Chevy SS Forum banner

GM Roof Rack Cross Rails ?

4K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  LAG 
#1 · (Edited)
GM Roof Rack Cross Rails ?

Seems I have a need to carry more than car can handle inside ...
Been told to acquire a Subaru Outback .. but .. not ready for another $30K ride if I can do with a $300 rack ...
Have not been a fan of roof racks, but maybe its time to revisit idea ...
Did have a OEM trunk rack on a Stang GT .. kind of useless ...

Have you installed a rack?
Any bite me in the A** issues I should be aware of?
REAL Weight limitations vs recommended limits?
Any other than the GM rack recommended?

Mainly Bicycles, skis, kayak, cargo carrier, occasional lumber ...

And, my SS has a ROOF !

#2 ·
The Holden roof rack is quite nice, and it attaches to existing mounts in the black roof strips.

It looks the best and can carry a fair amount, do a search for it, you will be impressed.

#3 ·
Yeah, I've seen one, and it is nice! Just don't get tempted to add some LEO lights on it, and you'll be okay. :angel

#4 ·
Being that you've got a white car like myself, you'll find people mistake you for a cop quite often and they'll drive slower. You'll also see some entertainment from oncoming traffic on occasion when someone rounds a corner, sees you and slams on the brakes...

Beyond that, the wind noise is noticeable, but not too bad UNLESS you open the sunroof. Don't use the sunroof.

The airfoil shape of the rack deflects a number of bugs off the bottom of the cross rail into the roof, so you'll have bug guts to clean up there too.

The crossbars aren't very far apart, so unless you're only looking at 8' lumber lengths, stability will be an issue.

#5 ·
Have one for the G8, just ordered the same part for the SS

They are rather nice!

#7 ·
I have had one for two years and love it. Wind noise is present when you open the sunroof.
Install is tricky - you will need to remove some paint residue before the rack fits nicely - it is a part of the install manual - make sure to check it out.
SUPER IMPORTANT - make sure that when you purchase the roof rack, they ask you for the VIN of the car.
Apparently there are slight differences with various car dimensions and when I ordered mine they needed to
special order it, based on the car's vin ( a late 2017 model).
Other than that - you will enjoy using it.
Cheers!

#8 ·
Ditto on all the comments above.

I had the worst time trying to install it the first time, until I found there were two rubber strips on the feet of the bars that needed to be pulled off one of he bars (rear one?) to allow the tangs to mesh with the roof rails.

I've used them for foam panels, doors, and 8' bits of one-by, two-by, trim, PVC pipe... nothing especially heavy, just things that are hard or impossible to wrestle into the cabin on the trip from the home center to the house. Now that I know how to get them on and off easily, I only install them as I need them.

I do worry about the plastic plugs that fill the holes when the rack isn't in use. They bake in the sun all day every day, and I'm worried they are getting brittle... but not worried enough to research the part number.

#9 ·
I do worry about the plastic plugs that fill the holes when the rack isn't in use. They bake in the sun all day every day, and I'm worried they are getting brittle... but not worried enough to research the part number.

92207446 Roof Molding Cover list $5.98

Reactions: LAG
#10 ·
Just buy them, they are great.
I use mine for paddleboards I carried two from Miami to Weeki Wachee once during a tropical storm warning. A bit of a sphincter squeezer going over the sunshine skyway but I worked out great.

#12 ·
With nothing between the crossbars (e.g. bike tray) it’s a 5 minute job with some help to ensure you don’t scratch the roof. If I’m doing it by myself, maybe 10 minutes. I would not recommend leaving them on permanently. Though quieter than my old Yakima rack, they are still loud enough to be noticed. The crossbars will fit in the trunk with the center seat dropped down. I haven’t tried putting them diagonally across the trunk, but eyeballing it, it didn’t look like it would work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.