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xE0Fb_BKPI
It does sound very tame. Reminds me of the Livernois 1C and the Lingenfelter GT11. Its the additional lift that worries me a bit. I'm not going for max power, I just want more of the same. Whatever that ends up being, I'm fine with (I'm thinking in the ballpark of ~550 rwhp with 8/9 psi). The ONLY reason I even considered the LS9 cam was 1. because it's completely audibly undetectable to my understanding, or detectable while driving and 2. Being a factory cam, it was designed with years of R&D behind it to be reliable with a warranty with a certain set of valve train components (which would have to be changed obviously with the swap). The cam decision isn't the big decision I'm trying to make, I'm basically stuck between supercharging my SS, or selling it for a Hellcat. I wish I could just buy a Hellcat and keep the SS, but the funds don't allow for that.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:50 AM

While Dodge has made the interiors of the Charger's nicer over the years, I think it still looks pretty boring compared to the SS. I'd much rather have the SS for the suspension also. The Charger is a good driving car since it's based on an old E-Class chassis but it is far from the best handling car out there.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:57 AM

redneck or hooligan.... your choice
copacetic1 likes this.

Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS > Grand Am GT > Nissan Maxima > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude > Infiniti G35 > BMW E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec > Chevy SS, Hyundai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX > Hyundai Tucson sport
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RS View Post
While Dodge has made the interiors of the Charger's nicer over the years, I think it still looks pretty boring compared to the SS. I'd much rather have the SS for the suspension also. The Charger is a good driving car since it's based on an old E-Class chassis but it is far from the best handling car out there.
I drove a Charger Hellcat and it drove fantastic. Extremely quiet, smooth a refined, more so than the SS, which was the opposite of what I was expecting. You close the heavy door, and it sounds like you hit the mute button to the outside world. It drove like a big luxury car. The interior was a bit too rental car like IMO, meaning the center cluster of buttons. The Challenger interior nicer IMO. Much cooler layout. If I were to trade up, it would be for a Challenger anyway.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:15 AM

Because I don't want any lope or chop. I want a stock idle, no bucking or surging or much alteration in the torque curve or power delivery. I just want to simply raise the power level up without changing the curve. From what I gather, the LS9 cam doesn't change much when adding an LSA, just increases power. I'm just wondering by how much.[/QUOTE]

If you are central PA feel free to take a ride in my car. It has a LSA, after market cam, lots of “more”. Idle is great, zero drivability issues.

2017 SS M6 LSA Kooks LT & Mids Crane Cam ID1050 2.55"
NewEra ZL1 CAI 675rwhp 602lb/ft 93 Octane
2018 Sierra Denali 6.2 A8
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 Diesel A8
1965 Impala 5.3 ls, M6
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSPowered65 View Post
Because I don't want any lope or chop. I want a stock idle, no bucking or surging or much alteration in the torque curve or power delivery. I just want to simply raise the power level up without changing the curve. From what I gather, the LS9 cam doesn't change much when adding an LSA, just increases power. I'm just wondering by how much.
If you are central PA feel free to take a ride in my car. It has a LSA, after market cam, lots of “more”. Idle is great, zero drivability issues.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the offer. I’m on Long Island, I’m not that far but not that close either. If I’m ever in PA I’ll PM you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page