16 year old son and me picked up SS and drive it home 960 miles in 1 day!!! - Chevy SS Forum
 56Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Unread 08-22-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
16 year old son and me picked up SS and drive it home 960 miles in 1 day!!!

Bought my “new to me” 2017 HW 6MT from Terryville Chevrolet outside Hartford Connecticut. (Same dealer as The Doug DeMuro’s reviewed SS). Left Chicago at 6 am (after waking up at 3:30). Flew to Hartford and Lyfted to the dealership. Arrived at 11 and took possession of her.

Left shortly after 11:30 and Waze said 13 1/2 hours back home!!!!! 2 fill ups (3 total tanks) later and 23 mpg average we made it back home at 1 am. Loooooong day but so totally worth it. She is actually a VERY GOOD long distance driver. No problem getting comfortable for 4 hour plus stints.

Letting a 16 year old help you drive 960 miles is a great father/son experience. Thankfully he knew how to drive a manual. (Ever since he was able to walk, I’ve told him that everyone needs to learn to drive manual). We also have a manual 2014 Camaro which he learned on. I told him the night before we left that I bought an SS and asked if he wanted to come. Before I could finish he was grinning ear to ear. The first time we fired it up in sport mode and heard the crackle, we both just giggled and had that OMG look on our faces. It was everything I had dreamed it would be.

I took the first stint for a few hours as he was begging to drive. So we switched and when he hit that start button, I could see I just made him the happiest kid alive. I wish it was a fairytale start but. Nope. Lurch lurch. Stall!!!! The clutch is very springy and surprised him. But he restarted and off we went. Although riding the clutch a little to long to compensate for his first attempt. But as the miles added up, he got the hang of it. I had to force him out of the driver seat after dinner. Otherwise the kid would have driven the rest of the way home without any rest.

He loves that car. Whenever he can he begs to drive it instead of the Camaro. Obviously the V6 is not the same as a LS3. I’ve let him take it to school once and now I’m positive he had the coolest car in the parking lot. I want to believe he drove it like a grandma would, but I guarantee I lost a little thickness on the tires.

Long story short, If you got a teenage son, take him with you on a long distance road trip. You’ll both remember it for the rest of your lives!!!!!
jat63, z51vett, Pinetree and 30 others like this.

2017 HW 6MT No, No “Enthusiast Package”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Unread 08-23-2019, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsly14 View Post
Long story short, If you got a teenage son, take him with you on a long distance road trip. You’ll both remember it for the rest of your lives!!!!!
Congrats on your new car, drive it in good health! Glad to hear you're loving your new SS.
Sounds like you're doing a good job raising your son right. And couldn't agree more on the road trip with your kid.

When my daughter was 17 we drove 1380 miles to a competition for which she'd long trained. It was simply a terrific bonding experience. Taught her how to judge traffic, anticipate other drivers actions, look far ahead, and use her vision and radar detector to help us make good time. Two day drive each way. Over a decade later we still talk about the experience. Just the other day she mentioned how close we are, said a co-worker asked her why she cites her dad so often, she said it was because of the bonding we did on road trips travelling to her matches. Oh, and she's a great driver, very alert, safe, and fast. The one-on-one experience was totally different than if anyone else had ridden along, but with all her equipment no one else could have fit into the car.

Did a road trip with my son but it was well into his adulthood and while we had huge fun on challenging roads, the bonding wasn't on the same level. So YES! Those of you with teenagers should really consider a road trip with them. It's time well spent.

Sorry if this seems a thread hijack, intent is to bolster what you wrote about roadtripping with your youngun'.

it's socially unacceptable to be ahead of your time.
The White Lion: 2015 Heron White, sunroof, spare. two pedals, two paddles, #73 of 277 as configured, #827 of 3,168 built
No mods: 100% Houston Stock

Last edited by iratollah; 08-23-2019 at 11:47 AM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Unread 08-23-2019, 03:11 AM

Congratulations. Very refreshing / fun story to read about. A definite pick me up from some of the stories and or subjects coming across my feed as of late. Glad you got that chance to be with your son, one trip he will not soon forget. Makes for great stories for him to tell his buddies at school. I can feel the energy from when I was younger just reading about your experience.
Thanks so much for sharing.
z51vett, iratollah and wilkin4 like this.

2016 SIM M6 Spare and Roof

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Unread 08-23-2019, 09:24 AM

Garage
Huh, I've been keeping tabs on inventory at Terryville (also where I bought) and only have seen that SLIHR has been the only '16+ on their lot for the longest time. You got lucky!

2018 Red Quartz Tintcoat GMC Sierra 1500 Denali Ultimate
2016 Jungle Green Metallic SS - Sunroof, Spare, Stick - 1 of 13 *Traded 2/3/18*
2011 Radiant Silver Metallic CTS-V Wagon - Corsa Axleback, AirAid Intake *Traded 7/7/16*
2008 Panther Black Metallic G8 GT *Sold 6/11/14*
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Unread 08-23-2019, 12:49 PM

Congrats!

But I can't believe the Dealer didn't pick you up at the Airport and you had to take a Lyft!

T.C. Davis Racer & Sales Pro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Unread 08-23-2019, 01:13 PM

That's a great road trip story! You're braver than me, letting your son park it at school. My wife parks her little cruze hatchback in a public parking structure and barely a week goes by without a new door ding from careless adults, much less high school kids that are just barely starting to learn about being conscientious.

A manual V6 Camaro is still a lot of motor for a kid to enjoy. That V6 is probably faster than anything from my highschool parking lot back in the early 2000s. I survived my youth and most of college with a 120 horsepower beater Camry.
z51vett, ESindon and Brass like this.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
2017 Chevy SS
Nightfall Gray Metallic
6-Speed Manual/No Sunroof/Full-Size Spare

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Unread 08-23-2019, 01:38 PM

Great story to share, and good to know you're teaching your kids how to drive along with the bonding. I would describe this as good parenting.

Congrantz on your new ride...
z51vett and Clutchfoot like this.

Brass

2015 Chevy SS: Sliver/Auto/No Spare/Sunroof/ Tint/Black-out Gold Bowtie/SS Mats/Stock

2016 Lexus RX350 (wife)
2008 Acura TL (Traded)
2007 Jeep Compass Limited
2005 Jeep Grand/V8 (Traded)
1996 Nissan NX (Sold)
2001 Ford Expedition Sport (Traded)
1998 Ford Explorer 2dr sport (Traded)
1988 VW Quantum (passed on)
1987 Nissan Hard body Truck (Traded)
1984 300zx (Sold) just dumb
1978 Rally Sport (Sold) young & dumb
1969 Buick GS 400 (Sold) young & stupid!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Unread 08-23-2019, 02:26 PM

nice story
z51vett likes this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Unread 08-23-2019, 08:02 PM

Garage
Very nice! I too keep tabs on northeast dealers but when i took a ride out to a few months ago to look at that slrhm they have (way over priced for the condition, photos make it look good but whole different story in person) the sales guy said in a few months a white one was being traded in as the owner ordered a new corvette and i am guessing this was it.

2017 RH2 manual no spare no sunroof 2635 of 4008 number 4 of 5
2017 SSB auto spare no sunroof 3347 of 4008 number 16 of 18
2019 Silverado HC 6.2 NHT
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Unread 08-24-2019, 12:15 AM

Awesome experience, congrats on the car! I drove my SS to high school for two years and only a few people asked me about the car. It wasn’t until after the headers and Corsa exhaust when people would ask me why my Malibu sounded like a Corvette. It is surprising how many people still don’t know about these hidden gems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in