Samsung TV virus warning - Chevy SS Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Samsung TV virus warning

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48664251

... and the previous warning about "listening" ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31296188

Still worried about Onstar spying on you ???
Taze and SilverSport like this.

2017 SIM ROOFLESS SPARE AUTO UNSULLIED
2,701st of 4,008 built 2-5-2017
12th of 17 built as configured

2014 SIM ROOFLESS - Traded
2,703rd customer car built
1 of 73 ROOFLESS SIM customer built cars
1 of 78 total ROOFLESS SIM in US when including the 5 roofless SIM GM internal cars sold as used.
1 of the 78 is confirmed dead and unrecoverable.

I don't do lazy or stupid.
Proudly politically incorrect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:39 PM

I have a Samsung with the Bixby voice feature. It's Ok but you need to hold the thing right next to you face for it to be able to hear you.

I'm more worried about Alexa in the kitchen or Siri in my pants than Bixby on the couch.
SS_Scott and V8Rumble like this.

2016 Chevy SS 6MT HW
1971 240z 5MT
2015 BMW i3 (wife's Car)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:52 PM

This!!

“The family had become in effect an extension of the Thought Police. It was a device by means of which everyone could be surrounded night and day by informers who knew him intimately.”
― George Orwell, 1984

And This!!

“Once the government can demand of a publisher the names of the purchasers of his publications, the free press as we know it disappears. Then the spectre of a government agent will look over the shoulder of everyone who reads. The purchase of a book or pamphlet today may result in a subpoena tomorrow. Fear of criticism goes with every person into the bookstall. The subtle, imponderable pressures of the orthodox lay hold. Some will fear to read what is unpopular, what the powers-that-be dislike. When the light of publicity may reach any student, any teacher, inquiry will be discouraged. The books and pamphlets that are critical of the administration, that preach an unpopular policy in domestic or foreign affairs, that are in disrepute in the orthodox school of thought will be suspect and subject to investigation. The press and its readers will pay a heavy price in harassment. But that will be minor in comparison with the menace of the shadow which government will cast over literature that does not follow the dominant party line. If the lady from Toledo can be required to disclose what she read yesterday and what she will read tomorrow, fear will take the place of freedom in the libraries, book stores, and homes of the land. Through the harassment of hearings, investigations, reports, and subpoenas government will hold a club over speech and over the press."

[United States v. Rumely, 345 U.S. 41 (1953)]”
― William O. Douglas

Just some food for thought!!!!

CB750, Taze, wiseman08 and 3 others like this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 03:37 PM

Garage
As an IT person, I have told people for years to that if you can say a word and the device responds, then by design its listening all the time. No thanks, I will not have any of those in my house.

As far as OnStar goes, I have had that for years and the safety aspects to me outweigh the other concerns. One funny story though... years ago I had an Oldsmobile Bravada with OnStar. I was parked in a parking lot eating lunch between client visits. I guess my straw on my cup somehow hit the Red emergency button that was on the bottom of the rearview mirror and I didn't notice. So there I was eating by myself and of course not talking but I am sure making other noises. Suddenly a loud voice shouts out "Mr. Spencer we can hear you are you OK? We have emergency services in route your location!" I about crapped my pants because it took me a second to realize it was the OnStar operator and not God or someone else!

Needless to say my biggest injury was embarrassment. Then huridely telling the OnStar folks to cancel calling the ambulance.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESindon View Post
This!!

“The family had become in effect an extension of the Thought Police. It was a device by means of which everyone could be surrounded night and day by informers who knew him intimately.”
― George Orwell, 1984

And This!!

“Once the government can demand of a publisher the names of the purchasers of his publications, the free press as we know it disappears. Then the spectre of a government agent will look over the shoulder of everyone who reads. The purchase of a book or pamphlet today may result in a subpoena tomorrow. Fear of criticism goes with every person into the bookstall. The subtle, imponderable pressures of the orthodox lay hold. Some will fear to read what is unpopular, what the powers-that-be dislike. When the light of publicity may reach any student, any teacher, inquiry will be discouraged. The books and pamphlets that are critical of the administration, that preach an unpopular policy in domestic or foreign affairs, that are in disrepute in the orthodox school of thought will be suspect and subject to investigation. The press and its readers will pay a heavy price in harassment. But that will be minor in comparison with the menace of the shadow which government will cast over literature that does not follow the dominant party line. If the lady from Toledo can be required to disclose what she read yesterday and what she will read tomorrow, fear will take the place of freedom in the libraries, book stores, and homes of the land. Through the harassment of hearings, investigations, reports, and subpoenas government will hold a club over speech and over the press."

[United States v. Rumely, 345 U.S. 41 (1953)]”
― William O. Douglas

Just some food for thought!!!!

I'd love to see what type of phones you are all using.

Black 2014, 100% stock. Except for the tune the neighbor's kid did.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeaSSt View Post
With all the targeted advertising it's painfully obvious my iPhone and/or Apple Watch is listening to me. I get ads for all my random conversations but nothing I've searched for.

---

2015 SS Perfect Blue M6 roof, spare
Born: 04/16/2015 #2961 of 3168 for 2015, 1 of 273 PBM SS's ever produced, 1 of 77 in with M6, #42 of 44 as optioned
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeaSSt View Post
Smartphones. All of them.

2016 Chevy SS 6MT HW
1971 240z 5MT
2015 BMW i3 (wife's Car)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigelspence View Post
As an IT person, I have told people for years to that if you can say a word and the device responds, then by design its listening all the time. No thanks, I will not have any of those in my house.

As far as OnStar goes, I have had that for years and the safety aspects to me outweigh the other concerns. One funny story though... years ago I had an Oldsmobile Bravada with OnStar. I was parked in a parking lot eating lunch between client visits. I guess my straw on my cup somehow hit the Red emergency button that was on the bottom of the rearview mirror and I didn't notice. So there I was eating by myself and of course not talking but I am sure making other noises. Suddenly a loud voice shouts out "Mr. Spencer we can hear you are you OK? We have emergency services in route your location!" I about crapped my pants because it took me a second to realize it was the OnStar operator and not God or someone else!

Needless to say my biggest injury was embarrassment. Then hurriedly telling the OnStar folks to cancel calling the ambulance.
Anyone Concerned of being tracked or simply fed-up with Google ads?
Turn OFF "LOCATION" on your phone SETTINGS unless you need it .. like maps/Waze, to find a place, local weather, find MY phone, find MY kids, find MY dog, etc ...

OnStar? What's that?

We have a never ending argument .. no phone in the bedroom ...
IT CAN HEAR US !!! It can talk to us !!! It can see us!!!
I'm off-balance, paranoid, crazy, etc., etc. .. yeah, yeah, yeah ...
OK, I'll give her all that, still no phone in bedroom .. still, she sneaks it in on occasion ...

But I do have 12+ cams with video/sound/motion around property plus dash cams .. I call it intruder alert system ...

And I'm considering one of these .. roaming CAM ...

0 cam cat.jpg

'14 SS Heron White "Glinda" 99.99% OEM
Fastest OEM SS year model .....

Last edited by SoCA-SS; 06-18-2019 at 11:12 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:25 AM

Turning off location won't help.

Google collects Android users’ locations even when location services are disabled
ESindon likes this.

2015 | Silver Ice | Auto | No Roof | No Factory Spare
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffield Steve View Post

Its a lesser degree of invasion ...

If LOCATION is ON, you get welcome and ads for nearby biz's and biz you visit .. and probably what you see in a store ...

If OFF, they only track phone ID location & movement per cell towers, for .. such as:

“In January of this year, we (Google) began looking into using Cell ID codes as an additional signal to further improve the speed and performance of message delivery,” the Google spokesperson said in an email. “However, we never incorporated Cell ID into our network sync system, so that data was immediately discarded, and we updated it to no longer request Cell ID.”
~ November 21, 2017

'14 SS Heron White "Glinda" 99.99% OEM
Fastest OEM SS year model .....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page