Which motor oil? How much $$$? Where do you get it? - Chevy SS Forum
 103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Which motor oil? How much $$$? Where do you get it?

At Costco today I saw Mobil 1 5W20 (and 5W30) for decent prices.

Wondering what you guys do for motor oil for this Bad Bisch...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 06:52 PM

Garage
I use 5W30
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 06:57 PM

Walmart has 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 for $23 right now. Manufacture recommendation for me.
BadTrainDriver likes this.

2016 Chevrolet SS M6 (Company Car) ???
1969 Corvette 434CID Small Block one run 11.9 @ 124mph street tires, full exhaust, 3.08 Rear end
2001 Ski-doo MX-Zx 800cc Snowmobile 0-60 3.9sec. on snow
1967 Wife 0-3 kids in 5.5 years Stock no modifications.

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The owners manual calls for "Dexos" (trade-name) 5w30 oil. The prescribed motor oil in the owners manual is a fully synthetic product manufactured by Mobil Corp for General Motors. Am not an oil expert, but I can tell you that the owners manual in some GM cars does call for a Mobil 1 synthetic oil. That said, the SS manual calls for the "Dexos" product. (also fully synthetic and mfrd by Mobil). Soooo, does the oil have any additives or modifiers not present in regular Mobil 1? I do not know. Maybe we have a Mobil insider who can shed light on this. Am quite happy to follow O/M regs with the knowledge that that prescribed product is indeed a Mobil product and secondly is synthetic.

15 RPG roof spare and bolt action #1 of 12
16 MGM roof (added spare) slushbox #8 of 14
17 NGM slick-top spare and bolt action #x of 31
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by par1969 View Post
Walmart has 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 for $23 right now. Manufacture recommendation for me.
Mobil rebate just ended June 1. You would get $12 rebate on each 5gt jug last week.

I only buy during Mobil or Pennzoil rebates and average cost is about $11/5qts for a synthetic Dexos spec 5W-30.
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseman08 View Post
The owners manual calls for "Dexos" (trade-name) 5w30 oil. The prescribed motor oil in the owners manual is a fully synthetic product manufactured by Mobil Corp for General Motors. Am not an oil expert, but I can tell you that the owners manual in some GM cars does call for a Mobil 1 synthetic oil. That said, the SS manual calls for the "Dexos" product. (also fully synthetic and mfrd by Mobil). Soooo, does the oil have any additives or modifiers not present in regular Mobil 1? I do not know. Maybe we have a Mobil insider who can shed light on this. Am quite happy to follow O/M regs with the knowledge that that prescribed product is indeed a Mobil product and secondly is synthetic.
The "prescribed" product is any mfg 5W-30 oil with Dexos certification on the label. Odds are the dealer puts in a different oil than what came in your Aussie crankcase. Also I bet the premium oils you buy at Walmartis are superior to either mfg or dealer fills.
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 36thEVACVet View Post
The "prescribed" product is any mfg 5W-30 oil with Dexos certification on the label. Odds are the dealer puts in a different oil than what came in your Aussie crankcase. Also the premium oils you buy at Walmart is superior to either mfg or dealer fills.

You do realize that @wiseman08 is service manager at a dealership that has one of the best reputations in the nation when it comes to knowledge of our SS, right?
Please list your credentials.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Martin
2014 SS, Heron White, A6, no mods, #3334 of MY2014
and 41 of 41 as built of the 534 HW. Born on Feb 6, 2014.
2016 Silverado 1500 LTZ CC Summit White.
Chevy SS Production & Sales Info for All Years can be found here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Direct link to spreadsheet here:

post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinetree View Post
You do realize that @wiseman08 is service manager at a dealership that has one of the best reputations in the nation when it comes to knowledge of our SS, right?
Please list your credentials.
He wasn't posting from his "knowledge" of the SS. He was asking questions.

My credentials? I can read the GM manual and the Dexos requirements for certification. Even a very wise man can overthink things.
BadTrainDriver likes this.
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
dexos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36thEVACVet View Post
He wasn't posting from his "knowledge" of the SS. He was asking questions.

My credentials? I can read the GM manual and the Dexos requirements for certification. Even a very wise man can overthink things.
We as a group sometimes quibble about oils and filters and on and on... What I will say is that the SS is the ONLY car that I have ever been, EVER been tempted enough to pony up cash for as a new car... When you work at a dealership your whole adult life its easy to get a "meh", "its-just-another-car-kinda-sentiment". I get that. Also painfully aware of other members painful dealer experiences. That said, I do champion the "Certified" oil listed in the owners manual. The Mfr does want to limit potential warranty expense.. As owner of STS/CTS Caddies (that did not excite me enough to buy new), the prescribed oil was Mobil 1. I think the manufacturer would not direct us to us the Dexos 5/w30 and instead the "other" product as a way to lessen the possible liability of lubrication concerns. Indeed there are oils you can find on the aisle at WalMart that meet Dexos "requirements", but do they "exceed" the reqs? I doubt they do as the mfr will search for the best lubricant to lessen their liability every time. Again not an oil scientist and I generally think that the mfr will always recommend the lubricant/oil/filter that leaves them less-on-the-hook for liability. 36 evac.. Sorry if you got a bad taste in your mouth from a dealer. I see/hear about that much more than I care to. Hate it. Feel your pain, but we are far from pumping a WalMart product in your car over here. Love the car. As a long time Chevrolet man I am quite at ease putting this oil in my car. I live in rural no-where and I can honestly say almost with a snicker, I have almost 20 miles of nothing on my way to and from work and my cars sing pretty much at full song, twisted hard, on my way in and out. Always available with any addtnl info I can provide by PM if wanted -- John

f
Smirnoff67 and ScottSS like this.

15 RPG roof spare and bolt action #1 of 12
16 MGM roof (added spare) slushbox #8 of 14
17 NGM slick-top spare and bolt action #x of 31
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 10:53 PM

Garage
Only the finest for my car.

Extra Virgin Olive

- Jeff
2015 Corvette Z51 3LT: 8AT, Velocity Yellow, COMP Seat, Carbon Roof & Dash, & More
SOLD 2015 SS: #2868 built, #21 of 24 As Optioned
6MT, Sunroof, Spare, SLIHRM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page