Z28 Rear Differential Cooler? - Chevy SS Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Z28 Rear Differential Cooler?

Has anyone investigated the Z28 rear diff cooler kit? Essentially the cooler kit replaces the rear cover on the diff and you run fluid lines to the transmission. The kit runs ~$550-$600 (I think MSRP is $750) so it's not prohibitively expensive.

I've been taking a look at it since it doesn't seem like our rear diffs are the strongest item in the world. (Nothing new for GM RWD, 4th gen F-bodys have the same issue.) It seems like keeping the fluid temps under control could only help prolong its life.

I was under my car on Friday and noticed that the manual transmission appears to have a cooler (at the very least it does have cooling lines running to it), so adding the rear diff cooler should be relatively easy.

I'm assuming that we would need to fabricate longer cooler lines between the transmission and rear diff, but otherwise I would think the install would be fairly straightforward.

Thoughts? Refutations? Tell me I'm an idiot for even thinking about it?
Vicarious_Lee likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 08:39 AM

pretty much wondered the same thing....go for it!

Bill Harper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

I'm thinking about it, but if I do it will probably be a couple months while I research and collect funds/parts.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 11:12 AM

I have that kit ordered, so I'll report as soon as it comes in. I don't thing it will be a direct replacement, I think our rear end is different. I thought it might be good for ideas on how to modify our rear cover to adapt the cooler.

The other problem is that our rear cover is not available separately; only the whole diff, so I won't have both parts in hand to compare.
Esoteric likes this.

2015 SS, White, M6, Solid Roof, Spare, 11/10/14 TPW, Arrived 2/26/15
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speartech View Post
The other problem is that our rear cover is not available separately; only the whole diff, so I won't have both parts in hand to compare.
Gotta be more than enough Z's wrapped around trees by now to get a very lightly used part, right?

Thank God for the progeny of the 1%; double-digit IQs, six-figure allowance!
Vicarious_Lee and utekineir like this.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speartech View Post
I have that kit ordered, so I'll report as soon as it comes in. I don't thing it will be a direct replacement, I think our rear end is different. I thought it might be good for ideas on how to modify our rear cover to adapt the cooler.

Please do, I'm interested to see what you find out.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 08:04 PM

Manual Transmission
Manual Transmission Fluid. (GM Part No. 88861800)
Rear Axle
Castrol SAF Carbon Modified SAE 75W/85 API GL5 Differential Oil (GM Part No. 92184900).
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 09:24 PM

Garage
what is going to "pump" the fluid in the diff? if there is a boss of flat spot to anchor a 90 degree fitting there should be a way to pull the fluid...

maybe im missing something?
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 10:26 PM

the gear lube stays in the rear axle--the cooling medium is pumped to the rear axle, and the heat exchanger/cooler built into the cover cools the gear lube.

Coolant is from the transmission (manual) which has it's own fluid cooler/pump system. That's what I'm thinking, anyway....

Z/28 Rear Differential Module Cooler Kit 23216684

Chevrolet News - United States - Camaro Z28

The Z/28 uses a unique, GM-designed differential cooler that incorporates an integral heat exchanger, eliminating the need for an external pump, wiring, relays, temperature sensors and fan. The innovative system pumps overcooled transmission fluid to a heat exchanger inside the differential housing, which removes excess heat from the differential fluid, reducing temperatures by over 100 degrees F (38 C), helping the differential maintain cool, stable performance throughout the most aggressive road course sessions.

Bill Harper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 10:42 PM

My original plan was to get the Z28 diff cooler assembly and a spare SS rear diff cover and have my machinist guy adapt the cooler into the SS cover. Not sure what I'll do now that the SS diff cover is not available separately. He could assumably still do it, but without a spare rear cover, the down time may be excessive.

2015 SS, White, M6, Solid Roof, Spare, 11/10/14 TPW, Arrived 2/26/15

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page