Absurd Oil Consumption - Chevy SS Forum
 103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Absurd Oil Consumption

Hey all,
Wondering if any of you have some insight into what might be going on with my 15' SS 6MT. I changed my oil about 3500 miles ago and decided to check my oil today on a whim. It was reading BELOW the minimum line which terrified me. However, because of the odd design of the dipstick on this motor and the trouble I've had with getting a proper reading in the past, I thought maybe I was getting a bad reading. To boot, a tech at my last dealer oil change forced the dipstick in and bent it, so I also surmise that it may not be reaching the bottom of the sump. However, I checked my oil shortly after that oil change with said bent dipstick and got a perfect reading of 8 quarts.

I put 3 quarts in since the gas station I checked it at is right next to a NAPA (I was clearly thinking with my [bent] dipstick, Jimmy) of the same Royal Purple 5W-30 as my last change. After two quarts it was reading slightly above the the halfway point on the hash mark and after the third quart is reading right at the top point of the hash marks.

Now, what would possibly have caused an LS3 with less than 20,000 miles to burn 3 quarts of oil in 3500 miles? I've heard of oil consumption on high revving BMW V8's and turbocharged motors, but nothing like this. I am pretty confident the dipstick isn't the issue since the tube straightens it out, and that I've gotten a good reading with it before. The only thing I can possibly think of is that since my car was a CTF (Certified Test Fleet) car, that the motor wasn't broken in properly by whoever took delivery, and the rings have a bad seal and there is massive amounts of blow-by. However, I have never smelled burning oil from this motor at all, neither in the cabin nor under the hood.

My next question is, how the **** didn't this motor kill itself if it was running three quarts low? Are LS3's really that tough? I enjoy this car to its full potential to say the least. If this issue has been persisting, how has it lasted this long without breaking some major internal component?

Furthermore, if my motor is burning this much oil (as I plan to change it tomorrow or the next day, get a baseline, and then measure consumption over the following 500 mile intervals up until I am due for a change or I burn off enough to need to add more) do I have a case for a warranty claim of some sort?

I plan to take a sample of this change and send it to Blackstone to see if any serious damage was done by the excessively low levels of oil during operation.

Any input is appreciated.

'15 PSG 6MT No Hole/Tire - 1 of 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 08:46 PM

Garage
Not sure about what is going on but I thought I read somewhere that this motor tends to consume oil.

The DD: 2006 Honda Civic LX (modded)
The Wife's car: 2012 Mazda CX-9
The Heavy Hauler: 2005 Silverado Ext Cab (modded)
The Toy: 2015 Mystic Green SS, 6spd, sunroof, full spare, Roto-fab intake, VMAX TB, ARH 1-7/8 Long Tubes , Livernois Stage 2 N/A build, Livernois 93 octane tune, and many more goodies.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 08:53 PM

Garage
my new 16 6speed used no oil up to the first oil change (3000 miles) , however i never "excercise" until it is fully warmed up . , at first change paid for upgrade to UPF ac delco filter and mobil 1 , have you checked for leaks ? , seems they had some problems with normal ac delco filters ...

todd j

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat DeBery View Post
After two quarts it was reading slightly above the the halfway point on the hash mark and after the third quart is reading right at the top point of the hash marks.
I would wonder if the person who bent your dipstick put in a different one. As far as I know, the hash marks represent one quart, top being full, bottom being one quart low. If one full quart only raised the level half of that parameter on the dipstick I'd wonder why.
I don't think you've been running three quarts low, at least not for long. The LS3 is that tough, but you would have had indication of some sort prior to that. What that indication would be I can't speak to, perhaps Wiseman or CB or someone else will chime in. Keep us informed as you move forward!
Z06fan likes this.
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No, it's the same dipstick because it still has a kink in it. And it wasn't just below the bottom of the hashed area with the three indentations, it was below the LOWEST indentation mark, near the bottom of the dipstick.

I'm just as confused as you are. There's no way it could've run this well, this long, with NO signs of any issues (no lights under heavy acceleration or braking, even). I'm thoroughly rattled. Thanks for your input 15SS, hopefully they will chime in!
15SuperSport likes this.

post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 09:05 PM

Garage
Go to your dealer for the oil consumption issue. They will top off your oil,and ask them to start an oil consumption test. You will need to bring it back when it is either 1qt. low, or 1K miles. You will do this a few times so they can verify it is consistently burning oil. This is the only way to get it covered under warranty.

2014 SIM - No roof or Spare
Kooks headers and exhaust, LSA
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I also let my motor warm up properly EVERY time I drive. I have owned BMW's which are absurdly finicky when it comes to warming them up.
ragingclue and Bow Tie Affair like this.

post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 09:07 PM

Some have reported service not filling to specification, not accounting for oil cooler...!
You can hope it's something that simple. Hope not damaged and you might want to get
oil tested for excessive metals.
69Mach390 likes this.

GERALDCHRISTIE6
BORN 10/30/14 #153 BUILT, #13 0F 277
2015 HERON WHITE/SUNROOF/FULL SIZE SPARE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 09:10 PM

Garage
Step one: Replace the bent dipstick.

Until you do that we're just pissing in the wind.
CB750, KWBaraka, esfoad and 2 others like this.
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 09:47 PM

Interested in outcome. GL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page