Chevy SS Forum banner

And it begins! WHIPPLE

37K views 142 replies 28 participants last post by  chevy2fan 
#1 ·
Just picked up my 17 RHII 6M SS a few weeks back. I just ordered my Whipple today. I had the car tinted and detailed earlier this week. I picked up a set of 16/17 black powder coated rims a few weeks back that I think I'm going to have Nitto Invo's put on. I'm pretty excited to get this project started. It's been delayed far too long!

#4 ·
Awesome [emoji41]

#6 ·
I ran the vacuum side underhood and ran the power back to the BAP in the rear. I’ll take a pic when I go hone for lunch

#7 ·

I forgot that the power is to and from the BAP, so two female blade terminals later - boom one Hobbs’s switch all done

#8 · (Edited)
So I finally have it underway. I’m about 1/3 of the way done. I keep tripping myself up on how far I want to go with it. My big hang up was on the balancer on whether to use the two pin through the front or use an ATI style pin that goes in at a 90. I decided on pulling the balancer and doing the ATI style pin so if I pull it later I won’t have to drill multiple holes in the snout of the crank.

Please excuse the mess. I just moved to this house and still have a lot of unpacking to do.

Attachments

#143 ·
Okay, you win the BEST POST OF THE DAY contest (if we had one of those). Winning line - ..."excuse the mess."
Dude, so many people don't post pics, and far fewer attempt the Whipple install themselves. Well done bud.

Reactions: wilkin4
#9 ·
I also have the MGW shifter and decided to go with Solo High Flow Cats but otherwise stock exhaust. I should hopefully get both of those installed in the near future. I do want to get cut outs. I'm trying to keep it somewhat sedate so I don't overly offend my neighbors up here in puritanical Massachusetts. haha It's been fun wrenching on cars again as I haven't done that much since working at my fathers shop in high school and college.

For the past week I have been going back and forth on whether or not to do the cams at this stage since the balancer is off and the front fascia is off. I know I will probably be blasted to sack up and do it but my goal is mainly to have it be a driver. I have read a ton of threads on here on cams and articles and at this stage I think it will be a fun phase II improvement down the road to get a more aggressive cam and pump up the boost and really make it a monster.

#11 · (Edited)
I misread your post initially. Yes I would agree with you on the secondary cats in order to maximize flow. I am not planning to delete them at this stage. It may be something I do down the road and also dependent on where I put the cut outs I'd like to do.

#12 ·
For anyone who has done the whipple it has you shim the oil sensor up to get the release tab to face the back. It would seem that I should remove the compression ring before putting the shims in. Any thoughts anyone? The instructions aren’t very clear and the compression ring doesn’t want to come off

Attachments

#15 ·
Has anyone noticed that in the instructions it tells you that you need Blue, Red and Green loctite and it states that all bolts that need Loctite are marked. I just scanned the instructions and could only find they have Red loctite being put on the balancer bolt and blue loctite for the idler bolts. I may have missed it but I didn't find the green anywhere.

The bumper support and windshield washer reservoir bolts all looked like they had blue loctite from the factory. Just curious if I'm missing something which I'm sure is the case.

#17 · (Edited)
@R1perry or anyone else who has installed a Whipple. Has anyone run into their idler hitting the engine block on the tensioner assembly from Whipple? I was going to get a washer to shim out the idler but in case if I'm missing something or did something wrong please let me know.

Attachments

#19 ·
There are 2 threaded blocks that secure the 2 idlers. On the back of the idler bracket there are slides for adjustment. Flip both of the threaded inserts so they are adjusted out as far as they can be. The threaded inserts are oblong and can be flipped in the slide area. It is tight, but both pullies have to be out as far as they can be. It does not look like they are oblong, but take it apart and look at the threaded blocks. Hope that helps or pm me your phone# and I can maybe describe it better.

#24 ·
Get some miles on it and then please post your driving impressions, especially suitability as a DD.

#27 ·
Whipple is the way to go. We are an authorized installing dealer and they really make a great supercharger kit for this car.

Swamp Donkeys, nice set up. When you're ready to start Phase II give us a call. We can help with any fuel system upgrades and we can get you anything else you might need.

#28 ·
I just went through the installation manual and made some comments that may help those on the fence on doing it. At the end of the day it was a fun install. It took a little longer than anticipated and definitely scratched my head more than once. Rperry was very helpful who installed his earlier this year.

Attachments

#32 ·
I feel like doing the install by yourself adds another level of appreciation for it. Sucked at certain times, but in the end makes me smile. I especially enjoyed waking up to the sound of the car waking me up as my wife took it to her workout class. Feel like means something to haha.

#33 ·
OK, fixing to order mine.. what do you do with the kazoo tube? is there a delete included with the kit? going to do the full kit so i can diy and then order new injectors, e85 kit, aux pump and smaller pulley later for more grins but i didnt see anything about the kazoo tube in the instructions for 15/16.

Reactions: R1perry
#34 ·
The kit doesn't deal with it. I eliminated mine. There are a bunch of threads on here on how to cover up the hole. It only takes about 10-15mins to remove it. Some people did plugs and some bought or made cover plates. I have PDF instructions that I marked up and could send you for the sections that I found were not very clear.

#38 ·
Where did you get the flywheel holding tool or are you a manual?

#37 ·
Awesome! Well, mine is officially ordered. gonna do DSX Aux pump and e85 setup also at the same time! Super pumped!

Reactions: 41AH24 and Taze
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.