Car Wash / Wax - Page 2 - Chevy SS Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 09:56 PM

Garage
I totally recommend the Junkman videos AND Adam's Products...

The swirl-less shine is for your enjoyment only, well, for the most part. As a frequent shower of cars, 90+% of the cars that win are swirled to heck... After competing several years with a perfect finish, I just stopped caring about whether it was swirl-less. I didn't flub my washing methods, but I don't painstakingly buff like I used to, plus I sold the black car that owned me lol.

To answer your question, you don't NEED high dollar stuff, but depending on the conditions in which your car sits will determine the longevity of any wax you use. The cheaper, the shorter time it lasts if it is in direct sunlight (same goes for a pricier wax, but lasts longer).
Twisted likes this.

1970 Oldsmobile 442 W-30 | Twilight Blue | Numbers Matching
1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme | White | Numbers Matching U-Code
2009 Pontiac G8 GT | PBM | Solo Exhaust | Otherwise Stock | His
2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT | Stryker Blue | ARH Headers | Magnaflow Exhuast | Vector ECM/TCM Tune | Volant CAI | Hers
2015 Chevrolet SS | Perfect Blue | M6 | Sunroof | #4 of 44 to Spec | Sold

Last edited by Kendra; 07-12-2017 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Typo's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversled View Post
Larry Kosilla from ammonyc.com
This!!!

Most carnuba waxes are good for short term shine but won't really protect like many other available products.
I've found Griots Garage One Step Sealant is an easy and inexpensive way to add some protection. Definitely keeps my car cleaner between washes.
Ammo wash, Mothers clay, Griots Sealant, add a coat of Ammo Skin on the next wash and you're good to go for 6mos-1yr with just a wash when needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4246_1499914318135.jpg (86.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4249_1499914342482.jpg (102.2 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Brad02ss; 07-12-2017 at 10:52 PM.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 11:04 PM

Start here. Everything you could ever need no matter which path you choose.

Detailed Image - Premium Auto Detailing and Car Care Products

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendra View Post
I totally recommend the Junkman videos AND Adam's Products...

The swirl-less shine is for your enjoyment only, well, for the most part. As a frequent shower of cars, 90+% of the cars that win are swirled to heck... After competing several years with a perfect finish, I just stopped caring about whether it was swirl-less. I didn't flub my washing methods, but I don't painstakingly buff like I used to, plus I sold the black car that owned me lol.

To answer your question, you don't NEED high dollar stuff, but depending on the conditions in which your car sits will determine the longevity of any wax you use. The cheaper, the shorter time it lasts if it is in direct sunlight (same goes for a pricier wax, but lasts longer).
Thanks for the feedback . . . finally, someone who actually answered my question . . .

To most of the others who responded:

I had hoped it would have been implied from my inquiry, that I had already watched Junkman videos, based on my statement of having read the pertinent threads . . . indicating I was planning on implementing two mit, two bucket, top down wash technique . . . I also was hoping it would be fairly obvious that I was treating and talking about wax, like wax, like Junkman very clearly does, as a protectant, not as a source of polish or shine . . . not sure about claybar . . . I don't know, my eyes aren't all that great, but I don't even know what people are talking about with "swirl" . . . never noticed it before on any car I've ever driven . . . and don't notice it on my new SS . . . can't tell what people are talking about when they post pictures and comparisons, etc. I know my eyes aren't great, and I'll be the first to admit that, so I believe everyone, that I guess it is a "thing", but if it is not a "thing" I notice or care about myself, what's wrong with doing a decent wash following Junkman's instructive washing methods? I surmise they are basically all centered around the concept of not letting the dirt you are trying to wash off, scratch the paint, then simply protecting the paint with a basic wax, like turtle wax, like I've used on all my former cars . . . if all wax is, is a protectant, what difference does it really make which one you use? As the "vaunted" Junkman himself states . . . it is only a protectant, NOT a source of polish or shine . . . My SS is garaged, and my former experience with turtle wax is two coats, gets me a solid 6-9 months of protection . . . depending on mileage, amount of time out and about . . .

As I stated in my post I'm not a detail enthusiast, and particularly don't like the idea of my possessions owning me, and I have it quite the other way around . . .

I guess to be more clear with my main point/conundrum, can I avoid the whole "clay-bar" thing . . . and just wax after I give it a good wash? Like I've done on all my previous cars? If, for whatever reason, I ever sell it, and some detail enthusiast takes it over, wouldn't they be able to let the wax deteriorate or strip it themselves, and do the whole "clay-bar" paint/swirl correction at that point? Or will I have permanently embedded those swirl defects into the car?
Kendra likes this.

2 Kings 9:20 ". . . and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he drives furiously.Ē

1969 Volkswagen Bug in Baby Blue
1973 Plymouth Duster in White/Green Vinyl Top
1985 Volkswagen Vanagon in Blue
1996 Chevrolet Impala SS in Black
2001 Chevrolet Cavalier in White (son's old car)
2003 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally in Yellow (daughter's old car)
2000 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 in Gold
2018 Chevrolet Camaro (daughter's new car)
2017 Chevrolet SS in Phantom Black
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 08:44 AM

Nothing wrong with just washing correctly and an OTC wax/sealant. I would stick with the same brand of products as they are designed to work together. Personally I would use....

Meguiars Gold Class or Meguiars Wash and Wax car wash soap.

Meguiar's Gold Class Wash, 48 oz

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s-...48-oz/23554631

Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s-...d-Wax/16550244

For the wax/sealant I would us Meguiars Ultimate Fast Finish. The Fast Finish is a newer product, spray and wipe, very fast and easy application,.much less time than applying a wax then waiting to buff it off. It repels dust quite well and lasts a long time. It's available at Walmart, however I don't see it on the website. Here's a review of the product...

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...d.php?t=107293

Clay bar and swirl removal can be done at anytime, by the next owner as you asked, nothing is permanently locked in unless it's a scratch that has burned through the clear coat or paint.

The benefit of you doing the clay bar now would result in the wax bonding better to the paint, thus lasting longer as a protectant.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2014 PBM - Holden Conversion + Blackout Trim
Corsa, Vararam, Weathertech
Morimoto XB 6500k HIDs, LED Fogs/Reverse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Boudin; 07-13-2017 at 09:07 AM.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 09:02 AM

Some waxes are better than others. If you want great customer service and an outstanding guarantee, go with Adams. Try returning an open bottle of Maguires to Sprawlmart and asking for 110% of your money back! Their Buttery Wax is a great product, I think you would be happy with it.
As for clay, have you tried the baggie test? Feeling the surface of an unclayed car can be an eye opener. And a clayed, uncontaminated surface is much smoother and makes it easier to apply/remove the wax.
If you want to see swirls, watch more of the Junkmans or Adams videos. They point them out. However, once you know what to look for you start to see them everywhere! And then you want to remove them. That's where the addiction starts!

Here's a thread that gives you an idea
Polished Sisters Car... - Detailing Write-Ups - Adams Forums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare. #21 of 3527, 1 of 144 in MG, #2 of 60 as optioned (sold).

2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare. #555 of 2221, 1 of 76 in Mystic Green, #9 of 18 as optioned, One of 12,924 total built

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP, MSM, 6M. #715 of 1829

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP, MSM, 6A. #807 of 1829

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 09:17 AM

Car Wash / Wax

It's your car, care for it however you are comfortable. You sound like you are in the middle of the bell-curve like me, between those that don't give a hoot and those that obsess about every perceived imperfection with the car.

I like a clean car and have started using Adam's products for washing/cleaning, but don't have the time to be overly uptight about keeping the paint perfect. Perfect, swirl-free paint might help with resale, but not much more than just keeping the car clean and in overall good condition.

If it's garaged most of the time and you clean the exterior and interior when it's dirty, I think your good. Anything on the clear coat/paint can generally be corrected with a little time and skill, and good washing practices with some form of paint protection should suffice for all but the detail "enthusiasts".

"Don't get stuck on stupid."

Career politicians suck; that doesnít mean the rest of us have to as well.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 10:09 AM

To answer the question about permanently embedded those swirl defects into the car. That would only happen when you put a ceramic coating on the car. You are embedding the finish as it is at that time. If you're car is new and you are happy with the look after a wash, just use one of these spray sealants every few months which says it lasts 6 months. Doesn't get much easier and quicker than that. Just use microfiber towels so you don't add more swirl marks than the carwash or daily use adds.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGone View Post
If you're car is new and you are happy with the look after a wash, just use one of these spray sealants every few months which says it lasts 6 months. Doesn't get much easier and quicker than that. Just use microfiber towels so you don't add more swirl marks than the carwash or daily use adds.
I agree with this, if your primary concern is to protect the paint from the environment without spending the big bucks up front for a professionally applied ceramic coating, and without requiring a huge time investment, just use a spray-on, wipe-off sealant every 2-3 months. Far less effort than a wax that requires elbow grease to buff-out. Now it will not temporarily hide micro-scratches and swirls like a traditional wax, but it will keep the car looking great over the long term. The ease of application means you are more likely to keep up with it than something that requires more effort like semi-annual wax-on/wax-off obligations.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

O.K. thanks for the tips . . . too many to quote . . . I'm not opposed to using Maguires or some other brand I can just go to the store and buy . . . Not really interested in buying online, or in bulk . . . I already have some unused Turtle Wax which was why I was leaning in that direction . . . so no need to go to the store . . . but if a spray-on, wipe off sealant will do just as good a job with less elbow grease, I might look into that now . . . I already invested in micro-fiber towels as mentioned . . .

I have had the car about a month and a half and only about 650 miles so far, so I was getting ready for first wash / wax and just wanted a bit of advice on the regimen I should use as someone who is definitely and decidedly NOT a detail enthusiast . . . just kind of a "want to take decent care of the exterior guy" especially while its new and especially since its only the 2nd car I've ever bought brand new . . .

When taking decent care of it crosses over into obsessive addiction . . . that is definitely where it stops for me . . . I'm not taking better care of my car than I take of myself, my family, etc.

So, while I believe everyone about "swirl" and plastic baggie test etc. I think I'll avoid it since I can't for the life of me even see what the difference is (bad eyes I guess), I think I'll just stick to proper wash (glad to learn Junkman's sensible techniques via this forum) and couple of coats of wax (or sealant) twice a year . . .

2 Kings 9:20 ". . . and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he drives furiously.Ē

1969 Volkswagen Bug in Baby Blue
1973 Plymouth Duster in White/Green Vinyl Top
1985 Volkswagen Vanagon in Blue
1996 Chevrolet Impala SS in Black
2001 Chevrolet Cavalier in White (son's old car)
2003 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally in Yellow (daughter's old car)
2000 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 in Gold
2018 Chevrolet Camaro (daughter's new car)
2017 Chevrolet SS in Phantom Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page