Driveway design help? Civil engineers or architects C'mon in - Chevy SS Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Question Driveway design help? Civil engineers or architects C'mon in

Comments or suggestions on dimensions for off street parking / turnaround are welcome and appreciated.
Our new home is on a busy corner. Would like to have a turnaround somewhere between driveway and porch to be able to pull into driveway head-in, turnaround and back into garage so we can exit forward to the street without having to back onto a busy street. This turnaround could also serve as off-street parking for times when there's no street parking available for visitors.

I'm challenged to determine how close to house I may place the parking / turnaround pad. I'm figuring pad should be ~19' wide for two cars, wife may reduce it down to one car width. Basis for depth of pad is 195" car length (SS). Yes, it's a lot of concrete but it's less yard to mow.

Anyone able to help me figure out minimum distance from house I must place this pad to be able to back into either side of garage? I guesstimated 10', but not sure. Hope I described this well enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Driveway.JPG (214.4 KB, 44 views)

it's socially unacceptable to be ahead of your time.
The White Lion: 2015 Heron White, sunroof, spare, #73 of 277 as configured, #827 of 3,168 built
No mods: 100% Houston Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 12:43 PM

How far does your property go to the right of your garage?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmer1 View Post
How far does your property go to the right of your garage?
10 feet. We're on a corner, we moved our driveway to the front of the house, it used to be on the side. To the right is a street that can get very busy, we're trying to stay away from there. There's also a fire hydrant, indicated by small circle with slash at bottom right. Driveway curve is to preserve a large tree that's indicated on the drawing, and the fire hydrant, too.

The White Lion: 2015 Heron White, sunroof, spare, #73 of 277 as configured, #827 of 3,168 built

Last edited by iratollah; 06-09-2019 at 03:03 PM.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Garage door on back of garage as well, curved driveway to the other street. In or out from either direction, no reverse necessary.
Dsmer1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Perfect Blue Metallic, 6M, Roto-Fab CAI, fuse relay, radiator and engine covers, ClearShield Pro, Solo Performance axle back exhaust, Maverick Man strut tower caps, billet SS abs cover, BMR components, MGW short throw shifter, LIVERNOIS MOTORSPORTS 2R MAXX cam, Powerstorm heads, ported throttle body/intake, billet rocker bases ARH long tubes with catted x, 496RWHP

#2564 of 3168 for 2015, 1 of 273 PBM SS's ever produced, 1 of 77 in PBM with Tremec TR6060, #38 of 44 PBM as optioned
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15SuperSport View Post
Garage door on back of garage as well, curved driveway to the other street. In or out from either direction, no reverse necessary.
Thank you, it's a good idea but...
We had to get our driveway off the street to the right, ingress/egress became challenging during certain times of day. Circular driveway would become a turnaround for merciless soccer moms in big SUVs.
Also, there's house behind the garage and a swimming pool behind that.

I've sort of got it figured, just not sure on how much distance from front of structure I need to do the V turn to back into garage. I could do some tests in the parking garage here, but thought a forum member may have keener insight.
15SuperSport likes this.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I didn't figure my post to be very realistic, but it sounded great in my mind. If I'm looking at the schematic correctly it would appear that the turnaround will be on the left side of the garage as you face it. The truck driver in me is thinking that it would be easier to pull into the garage facing forward when you return home, and back into the turnaround when leaving. This way you are backing up "sight side" rather than blind side. Even in my cars I feel more comfortable reversing to my left, with both the side view mirror and any obstacles right next to me, allowing me to turn a much tighter radius. I'm sorry I can't really offer any help as far as the distance needed, but think your test idea is the most realistic approach. Sometimes calculations and comfort levels are two completely different things...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Perfect Blue Metallic, 6M, Roto-Fab CAI, fuse relay, radiator and engine covers, ClearShield Pro, Solo Performance axle back exhaust, Maverick Man strut tower caps, billet SS abs cover, BMR components, MGW short throw shifter, LIVERNOIS MOTORSPORTS 2R MAXX cam, Powerstorm heads, ported throttle body/intake, billet rocker bases ARH long tubes with catted x, 496RWHP

#2564 of 3168 for 2015, 1 of 273 PBM SS's ever produced, 1 of 77 in PBM with Tremec TR6060, #38 of 44 PBM as optioned

Last edited by 15SuperSport; 06-09-2019 at 04:46 PM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:01 PM

Garage
https://www.google.com/search?q=car+...U0M8qozWrjANM:

Just a idea
SoCA-SS likes this.

2017 RH2 manual no spare no sunroof 2635 of 4008 number 4 of 5
2017 SSB auto spare no sunroof 3347 of 4008 number 16 of 18
2019 Silverado HC 6.2 NHT
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:53 PM

1- forget width of car with doors closed. DOORS OPEN so you can get in/out.

2- I learned from my neighbors' mistakes ... bigger is better. It will save you from saying "I shoulda made it wider ..."

3- I made my driveway cut way bigger too.
Clutchfoot likes this.

2017 SIM ROOFLESS SPARE AUTO UNSULLIED
2,701st of 4,008 built 2-5-2017
12th of 17 built as configured

2014 SIM ROOFLESS - Traded
2,703rd customer car built
1 of 73 ROOFLESS SIM customer built cars
1 of 78 total ROOFLESS SIM in US when including the 5 roofless SIM GM internal cars sold as used.
1 of the 78 is confirmed dead and unrecoverable.

I don't do lazy or stupid.
Proudly politically incorrect.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0311 View Post
Like THIS!!!!

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15SuperSport View Post
The truck driver in me is thinking that it would be easier to pull into the garage facing forward when you return home, and back into the turnaround when leaving. This way you are backing up "sight side" rather than blind side.
Good suggestion, hadn't looked at it his way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0311 View Post
It's only money. Our good ideas, just a couple of hundred bux here, a thousand or two there... are pushing our move-in costs into the $trato$phere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB750 View Post
1- forget width of car with doors closed. DOORS OPEN so you can get in/out.
Oh yes, totally considered width to allow loading/unloading, and space in front to walk to connector sidewalk for front walk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page