Wiring up a wideband - Chevy SS Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Wiring up a wideband

So I am going to install my new wideband next time I get a day off, what is everyone tapping into to piggyback power off of ? It needs to come on with remote start, pretty much whenever the engine is running it needs to be on. What are you tapping into and did you use a relay or anything like that ? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bump... nobody can help me out ?
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 12:04 PM

Radar detector??? Not sure what you mean by wide band.

2015 Chevrolet SS_PBM_M6_Sunroof (Sold)
2017 Chevrolet SS_OBM_M6_Sunroof

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 12:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06fan View Post
He's talking about a Wideband Air Fuel Ratio Gauge, I'm assuming anyway. As for wiring, and switched 12v should work, could do an "add a fuse" off the center console charging port. Other then that there should be a good amount of 12v switched circuits in the interior fuse box.
Z06fan likes this.

-MY16 SS, Heron White, Auto, Sunroof, Spare #1204
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samirq12 View Post
So I am going to install my new wideband next time I get a day off, what is everyone tapping into to piggyback power off of ? It needs to come on with remote start, pretty much whenever the engine is running it needs to be on. What are you tapping into and did you use a relay or anything like that ? TIA
Depends on the location of your wideband. My radar detector is up by the overhead console, so I tapped into the switched power to the sunroof inside the overhead console.

My phone mount is located on the passenger side of the lower center console, so I tapped into the cigarette lighter socket that's located inside the center console compartment.

In both cases, the devices switch on/off with the car's ignition. Works perfectly for my needs.

'16 SLIHRM Auto/Roof/Spare | #1,584 of 2,221 (#66 of 85, as optioned)
'07 Suburban 1500 LTZ 6.0L
'98 XJ on 35s, 4.0L/AW4
'77 Stretched CJ5 on 38.5s, 455 Olds/700R4
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 12:43 PM

Garage
Here's the thing, some widebands are sensitive to voltage supply. The Innovate widebands are, at least. That means you can use a switched power source for a relay, but the actual power should be from a source like the positive terminal in the engine bay. It's been a while, but when I wired a wideband in my Camaro, it crapped out after a couple months. Killed a sensor or two, kept acting up, etc. Replaced the gauge and controller and had the same problem, turns out it was my 12V supply. I used the same Innovate LC-2 in my Hombre swap and it's been working flawlessly for 8500 miles so far, road trips, daily service, etc. Just make sure you find out what NOT to wire it to from the manufacturer and abide.

1957 Chevy 210 Belair Wagon LS3/4L80e
2005 Pontiac GTO LS2/4L65e
2014 Chevy SS 6L80e
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I wideband is an A/F ratio gauge... anyways yes I know its sensitive to voltage thats why this is kind of kicking my ass, I also haven't had time to actually look into any of the wiring throughout the car. Was hoping maybe someone here had done it before. Thanks for all the help anyways.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06fan View Post
hahahahahahhaha

You can tell the type of owner demographic we have with these cars lol.

wideband A/F ratio, use it calibrate your air/spark/fuel ratio usually most newb tuners just do WOT, because thats where you break ****, but there is a lot that can be done to improve driveability of a modded car by logging and using a properly calibrated gauge for lambda readings.

Just messing with ya.
Z06fan and BDSS like this.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 06:38 AM
rao

With this car the majority of circuits are always on which makes wiring things like a wideband (or 2 ) more challenging. There are a scant few circuits in the under the hood fuse box that are switched 12v; once you identify one you are happy with using that to trigger a relay makes the wiring pretty straight forward.

Rob
Prior - 2017 6MT
Prior - 2015 6MT
Too many LS swaps to list
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Did it yesterday, I bought a fuse adapter and put it in fuse number 48 I believe in the large fuse box under the hood. Everything appears to be working great, turns on when it needs to be on, turns off when it needs to be off. Haven't bought a pod yet so its just chillin in the cubby hole in front of the shifter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page