Oil in Catch Can, how much is too much?? - Chevy SS Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Oil in Catch Can, how much is too much??

I have a Mighty Mouse catch can and will be draining it again for a third time since install. I feel like I'm collecting a lot of oil. Is this normal or could I have an issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:27 PM

How much volume collects over how many miles? Unless it's hooked up wrong, you can't collect "too much". Would you rather that oil contaminate your intake charge, get burned in the combustion chamber, leave carbon deposits, cause knock, and make the computer to pull timing? If it's collecting a lot of oil and it's hooked up correctly, it's just doing what it was designed to do.
SS_Scott likes this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
How much is a lot? How many miles between each clean out? Manual or automatic? Aggressive or conservative driving style? The more info you give us, the more we can help.
willy92 and SS_Scott like this.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmadson09 View Post
I have a Mighty Mouse catch can and will be draining it again for a third time since install. I feel like I'm collecting a lot of oil. Is this normal or could I have an issue?
I don't have much experience with my can on my SS yet.

I can tell you on my v6 Colorado p/u it collects about 1 oz. per 1000 miles. Judging by others with the same trucks it is very close to that with them too.

Without getting all geeked out on oil and it's specs, it most likely depends mostly on the NOACK Volatility of the oil in question. In my limited experience I would say any full syn is good and performs well in that test.

Anyway, I'm keeping tabs on my SS but it is too soon to tell. I'm betting it will be close to an oz. per 1k miles with the LS3 just like the LFX in my Colorado.

Also, the more wear on the rings/cyl/pistons the more you will likely see. I can tell you this, it was much more than I expected, that's for sure. It is amazing how much those little cans collect.

EDIT: Measure the amount and mileage and report back, I'm curious, maybe others are too.

Sent from the butt crack of California
2016 white, auto V-8 Malibu. All stock except for catch can and high performance muffler bearings.

Last edited by SS_Scott; 06-16-2019 at 11:45 PM.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:27 AM

Also consider that it may be that not all that is collected is oil. There can be a lot of condensation and other liquefied gaseous content in the mix. It's often a regular smorgasbord of ilk collected in the cans. Be sure and correlate the volume you are collecting with the current oil levels (on an accurate read of the dipstick) and see if it jives.
SS_Voraus, SilverSport and wilkin4 like this.

2016 HW M6, no roof, no spare!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by good2go View Post
Also consider that it may be that not all that is collected is oil. There can be a lot of condensation and other liquefied gaseous content in the mix. It's often a regular smorgasbord of ilk collected in the cans. Be sure and correlate the volume you are collecting with the current oil levels (on an accurate read of the dipstick) and see if it jives.
T
Yes, in warm climates it seams to be just an oily kind of "stuff". Much like used oil. That's what I find, just like you forgot to change your oil for a while kind of stuff....

In colder climates you can get a kind of 'milkshake' looking stuff that appears to be from moisture.

I really don't think it's a big deal on our port injection, but on a GDI engine it is a must for me to have a catch can.
pottypants likes this.

Sent from the butt crack of California
2016 white, auto V-8 Malibu. All stock except for catch can and high performance muffler bearings.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:21 AM

I installed mine at 25,000 miles. I just emptied it at 26,200 miles...about a 1/2 ounce.
SS_Scott likes this.

15 SIM Auto Roof No Spare, it does now
Livernois Tune, Rotofab
Kooks Headers & Mid Pipe
19 XT4 The Wife's
15 BMW R1200GSA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:27 AM

I installed my Elite can at about 1k miles (would've been earlier but thanks Maryland Speed ) and for the most part it pretty consistently would be about 3/4 filled every 3k miles. Last oil change at 26k it seemed like the rate decreased a bit. Could be the rings finished seating by 20k miles and compression is a hair better resulting in less blowby.

2016 Chevy SS HW - can, Rotofab, 1-7/8 ARH headers +cats and LMS tune
2001 Trans Am NHRA Edition - TSP built Darton sleeved 454 and a lot of other stuff
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
I installed my Elite can at about 1k miles (would've been earlier but thanks Maryland Speed [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] ) and for the most part it pretty consistently would be about 3/4 filled every 3k miles. Last oil change at 26k it seemed like the rate decreased a bit. Could be the rings finished seating by 20k miles and compression is a hair better resulting in less blowby.
3/4 full after 3k miles???

Something is very wrong. I had about a 1/4 cup in mine after 5k miles and I thought that was a lot.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:44 AM

I have a catch can on my truck (5.7 Hemi) and on my SS. I dump the one on my truck more often than the SS since (according to the forums) the hemis are known for having more "blowback" than the LS motors. I will dump the one in my SS maybe 2 or 3 times between oil changes, about a have dozen or more for the truck. I never let it get more than half full.

'15 M6 Perfect Blue, Roof, Inflator. #20 of 21.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page