Delema, Automatic or Manual? - Chevy SS Forum
 88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Delema, Automatic or Manual?

I know this has been discussed before. I really want a Manual, but they are getting hard to find close to Savannah GA.
My Question is how Manny got a Manual and wish they got an Automatic or vice versa? I just Sold My 97 Viper GTS for a Fun daily driver. Im worried I'll settle for a Automatic and wish I had waited on a Manual to show up. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:02 AM

You're going to pay more and have less selection especially close by. That being said, I wouldn't have had the interest in this car were it an auto only. a good friend of mine had a modded G8GT and while it was brutally quick and would chirp second and third it was still missing something for me
jbawden, boomer99 and pottypants like this.
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatahed69 View Post
I know this has been discussed before. I really want a Manual, but they are getting hard to find close to Savannah GA.
My Question is how Manny got a Manual and wish they got an Automatic or vice versa? I just Sold My 97 Viper GTS for a Fun daily driver. Im worried I'll settle for a Automatic and wish I had waited on a Manual to show up. Thoughts?
When I drove both at the dealer a few years ago I found the clutch on the SS mushy ( frame of reference was compared to wife's M Roadster). It's a subjective assessment but one that pushed me to the auto.
Very happy with my decision. Make sure you drive the manual before you buy it as you may come to the same conclusion I reached.

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatahed69 View Post
I know this has been discussed before.
Just once or twice.
LAG and utotmo like this.

2016 PBM, 3 pedals, hole in roof, pristine rim in trunk
1965 289 A-code, convertible, toploader - in pieces
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome @tatahed69!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Martin
2014 SS, Heron White, A6, no mods, #3334 of MY2014
and 41 of 41 as built of the 534 HW. Born on Feb 6, 2014.
2016 Silverado 1500 LTZ CC Summit White.
Chevy SS Production & Sales Info for All Years can be found here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Direct link to spreadsheet here:

post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:57 AM

We have both. I recommend you go drive both.

I've driven manuals most of my life

My G8 GXP is a manual, my 16 SS is a manual, my wife's 17 SS is an auto

I don't mind the automatic. Honestly - I don't care that much for the stock clutch feel in the SS vs a stock GXP [and I have a katech unit in it now, which will be replaced as I don't really find it that proper as it is], so eventually I'd plan to put a different clutch in but at under 7k miles I'm not wasting the money on that.

The auto is just fine, and you can still have spirited driving without an issue. Yeah, the paddle or sport shift isn't the same but frankly it doesn't deserve the ragging it gets here, or the lesser resale.

So, back to my original statement - drive both and decide. Worth a few hours to do that if you find them on a lot for sale.
dz28 and Yoram like this.
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16PB6MT View Post
Just once or twice.
You are on the low end of estimates sir.

I have a 3 pedal Honda as my daily in one of the worst traffic areas and the world hasn't come to an end for me yet. Once you get used to it, I don't even think about it.
ESindon and Yoram like this.

'15 M6 Perfect Blue, Roof, Inflator. #20 of 21.
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:04 AM

Ironically, I wanted this car, but only as a manual in 2014. I was a manual or nothing kind of guy back then. Can't say i'm proud of it as it clouded my view of owner's as well. I would look in windows at car shows and dismiss cars that were automatics. However, once the 2015 SS's arrived and I test drove the manual and automatic, my world view changed. I still have 3 out of 4 manual cars in my fleet, as I love a good shifter and clutch, but I found the SS to have a fine shifter, but a really terrible clutch. 3 years later with an auto SS. With supercharged torque, the SS is my "gigantic, easy power everywhere car", a good fit for 4000 pounder IMO. Freeing up the right hand has done wonders for steering and braking control, no more heel toe needed to downshift makes for a much more even and controllable brake pedal. While its an auto, I use the paddle shifters much of the time as I like to downshift while braking and I also like to creep around in traffic leaving it in 2nd gear instead of it dropping to 1st which is just not needed with over 300ftlbs available just off idle. Ultimately, I don't think the transmission makes this car, but i'm sure it does for some. To me, I always wanted a SBC with that small block soundtrack, in a family friendly package and either manual or auto SS would fill that role.

So, my advice is to drive both and decide, but I can understand that is very difficult now that the car is out of production and they sold so few to begin with. Good luck.

2015 [email protected]
1 of "there are many like it, but this one is mine"
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:09 AM

Wish I had a manual - but.....the automatic, the. automatic can be sort of used as manual. A big plus is that it does the “ rev-match” thing on downshift. And....if you check stats, all the quickest times/trap speedy are owned by the automatic.
wiseman08 likes this.
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithwn View Post
When I drove both at the dealer a few years ago I found the clutch on the SS mushy ( frame of reference was compared to wife's M Roadster). It's a subjective assessment but one that pushed me to the auto.
Very happy with my decision. Make sure you drive the manual before you buy it as you may come to the same conclusion I reached.
Not me brother, the CDV in the bmw was horrid.

The clutch in the SS has a different feel but its doable for one . Once you drive it any clutch feel discrepancies will go unnoticed in a couple of weeks.

OP , if your looking for a Manual... an automatic wont cut it.

ppp

Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS > Grand Am GT > Nissan Maxima > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude > Infiniti G35 > BMW E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec > Chevy SS, Hyundai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX > Hyundai Tucson sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page