Upper Strut Bushings - Chevy SS Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Upper Strut Bushings

Hey everyone, new SS owner here located in OKC. 2015 HW M6...been looking for around a year and finally found the one. Absolutely LOVE it so far. I would have posted this in the technical thread, but donít have 20 posts on the forum

I do, however, have a couple questions for anyone who has replaced their (notoriously bad) upper strut mount bushings in their SS. Iíve been noticing a hollow rattling sound in the front end while hitting small bumps at low speeds, so I assume the bushings are to be blamed.

Questions:

1) Did you have a shop replace your bushings? How much did it cost? I was quoted $250 for both (labor only) and feel thatís a bit high.

2) If you replaced them yourself, was it a big job? I was told today that we would have to pull the entire strut, compress the spring, remove nut and old bushing, then UNDO the spring, then redo it or something rather...seemed like youíd only have to compress it once to me, but Iím far from a mechanic. If anyone wouldnít mind jotting down some basic ďhow toĒ steps, that would be greatly appreciated. I MIGHT even consider renting a spring compressing tool and tackling it myself if itís simple enough.

Thanks everyone in advance for your help.

Cameron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Here are a couple pictures if you guys were curious what she looked like. Hope this works...

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:11 PM

have a listen while somebody drives by you perhaps

My 2016 was just in, still under B 2 B warranty, to address a rattle from the right front. Turns out it was a stabilizer bar end link which was making the rattle.

My car's noise showed up under pretty much the circumstances you described for your car's noise. You could have the good fortune to have something fairly similar to my fix, for yours.
wiseman08 likes this.

Last edited by Gangreen16SS!; 04-25-2019 at 05:37 PM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response! I wonder how I could go about trying to diagnose the rattle myself.

What did they have to do to fix yours?

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:34 PM

The dealer tech drove around in their awful driveway and heard the noise.

He then put the car onto the lift which lifted the car by the tires; not by the chassis, keeping the suspension loaded normally, and poked and pulled on everything he could get his hands on. The right front stabilizer bar link moved when it obviously should not have moved.

From inside the car I thought the noise was coming from the right rear.

On fairly new cars, the end links can normally be unbolted fairly easily. In the areas where salt and brine and other wonderful chemmies are used to keep roads clear of frozen precip, the fasteners sometimes need a bit of persuasion to separate.

Finding something like that kind of rattle by yourself can get challenging. That's why I suggesting having somebody drive by on a section of broken pavement like that where you hear the noise from inside. A few passes *may* help you decide how high up, or low down, the noise seems to come from.
SiscoC likes this.

Last edited by Gangreen16SS!; 04-25-2019 at 05:37 PM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:03 PM

I had a noise similar to yours. Some kind person on here suggested the sway bar end link. Changed out both the front links, and all is better. Did it myself and wasn’t too bad and I am no mechanic.
wiseman08 likes this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:13 PM

Garage
To build on all the good inputs above, I'd suggest first remove the right front stabilink and go for a short drive. You'd want to do it with both wheels on the ground (on ramps) or entire front of the car in the air to prevent windup of the stabar. An air gun would be handy for removal, not for re-assembly. If one of the stabilink joints is the culprit, the noise should be gone. If the top mount (what you refer to as strut bushing) remains suspect, I would take it to the shop. It does require disassembly of the strut module including removal of the spring with the use of spring compressor(s). This operation can be dangerous and should not be attempted without experience and proper tools. You could also damage the coil spring coating with the wrong compressors or technique and initiate a corrosion-induced spring failure down the road.
Gangreen16SS! and SiscoC like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Black, 6M, sunroof, custom wheels & spare, CAGS defeat, Holden badging, black trim
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 10:04 AM
SLA

I'm probably wrong, as people like to point out on forums, but I actually don't think I've heard much about the strut mounts on the SS. Lots of bad ARB end links though.

Mine were bad at 25k miles. Pretty simple to install and inexpensive part. I went with the Moog links. I like them b/c you can service them.
SiscoC likes this.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 10:15 AM

I did the strut bearing replacement in my old G8 (very similar configuration, magride strut aside.) At the time I was also upgrading the struts and shocks and wanted to get my hands dirty. Turned out ok, front struts arenít hard but you make to make sure you have them clocked properly when re-installing them (take lots of pictures as you take things apart) and youíll need to ensure everything is torqued to spec when you reinstall. Spring compressors you can borrow from OíReilly etc. are a little dicey but doable if you are careful and take your time. Alignment should be done afterward.

If I was to do it again I would most likely have a qualified dealership/shop do the work. Iím 5 years older and wiser now...

Check the other possibilities as noted previously first for sure and good luck.

SiscoC likes this.

"Don't get stuck on stupid."

Career politicians suck; that doesnít mean the rest of us have to as well.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 10:16 AM

Garage
I replaced my strut bushing with whitelines. I rented the spring compressor from AutoZone. It's a PITA, but not too big of a deal. I used an impaq driver to compress the springs. Took me about 20 minutes to take the strut out and a good 45 to compress the spring, change the bushing and put it back together. I think I had about 3 hours tied up in it.

If I were to do it again, I would just take the struts to a shop and have them change the bushings for me. Save me some headache.
SiscoC likes this.

Model: 2014 Chevrolet SS
Build Date: 09/19/2013

Build Statistics:
Phantom Black Metallic , Sunroof, Spare
#1,109 built
#309 of 848

Mods:
Kooks 1 7/8 Long Tubes
Solo-Performance hi-flo cats
Solo-Performance cat back /w 3.5" tips
Roto-Fab CAI
Livernois Agressive+ Tune
Whiteline Strut Bushings
Custom Build Plate

Infinity Kappa 62.11I F/R
Infinity Kappa 100.9w Sub
Alpine PDR-V75 Amp
AuidioControl LC7i LOC

Continental DWS06 Tires
Black Bowties
Windows Tinted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page