Sellers regret starting to set in. - Chevy SS Forum
 59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sellers regret starting to set in.

So I was one of the few lucky ones to get a SS with the 20 percent off tag, unfortunately I was also one of the ones that had to wait seven months to buy it because of the seatbelt recall. I loved my car. Took it all up and down the east coast. PA to FL. PA to NY... PA to MD and PA to SC several times.

Then as I grew different things became more important to me... owning a house, traveling abroad, retiring early, and settling down and maybe having kids one day. So I got my passport, started looking for a house and proposed to my girlfriend. The one thing in my life that I was least attached too and would yield me a lot more money aka a lot more freedom to do the things that became important to me was my SS. So I emotionally I felt ready to let it go, spite my fathers advice to just keep it and start making all these moves after I paid it off.

Most days I still good about my decision. But, and this may seem silly to some here who are older and have lived more life (Iím 32), some days I miss it. A lot. Some days I spend hours daydreaming maybe ten years from now Iíll find a low mileage, unmodded one and buy it.

I donít know. At this point Iím rambling.

Any fellow older SS lovers here that can give me some mental and emotional guidance? Anyone ever make compromising decisions like this to put their time and money towards something else? Any G8 owners here that missed the chance to buy new back in 08-09 but a decade later found clean low mileage ones... this will give me some inspiration that Iíll find a SS worthy of buying in ten years. Or heck. Maybe ten years from now Iíll be convinced to buy a Mustang... love the Coyote motor so much but I just canít do a coupe.

Anyway. Just rambling and looking for advice and stories of men whoíve been through what I am now.
a6d9cmro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:48 PM

SEVEN months? I got caught by that...Early July to Oct 23rd. Seemed like a year, but surely not seven months.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 36thEVACVet View Post
SEVEN months? I got caught by that...Early July to Oct 23rd. Seemed like a year, but surely not seven months.
April 1 to October 1.

I still have the text from the salesman telling me to hurry up and get down to the dealership because he can finally sell it to me, and other people were interested.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:16 PM

Garage
Based on some of the garage queens I've seen around here I doubt you'll have much trouble finding a relatively low mileage ride when the time comes; though that may vary on the color of unicorn you're looking for. Mine I drive to work and shuttle kids around daily. My 10 yr old already has his eyes on it but his mother will have nothing for it. I made the mistake of telling him I'd match whatever money he comes up with when the time comes. He's already socked away $600... I may be in trouble. That said, when I was in a similar scenario about the same age, I traded in my 9 month old 2006 G35 coupe for a 07 Tundra and regretted it for the next 11 years, but it was what my family needed. My advice is to try to find a compromise you can live with, but also keep that SS in your rear view!
Wathavidun, a6d9cmro and shoress like this.

2017 Chevy SS - HW - Stick Hole Blowie-Ma-Tron

#20 of 38 of 13,401
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:34 PM

Remember that there were 10 times more SS's made than G8 GXPs and you can still find those around in good shape 10 years later.
I'm in a similar boat, but I bought mine after I had just got married and now it's a great baby hauler that my wife enjoys driving.

Nothing will make buying another SS easier than your fiance'/wife giving her blessing.
Wathavidun likes this.

2018 M6 Mazda3 GT Hatch
Zoom-Zoom DD

2015 A6 SS w/:
Holden Bits|Warranty-Friendly Trinkets
Baby Chariot

2006 M6 GTO w/:
|Vararam|Ported TB/Intake|Kooks LTs|Magnaflow 2.5"|Pedders XA Supercars|Hotchkis Sways|4P CTS-V|LT1-S Twin|Billet Pro|G8 GT 19s|HINSON E&T Mounts|Whiteline, SuperPro, and Pedders Bushings|
Dad-mobile. My take on a "1LE" GTO

1997 Grand Prix GT w/:
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrule View Post
April 1 to October 1.

I still have the text from the salesman telling me to hurry up and get down to the dealership because he can finally sell it to me, and other people were interested.
I am guessing you ordered your car April 1st?...the seat belt stop sale was a July 7th announcement. My car was on the train to the dealer that day. I made the deal a few hours before the stop sale.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:52 PM

I quickly regretted trading my '14 when my '17 arrived. Shoulda just kept it.

When I get my CT6 Blackwing (pending 2020+ build) I'm keeping the SS. 2 "Sunday rides" and the '15 SRX "beater".

2017 SIM ROOFLESS SPARE AUTO UNSULLIED
2,701st of 4,008 built 2-5-2017
12th of 17 built as configured

2014 SIM ROOFLESS - Traded
2,703rd customer car built
1 of 73 ROOFLESS SIM customer built cars
1 of 78 total ROOFLESS SIM in US when including the 5 roofless SIM GM internal cars sold as used.
1 of the 78 is confirmed dead and unrecoverable.

I don't do lazy or stupid.
Proudly politically incorrect.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:08 PM

I regret selling my bone stock '15. I still have a pretty well modded 14 but **** the stock SS was a tremendous car and I regret getting rid of it
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 04:02 AM

This is just my personal take so I am not trying to tell anyone what to do: I have always been extremely fiscally conservative so my first car was a 1956 Chevrolet 210 that my sister and her husband had sitting in their driveway for two years without using it. She had bought it from my dad who bought it new. This was 1977 by the way and I paid one dollar for it. I drove the piss out of that thing all through high school and in 1980 I bought a Chevy Monza four cylinder. I traded that for an 83 Chevrolet S-10 that my son owns now.

Long story /short I have regrets about a few Snowmobiles and motorcycles that I wish I would have kept because they were benchmark models.

As for vehicles I let family needs make me buy a Suburban and farm needs lead me to a 1974 C-30 one ton flat bed with a fifth wheel and a hoist that I might actually be in love with. I never allowed myself to spend any money for myself since I got married until I bought my 2017 SS.

Bottom line: I think long and hard before I buy anything and am committed to keeping it until death do us part. I will never willingly part with my SS. It is everything I have ever dreamed about in a car. The perfect package to fit my personality. I just started driving it again after a few months storage and it still feels like going on a dream date all over again.

Sorry for all the mushy emotion. I am sure used ones will be available for a long time but they just won't be the one that got away.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 06:45 AM

Garage
You are only alive once and a long time dead so just go and get yourself another one why you still can, we don't make them anymore here in australia and if you have the money and get a good deal on one jump at it and enjoy yourself like everyone on here is ........
cyp, peterhor, speedrye and 3 others like this.

Last edited by aussie vf 2; 04-04-2019 at 06:47 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in