Speaking of the Livernois Tune - Chevy SS Forum
 47Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Unread 08-03-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I didn't want to jack Sean6293's Thread.

Why do you have to hook up a battery charger while installing the tune? Haven't heard that before; or at least I don't remember reading that before.

My other question is there anyone who has installed the Livernois Tune and come to regret it? We always hear how spectacular it is, but never anything bad. I'm asking because I'm seriously considering getting the 93 Aggressive Tune unless someone can talk me out of it. Thanks for any answers.

2017 PBM, Auto Trans, Sunroof & Spare, All Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Unread 08-03-2019, 11:08 AM

To tune the car you need the ignition to be fully on. This has a fairly high current draw.

If the battery voltage drops below a certain level during the actual tuning, the tune can fail mid-install. This can brick your computer. (ECM)
copacetic1, KWBaraka and DAC SS like this.

2015 | Silver Ice | Auto | No Roof | No Factory Spare

Last edited by Sheffield Steve; 08-03-2019 at 11:52 AM.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Unread 08-03-2019, 11:24 AM

I have tuned my car without having it hooked up to a charger, you just need to be sure the battery is fully charged before starting loading a tune. If your car is truly a daily driver your battery should be OK.

I used HPTuners to load my tune, and it loads in less than 4 mins, I think the Livernois tune may take longer, not sure.

I say go for it, you will love it!!!!

Miami,FL In a van down by the river
2014 Chevrolet SS
Red, sunroof, spare
#3,273 of 3,527 built
#272 of 291

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Unread 08-03-2019, 11:26 AM

You also need to make sure the ignition is in the full on position too. Otherwise it can time out and brick your ECU too.
wilkin4 and antwerpflash like this.

2015 | Silver Ice | Auto | No Roof | No Factory Spare
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Unread 08-03-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the battery info guys. Still curious to know if anyone has regretted doing the Tune, and if so, why? Thanks.

post #6 of 58 (permalink) Unread 08-03-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnoff67 View Post
Thanks for the battery info guys. Still curious to know if anyone has regretted doing the Tune, and if so, why? Thanks.
Livernois, as a matter of course, has their sh*t together.

If anyone has had regrets regarding their tunes, it would certainly be because they somehow expected more than what a tune ordinarily provides, not because the tune was a bad product.

KW
DAC SS, iratollah, 1Evil55 and 1 others like this.

2014 Red Hot 'SS'......TSP 429ci LS3 w/DW 102mm TB, FAST Ported Intake, AFR Mongoose Heads, 248/264 LLSR cam, SW 1 7/8" LT Headers & 3" Exhaust, Borla Touring, 3.70 gears, 3200 Yank TC

1995 Impala SS.........LS3 w/Custom CAI, V-max 90mm TB, Texas Speed 260 PRC Heads, Lingenfelter GT1-1 cam, Headman 1 7/8" Longtube headers, 2 1/2" cat-back, 3200 Circle-D TC, 3.73

1996 Impala SS.........LLSR 398ci LT4
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Unread 08-03-2019, 11:59 AM

Garage
No regrets on the Livernois Tune, had it on my 2014 before I went LSA. That said they own you once you install their tune. Trying to remove it with their hardware I not only bricked my ECM I bricked their tuner rendering it useless .... they did nothing to support resolution.
iratollah and 16PB6MT like this.

Drives:

2004 GTO **SOLD**= PBM M6
2009 G8 **SOLD**=MSM, MGM, and SRM GXP's
2014 SIM SS w/roof, Rotofab, Corsa, Xpel, VMAX TBI, CTS-V Brembo calipers & wheels, LSA by MJD w/600+ rwhp. 3320th built, # 151 of 164.
2016 SSB M6 w/roof no spare, lives in the desert, 1 of 35
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Unread 08-03-2019, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz28 View Post
No regrets on the Livernois Tune, had it on my 2014 before I went LSA. That said they own you once you install their tune. Trying to remove it with their hardware I not only bricked my ECM I bricked their tuner rendering it useless .... they did nothing to support resolution.
Well, that's not good. Have to say I'm a bit surprised to hear that. Glad I started this Thread. Thank you for the input.
iratollah likes this.

post #9 of 58 (permalink) Unread 08-03-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWBaraka View Post
Quote:
Livernois, as a matter of course, has their sh*t together.

If anyone has had regrets regarding their tunes, it would certainly be because they somehow expected more than what a tune ordinarily provides, not because the tune was a bad product.

KW
I was always under the impression they have their stuff together. And I'm well aware of what the Tune will do improvement-wise. Again, what I really want to know is if people have come to regret getting the Tune for whatever reason-mechanical or otherwise.

post #10 of 58 (permalink) Unread 08-03-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I was always under the impression they have their stuff together. And I'm well aware of what the Tune will do improvement-wise. Again, what I really want to know is if people have come to regret getting the Tune for whatever reason-mechanical or otherwise.
There's a thread on here somewhere in which a forum member aluded to a highly unsatisfying experience with them but wouldn't go into detail. Perhaps that was some degree of decency not airing dirty laundry in public, perhaps it was what Steve said about incongruent expectations. IDK.

For the number of tunes members have had installed it seems Livernois may have the highest satisfaction ratio. It can't be stated enough that owners with failed tunes, blowers, cams, etc. are won't to post here about their tsoris. Doubtless much of the reluctance with helping others learn from the failure is not wanting to deal with the inevitable flaming, I-told-you-soes, and gloating you-shoulda posts.

If money were no object I may have shipped a car to them. What kept me away was I didn't feel a remote tune would ever be as satisfying as one from someone who was sitting in my car.
dz28 likes this.

it's socially unacceptable to be ahead of your time.
The White Lion: 2015 Heron White, sunroof, spare, #73 of 277 as configured, #827 of 3,168 built
No mods: 100% Houston Stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in