First Ding--Share yours - Chevy SS Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

First Ding--Share yours

Don't you hate that first ding?!?!?!?!!?

Took a rock to the windshield yesterday. Heard that familiar sickening sound and now have a star the size of a quarter in front of the passenger seat.

Now I gotta call the fix it guy and hope he can get it to close up. Didn't need to spend that $200.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 02:54 PM

The worse one yet is some thoughtless individual throwing their door into mine leaving a baseball size dent and taking a chunk out of the door handle. $290 to repair it all.
Esoteric likes this.

DESSKO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 PBM w/ Sunroof
2010 Xterra Pro 4X4
Sold 2004 WRX for SS
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 04:25 PM

Garage
None yet but I can guarantee it will will come from inside my own garage when my wife opens her door into my car
Beachrider likes this.

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow

2015 SS, M6, SLIHRM. No roof, no spare. #1295, 5 of 7
LSA Blower, 2.5" upper pulley, American Racing Headers w/cats, tuned by Zippy. 617hp/622tq

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 04:27 PM

Garage
I'm rather embarrassed to tell my story.
I had just finished putting the snowblower on the front of our new and larger tractor last fall. While attempting to park the tractor, which requires backing up in the stall next to the SS and then turning at a right angle, I was watching behind me when I happen to look at the front end. With the snowblower attached, the front end swings much wider and it was swinging far too close to the car. In my panic to stop, my brain kicked in to the operation of our old tractor, which had a manual transmission - this new one is hydrostatic.
Well, you can just visualize what happen. In my panic to get things stopped, my brain was telling my foot to mash the brake, but instead I landed on the hydrostatic forward pedal and BAM!! I pushed that snowblower into the passenger side of the SS across both doors.

I'm certain the hit could be heard inside the house. I KNOW the following outburst of cussing from me was because not one soul came to the door to see what had happen in the garage.

Since the car had just been put away for the winter but not covered yet, it made me insane and sick for a couple days every time I walked by the car until I got it covered.

I talked with the body man at the dealership and he told me they'd have to repaint both doors at a cost of $2,000. (That didn't help my anger any.) So I covered it and left it for the winter, hoping "out of sight, out of mind" would calm me down - which did.

This spring when I got it out, I took it to another guy we use who does really nice work and he told me he could fix things for far less than what I'd been quoted. I'm hoping he'll be able to get at it this week because I hate seeing it. (At least it's on the passenger side, which I don't see too often.)
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 05:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannon View Post
None yet but I can guarantee it will will come from inside my own garage when my wife opens her door into my car
This my exact nightmare! I can just picture her opening the back door of her SUV and propping the back door open with her butt to get something out and bam! Worst part is I'll just get the "I didn't mean to do it" excuse!

I just park as close as possible to the right side of the garage and pray.
swarm, Kannon and Beachrider like this.

2015 Mystic Green A6 with spare and sunroof delivered 4/24/15. #12 of 26 as optioned.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 05:44 PM

To avoid the door dings I have a set of door shox. I really don't trust the lady who parks next to me in the apartment parking garage.

Here is a pic of the product on a random car
Beachrider likes this.

Current:
'14 PBM SS w/sunroof & spare #361 of 848
Born: Oct 10, 2013, #1348 of 3502

Past:
'11 SS Camaro Convertible
'10 RS Camaro
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 05:59 PM

Garage
Mine is embarrassing as well. Although I have curb rashed the right front wheel and the wife has as well, I will eventually replace the wheel, but, my ding to the body came when I was backing the car into our 1 car garage that we have in our complex, my DJ equipment is stored there as well, so it is pretty tight. I knew that I was close to one piece of it but not how close and I couldn't see it in the rear camera or rear view mirror as it was about bumper height. When I did stop I went around to see that had made a 1" scratch in the bumper. Now, I hate getting bumpers painted because no one does it right. 5 or 6 years from now it will look different than the rest of the car, and also no one puts the proper amount of flex agent in it either. So, I touched it up. I would rather live with that than the other.

Oh, since then we've also scraped the bottom of the front bumper a few times and I have touched those up as well, but, those are not so visible.

Previous vehicles:
2003 Silverado(SOLD 12/2019)
1991 454SS(stolen)
2002 Infiniti Q45
1988 Mazda RX7-Anniversary Edition
1986 Mazda RX7 Sport(race car)
1983 Mazda GLC(race car)
1973 Mazda RX2(race car)
1981 Mazda GSL(bought new)
2007 Cadillac STS-V
1999 Cadille Seville STS
1995 Cadillac Eldorado
1990 Cadillac Eldorado
2002 TransAm Firehawk
1977 TransAm - Black and Gold Bandit Ed.
...that's far enough
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 06:47 PM

Someone broke my window out and stold my new phone s6 edge and my wallet scratched the paint on the door, glass cut the seat and the inside portion of the door. I had everything repaired deductible was 250 the total damage was 4,100 I had to get a new seat and new interior on the inside of the door from scratches from glass damage.. never leave anything in your car
15SuperSport likes this.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 07:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surefire346 View Post
Someone broke my window out and stold my new phone s6 edge and my wallet scratched the paint on the door, glass cut the seat and the inside portion of the door. I had everything repaired deductible was 250 the total damage was 4,100 I had to get a new seat and new interior on the inside of the door from scratches from glass damage.. never leave anything in your car

Wow
ASE Master likes this.

//Nick

2014 - PBM, Roof, Auto, #131 of 3,527, 44 of 809, Born: 08/18/2013
2015 - HW, M6, Spare, #1,395 of 3,168, 2 of 12, Born: 01/29/2015
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 08:27 PM

Where do I begin?! I had 3 at the time of delivery; unfortunately I didn't notice it until the next day when I was claying the car since I took delivery after dusk. Two on the hood (extremely minor) and one on the A-pillar. I had the two on the hood taken care of but the A-pillar couldn't be fixed unless you drilled into it and broke the paint seal. Only the extreme anal retentive individual, like ourselves, would/will notice. Still bothers me and the dealer was only mildly helpful. Fast forward 2 weeks and I took a chip to the windshield in which I had it completely replaced. Long story short, the first "true" ding appears to be on the hood. Noticed a small blemish from a rock coming up on the hood and hitting the paint. Just past the Xpel film... ah well, it was meant to be driven and

2015 Perfect Blue SS (SOLD) - M6, Sunroof, Spare. Roto-Fab CAI, Corsa cat-back, Xpel Ultimate, 50% Front/35% Rear Tint, MGW Shifter with ZL1 bits, Hard Wired Passport 9500ix, Skip-Shift Eliminator. Built 11/24/14, #557 of 3168, 1 of 273 PBM, 1 of 77 PBM with a manual, #10 of 44 as optioned, received 02/20/15.
2009 Pontiac G8 GT (sold) - Stryker Blue, tune and exhaust.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page