why use a Chev/Cadi dealership ... your opinion ? - Page 2 - Chevy SS Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RS View Post
What is your job? Does your job not charge when it's "clear cut?" Do you also have some people working at your job who shouldn't be there and some people that go above and beyond? Does every single customer always get the above and beyond person to deal with? I'm not saying its right but the same things that happen in any job/business happen at a car dealership. If everyone who was sub-par was fired, there'd be hardly anyone working.
I made a career working with "black sheep" .. people often on the list to get fired by previous supervisor …

I meet with each such worker, find out what the problem is, we come up with a path of recovery …
These people are often mistreated and unappreciated by mgt .. afterwards, they often shine, often very capable, feeling appreciated, and very loyal (to me) …
Often, I'm dared to try their job .. I have a thing that if I ask you to do something, I must be willing to do it myself .. of course not as good since I cannot be better than one that does it 8hrs/day .. but they get the message ...

Most everyone is worth helping, coaching, retraining .. its very very expensive to train and then toss away talent that often goes to a competitor .. the lowering of employee turnover of any biz is critical to survival .. a seemingly basic tactic often lacking …

I rarely fire anyone .. when it happens its usually drugs, theft, legal violations, carelessness, or violence .. not job performance …
I find that too many people become supervisors/managers cuz they know the physical job BUT lack the skills and patience to "COACH" workers …

'14 SS Heron White "Glinda" 99.99% OEM
Fastest OEM SS year model .....

Last edited by SoCA-SS; 06-16-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:32 AM

Let me ask it another way. Why do you feel like I should not be paid for diagnosing a car? I spent my time pulling an RO, getting the keys, wandering around the parking lot looking for it, bringing it in, maybe test driving it, pulling codes/looking at data/etc., found the problem, quoted the repair, waited around for the ok, repair declined, put the car back together, parked it outside, walked the ticket and keys to the advisor, and tried again. It doesn’t matter if that took me 5 minutes or 5 hours. If I did it in 5 minutes, my knowledge and experience is why that was possible. Why should I not be compensated for that? If it was really that cut and dry you would have fixed it yourself. But you brought it to the professionals.

I’m not getting into the “fixing people” because that is a much bigger issue than you make it out to be but I will say the biggest factor in not having enough good technicians at repair shops is money. When the good techs leave for greener pastures there’s no one to pass down knowledge.
CB750 and willy92 like this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RS View Post
Let me ask it another way. Why do you feel like I should not be paid for diagnosing a car? I spent my time pulling an RO, getting the keys, wandering around the parking lot looking for it, bringing it in, maybe test driving it, pulling codes/looking at data/etc., found the problem, quoted the repair, waited around for the ok, repair declined, put the car back together, parked it outside, walked the ticket and keys to the advisor, and tried again. It doesn’t matter if that took me 5 minutes or 5 hours. If I did it in 5 minutes, my knowledge and experience is why that was possible. Why should I not be compensated for that? If it was really that cut and dry you would have fixed it yourself. But you brought it to the professionals.

I’m not getting into the “fixing people” because that is a much bigger issue than you make it out to be but I will say the biggest factor in not having enough good technicians at repair shops is money. When the good techs leave for greener pastures there’s no one to pass down knowledge.
where did I say that?
Diagnosis is #1 most important job .. if one doesn't know what is wrong ...
you should get paid for diagnosis, no ifs, no buts …

but if I walk in and request a job, please, no diagnosis .. just do the job at going rate …

I prefer to pay my local shop for diagnosis by the hr, not some set fee …
I pay for repair cuz even if its cut and dry, most of us may not have the tools or the $50,000 computer or ability or the time or the patience ...

examples ..
SS had to be re-programed several times with equip only avail at GM dealer …
AC, is for the most part, not exactly DIY …

'14 SS Heron White "Glinda" 99.99% OEM
Fastest OEM SS year model .....

Last edited by SoCA-SS; 06-16-2019 at 11:24 AM.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy92 View Post
2019 marked the begining of my 50th year working in the auto repair business as a gas jockey, technician, writer or manager. I spent a total of 2 years combined, including part time jobs, of those years not working at a dealer. Here is what I found was the difference. The dearler is obligated to train you and will, because he has to. He gets no SFI money if his staff is not trained. I have new classes that I have to take each quarter, so, I'm still being trained to this day. In an independent shop, you train yourself. If you don't, it's on you. Yes it benefits you to make sure that you are trained, but, it's on your dime.

The other is the available info database, special tools, and oem parts.

It is these reasons the dealer charges much more, in most cases, than an independent shop. He has to pay the technicians to be trained and pay for the training. He has to keep the special tools/equipment, which, mostly, is very expensive.

Our labor rate reflects that. Here in SoCal(the land of opportunity) our labor rate is $180.00 - $220.00 per hour. Maintenance items are menu/competitively priced, because the "kids" do most of that. We charge for diagnosis($220.00) because our techs do not get an hourly wage to tell you what's wrong with your car. I mean, whats to stop a person from bringing it to the car to the dealer to diagnose and then take it to "Jo-Blo" to get it fixed because he can do that job cheaper. If you do the repair that we recommend, you don't pay the diagnosis charge, you only pay that if you chose not to do the repair.

In our shop, some of our techs get a good wage. We have some techs earning six figures, but, those are high producers and have few comebacks and a couple of them have trainees working with them.

But, I know that all that is no guarentee that they all know what they are doing, there are slackers on every job, you can't get around it.

So, there you have it.

Thanks for explaining this from the dealer perspective, and "wow" you've got a sh#tload of experience. I've often thought (perhaps incorrectly), that a prospective buyer of a used car (one that is 5 years old or less) will opt to purchase one that has been "dealer maintained" and documented thru CARFAX vs. one that has serviced/maintained via "Jo-Blo" shops. I only use my most trusted local Chevy dealer to do all maintenance/service on my SS. I know I'm paying more, but I have peace of mind (and its hard to put a price tag on that).
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:39 AM

So why have other major manufacturers, particularly the luxury brands been able to solve this? Simply because they charge more for services or is it also because the manufacturers have tight guidelines for customer service levels, first time fix rates, etc and they routine check up on the dealers to make sure they are meeting standards? My belief is the money is part of it, but a significant factor is the culture and leadership in the company and the attention paid by the manufacturer to after-the-sale service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SoCA-SS likes this.

"Don't get stuck on stupid."

Career politicians suck; that doesn’t mean the rest of us have to as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page