Dealer "test" drove the SS for 100+ miles to test if a rattle is fixed?! - Page 6 - Chevy SS Forum
 131Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvmoe75 View Post
^^^^ I'm with ya @willy92. Do you really think a tech is going to risk his job screwing around with someone's vehicle?
Heck yes I do! Do Boy Scout leaders risk anything by abusing their scouts? Priests their alter boys. gynecologists their gymnastics patients? Do you read the paper or watch the news? Do you understand that BAD judgement is “a thing” and really exists. Risking a dealership tech job?...yep that isn’t stoping some guys.

You have that rule at your shop BECAUSE IT HAS HAPPENED, and the risk of it happening again exists.
wilkin4, dDUBb and V8Rumble like this.

Last edited by 36thEVACVet; 07-16-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:22 PM

Garage
Well, here goes another one of my stories:

On four occasions, I have crashed a car that I was road testing;

First one in 1976, it was a legitimate road test, I hit a car that took my right of way. We fixed both cars, minor damage to both.

Second one in '78, I was backing a car off my rack and the throttle went to the floor! I crashed into the service drive pillar with both feet on the brakes! It still hit pretty hard. The customer had declined some work that would have prevented that.

Third one in '82 I had just finished a PDI and test drove the car on my loop of about 5 miles. It was raining and I was on my way back, when a woman driving a Nissan 310 made a left turn in front of me. That car should have been totaled, but they fixed it and sold it as a demo.

Fouth one in '88 I was on a legitimate road test that the manager told me to do, before we call the customer to pick their car, a woman ran a stop sign and hit me on the right rear and spun me around. I actually saw she wasn't looking and tried to accelerate out of her way, I almost made it.

These are just for me! I could tell stories well into the night about others in our shops!

So,...I know that things can happen, and you do risk something happening to your car when you take it in. This is why I go through the trouble that I do to try to avoid a lengthy road test in the first place. Don't do anything stupid with someones car. Get owners permission, in writing, before any lengthy road tests, for me or the tech.
CB750, stvmoe75, rjcalif and 6 others like this.

Previous vehicles:
2015 Cadillac SRX Premium(current wifes car)
2003 Silverado(SOLD 12/2019)
1991 454SS(stolen)
2002 Infiniti Q45(traded in on SS)
1988 Mazda RX7-Anniversary Edition
1986 Mazda RX7 Sport(race car)
1983 Mazda GLC(race car)
1973 Mazda RX2(race car)
1981 Mazda GSL(bought new)
2007 Cadillac STS-V
1999 Cadille Seville STS
1995 Cadillac Eldorado
1990 Cadillac Eldorado
2002 TransAm Firehawk
1977 TransAm - Black and Gold Bandit Ed.
...that's far enough

Last edited by willy92; 07-16-2019 at 06:31 PM. Reason: sp
post #53 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 36thEVACVet View Post
Heck yes I do? Do Boy Scout leaders risk anything by abusing their scouts? Priests their alter boys. gynecologists their gymnastics patients? Do you read the paper or watch the news? Do you understand that BAD judgement is ďa thingĒ and really exists. Risking a dealership tech job?...yep that isnít stoping some guys.

You have that rule at your shop BECAUSE IT HAS HAPPENED, and the risk of it happening again exists.
It may have happened in the past, but I'm telling you at the dealer group that I worked for having 35 franchises, you'll only get to do it ONCE! Then good luck finding a job at any of the other dealers in a 60 mile radius. I'd be far more nervous letting some small shop take my car for a test drive where they don't have the rules most dealerships in our area have.

And to piggy-back on what @willy92 said, yes, I've seen accidents happen in the shop and on our service drive done by an employee, it happens. But I am 99 and 33/100% sure our techs won't be beating or abusing a customers vehicle. If they do and get caught, the next truck going out the door is hauling that person and their toolbox. I've seen techs let go for something as simple as chirping tires on a shop floor. Zero tolerance is alive and well here.
z51vett, CB750 and SilverSport like this.

post #54 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:59 PM
Banned

When you work in the industry, you always know a few people like that.

Even if we assume the tech drove the car normally and wasn't doing burnouts .. 110 miles is way excessive to road test a rattle, that takes a lot longer when youre not driving at speed on the freeway.

Any good tech knows a bumpy road to drive down to find rattles. And I would have moment where a customer would hear a noise only under certain conditions, sometimes they never came up - if I am unable to verify within 15-30 minutes of driving I am probably just taking your car for a joy ride.

The old trick was to remove the speedometer wire / cable so it didn't put any miles on the car.
SS_Scott likes this.
post #55 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Let's look again at what the poster said:

Almost fully gassed.... means it could be anywhere between 3/4 and F showing on the gauge.
Picking it up with a quarter tank left.... could also mean the needle was close to 1/4 showing on the gauge put still above.

Now consider this, if the test drives were all done in city traffic, it would be easy to see the gas gauge move that much driving 110 miles. We all know how thirsty our cars can be in city driving. I'm willing to bet the most gas that was used was 8 gallons and if it was driven 110 miles, that puts the mpg at 13.75, which is right in the normal range. I stand by my position and really doubt the customer's car was abused.
You can stand by your assumptions, but that doesn't make your opinion more correct. "Almost fully gassed" could very easily mean he filled up 14 miles before the dealership, or 3, or 27,...I don't know what he means. At the end of the day I think we agree that his car is fine, but I think it's more than a negligible amount of miles and I wouldn't like it.

'16 SIM #1,043 #2 of 7 w/o sunroof, w/spare and 6M

-Jon
post #56 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:21 AM

Garage
I've done thousands of test drives and even some pretty long ones. Some at 100 plus (cop cars), some long ones to check the A/C when I was done . If you ask me (no one ever does but that's beside the point)no matter how you slice it, rattle, overheating, anything really, 100 is A LOT of miles. The only way I would say it's not fishy is if it was multiple test drives. I'm hoping for the OP's sake, it was multiple drives because they had a hard time fixing it.

Even me, working by the hour, for the government, would feel guilty about that drive. I have had co workers disappear for hours though, probably running errands and crap. Lazy bastards....

Sent from the butt crack of California
2016 white, auto V-8 Malibu. All stock except for catch can and high performance muffler bearings.
post #57 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbawden View Post
You can stand by your assumptions, but that doesn't make your opinion more correct. "Almost fully gassed" could very easily mean he filled up 14 miles before the dealership, or 3, or 27,...I don't know what he means. At the end of the day I think we agree that his car is fine, but I think it's more than a negligible amount of miles and I wouldn't like it.
It really surprises me how some on here assume the worst out of the dealerships, but then put full faith in some shade tree backyard mechanic.
Again - what did the OP say:
Quote:
Long story short - the car is fixed. Except....: when I picked it up, I noticed that it was driven for about 110 miles since I dropped it off.
I made a point to my service tech, who said it took forever to find where the rattle was coming from and the extra driving was needed to insure all was fixed. He said the car needed to be driven a significant amount after every fix they did, so they can figure out the issue.
If this mechanic spent this much time trying to fix this guy's car, he certainly did a fair share of it on his own dime because he lost his *ss on this job. My take is this dealership went above and beyond trying to make sure this car was fixed, and you guys now complain about a few miles being put on the car. Unbelievable! If they had just done the 'round the block' check, you'd then be complaining how many times you had to bring it back and that this dealer is worthless and can't fix anything.

There's no winning with some people and the 'ol saying holds true in this business, "Let no good deed go unpunished."
CB750, willy92 and Pinetree like this.
post #58 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:33 PM

Garage
First off I too would be curious to know what was done to fix your rattle. I have a very annoying intermittent "plastic" rattle that does not seem to be the sunroof, headliner, or windshield and I've put my hands on the exposed dash parts while my son drove and nothing moves or stops the noise.

Secondly, I had another vehicle in for service for a hard to diagnose issue. We took it in three times and on third attempt, tech drove ~25miles and could not replicate, service manager called asking if I would approve the tech doing a more extensive road test. I approved and they logged just about 100 miles but found the problem, fixed it, and 19 years later it is still fixed. To me, asking for my approval was the big difference here.
z51vett, CB750, willy92 and 2 others like this.

Russ

2014 SIM A6 w/sunroof & inflator #137 of 164
<<--- see my Garage for details and mods
post #59 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
It really surprises me how some on here assume the worst out of the dealerships, but then put full faith in some shade tree backyard mechanic.
Again - what did the OP say:

If this mechanic spent this much time trying to fix this guy's car, he certainly did a fair share of it on his own dime because he lost his *ss on this job. My take is this dealership went above and beyond trying to make sure this car was fixed, and you guys now complain about a few miles being put on the car. Unbelievable! If they had just done the 'round the block' check, you'd then be complaining how many times you had to bring it back and that this dealer is worthless and can't fix anything.

There's no winning with some people and the 'ol saying holds true in this business, "Let no good deed go unpunished."

Are you reading what you are writing here? Where does the "shade tree mechanic" come into the picture? Did the OP say that? And what's to say that the mechanic was the one that took the OP's car for this extended ride? Couldn't someone else have grabbed the key/fob and taken it out? You make an awful rash assumption that someone is going to complain about a short test ride. And perhaps you can tell us what constitutes a test ride that's too long. 150 miles? 200 miles? 300 miles? 500 miles? Something tells me if it was your SS someone went racing around in you would feel a whole lot differently. I would pick my battle on this one if it were my SS and I'll bet I would win because there is simply no justification for this type of joyride. By the way, I worked in a couple of car dealerships for several years and I know what goes on in them.

Rick H.
post #60 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 05:27 PM

I would like to know if OnStar had any info that they could share in this case, and just what it was. Clearly OnStar keeps track of WOT and hard braking events, but can they supply info for a specific time frame such as when it was at the dealership? It would be nice for all of us to know if OnStar could really be of help in a situation like this.

What did they say, stantheman?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page