Can we have a front passenger grab handle above the door? - Chevy SS Forum
 79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Can we have a front passenger grab handle above the door?

So... I just stumbled tonight upon this thread with great excitement, expecting to discover a vast and even entertaining collection of ideas and aparati to promote nuptial bliss around the VF...
Alas, I found 253 posts and 3 years dedicated to installing a stinking garage opener button in a visor!!!....

And me in my oblivion, I already have my LiftMaster 971LM remote held by Velcro inside the driver door cubby (the one I was also taught here that it can hold a water bottle).

In any event, I am actually looking for another mod which would really bring great joy to my wife and some collateral benefit to me: A front passenger grab handle (above door).
There is nothing for the front passenger to grab onto - on the door, console, dash, floor, roof... anywhere!! (well, almost, but this is a family friendly forum). This is incredible and takes quite a bit of the fun out of attacking the Foothills, freeway ramps and the occasional roundabout.

So... is anyone aware of a feasible, clean solution to retrofit a front passenger roof grab handle? (uh, without drilling or welding to the roof...)

And if there is already a thread on the topic my apologies and please send me there. Thanks!

Obligatory disclaimer: Unless expressly stated to the contrary therein, all my posts always represent only my own personal opinion(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Black, 6M, sunroof, custom wheels & spare, CAGS defeat, Holden badging, black trim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoram View Post
So... I just stumbled tonight upon this thread with great excitement, expecting to discover a vast and even entertaining collection of ideas and aparati to promote nuptial bliss around the VF...
Alas, I found 253 posts and 3 years dedicated to installing a stinking garage opener button in a visor!!!....

And me in my oblivion, I already have my LiftMaster 971LM remote held by Velcro inside the driver door cubby (the one I was also taught here that it can hold a water bottle).

In any event, I am actually looking for another mod which would really bring great joy to my wife and some collateral benefit to me: A front passenger grab handle (above door).
There is nothing for the front passenger to grab onto - on the door, console, dash, floor, roof... anywhere!! (well, almost, but this is a family friendly forum). This is incredible and takes quite a bit of the fun out of attacking the Foothills, freeway ramps and the occasional roundabout.

So... is anyone aware of a feasible, clean solution to retrofit a front passenger roof grab handle? (uh, without drilling or welding to the roof...)

And if there is already a thread on the topic my apologies and please send me there. Thanks!

Here's a post showing a picture without headliner. As you can see, there appear to be lugs that a grab handle could be mounted to, but nobody has tried it to my knowledge. I'm guessing fear of how the side curtain airbags work is the main sticking point. The airbags fire down, but I have no clue what trim piece blows out of the way in order for them to work properly. Could that trim piece still get out of the way as needed with a handle mounted? No clue. Doing some research on wrecked cars would be needed for me to have any confidence in doing this mod.

https://www.ssforums.com/forum/2079874-post5.html

Note, picture is of a non-sunroof car. No clue if those lugs are present in sunroof cars as well.

2016 HW 5 wheels, 4 doors, 3 pedals #2060, #43 of 50
post #3 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Started new thread for this wished-for mod. Expect it will provoke some interesting comments.
speedrye and wolds like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Martin
2014 SS, Heron White, A6, no mods, #3334 of MY2014
and 41 of 41 as built of the 534 HW. Born on Feb 6, 2014.
2016 Silverado 1500 LTZ CC Summit White.
Chevy SS Production & Sales Info for All Years can be found here:

Direct link to spreadsheet here:

post #4 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 01:06 PM

Garage
The main problem is removing the headliner without compromise during the mod. Perhaps the rear window requires removal. If I were to attempt this, I would take the car to a high-end upholstery shop, restoration shop, or police lighting outfit, e.g. Star-Cars.net, etc.

2017 White No-Sun A/T Spare | Current: 27k | Tint & Film | Undercoating | Blk-Out Trim |Forgeline Wheels | Recaro Seats | Insulation | Tow Bar | Frame Connectors | Spyder Tail Lights | Lift Pads | HD Trunk Springs | Miles: 29K

Last edited by SaberOne; 05-02-2019 at 01:08 PM.
post #5 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinetree View Post
Started new thread for this wished-for mod. Expect it will provoke some interesting comments.

Pinetree, Speedrye and SaberOne, thanks a lot! I'm very keen on learning what is known about this conundrum...

Obligatory disclaimer: Unless expressly stated to the contrary therein, all my posts always represent only my own personal opinion(s).

2016 Black, 6M, sunroof, custom wheels & spare, CAGS defeat, Holden badging, black trim
post #6 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 01:28 PM

If you wanted the handle up high you can always use Rivnuts to provide a secure mounting solution. Then cut a small hole in the headliner of plastic at that location to mount a handle. But, for it to look nice you would have to source a handle from a factory installation. Otherwise your car just becomes another fast and furious rice racer.

Or, you could make a bracket that would mount under the seat between the seat rails and the floor of the car, and bring your handle up from underneath. B.

2015 Chevy SS SLIHRM auto spare sunroof VCM OTRCAI
2013 Taurus SHO Deep Impact Blue auto spare sunroof
1969 Mach 1 "R" Code Royal Maroon auto white interior
post #7 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 01:31 PM

Here's an idea but it may not be well received regardless of good intentions:

ESindon and Yoram like this.

it's socially unacceptable to be ahead of your time.
The White Lion: 2015 Heron White, sunroof, spare. two pedals, two paddles, #73 of 277 as configured, #827 of 3,168 built
No mods: 100% Houston Stock
post #8 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrye View Post
Here's a post showing a picture without headliner. As you can see, there appear to be lugs that a grab handle could be mounted to, but nobody has tried it to my knowledge. I'm guessing fear of how the side curtain airbags work is the main sticking point. The airbags fire down, but I have no clue what trim piece blows out of the way in order for them to work properly. Could that trim piece still get out of the way as needed with a handle mounted? No clue. Doing some research on wrecked cars would be needed for me to have any confidence in doing this mod.

https://www.ssforums.com/forum/2079874-post5.html

Note, picture is of a non-sunroof car. No clue if those lugs are present in sunroof cars as well.

Speedrye, thanks. This is good info! I see pairs of rectangular "bosses" or downward indentations in the side-rail stamping above both front and rear doors, but comparing the longitudinal location of the rear pair to the location of the rear grab handle in my car these are not the grab handle mounts, and I cannot identify the actual rear handle mounting points in the pic which would offer a clue for the fronts... My optimistic assumption has been that front grab handle mounting points were designed into the stampings and are there, but the actual handles are omitted to save money.... On the other hand, the headliner does not have front recesses like the ones for the rear handles, and feeling out the headliner above the front doors I cannot detect any mounting points, so there may be no front mounting points. Dang.

post #9 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 01:55 PM

Garage
I canít take the time right now, but someone may want to look at pics of Aussie SS-Vs to see if they have a handle. Also maybe look at Caprice PPVs?

Iím interested in this mod, too...

es

2018 Buick Regal TourX
2017 Chev SS (NGM, 6MT, Sunroof, Inflator, Rebadged) #8 of 33 of 670, #979 Built
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 Power Wagon
2010 New Holland Boomer 8N
1976 Cosworth Vega #2196
1963 Volkswagen Type I
1962 Volkswagen Type I Sunroof
1950 Ford 8N
1915 Nieuport 11
post #10 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by iratollah View Post
Here's an idea but it may not be well received regardless of good intentions:

Hahaha... no, my wife does not require pacifying, just physical restraint...
mckeil and iratollah like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in