Broken rim - Chevy SS Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Broken rim

This is about my truck. I'm not apart of any Cummins forums so I figured I'd ask here.

Two nights ago my rim broke where the outside changes to the inside of the rim. Just below where the bead seats.

I was cruise controlling at 60mph and the when it broke it yanked the steering wheel straight right. Which was a rock wall. (ocean on the left, rock mtn on the right)
I wasn't able to over correct it quick enough to keep me from hitting the front bumper against the rocks but kept the truck from getting completely pitted. It wedged into the rock wall and the short ditch. My snowmobile flew out of the truck but was luckily undamaged. Appears that when I hit the mtn a rock piece broke free cause something hit down on my bed cap and crushed a portion of my bed. Airbag light was on but no airbags went off. Read window blew out. Cab is smashed in along with the rear door, and obviously the front tire area is pretty messed up including the front bumper and fender.

I hit my face on the steering wheel but other than a sore back, hurt wrist, and bloody nose I'm mostly unscathed.

So that's a decent summary of events, my question is, should I pursue Dodge making this right or just file an insurance claim and let the insurance company go after dodge? I'd rather not have my rates go up if Dodge can just handle it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:20 PM

Sorry to hear that and I'm glad you are OK.

To play devils advocate: "What makes you think that it's Dodges fault?"

2015 | Silver Ice | Auto | No Roof | No Factory Spare
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksledjunkie View Post
This is about my truck. I'm not apart of any Cummins forums so I figured I'd ask here.

Two nights ago my rim broke where the outside changes to the inside of the rim. Just below where the bead seats.

I was cruise controlling at 60mph and the when it broke it yanked the steering wheel straight right. Which was a rock wall. (ocean on the left, rock mtn on the right)
I wasn't able to over correct it quick enough to keep me from hitting the front bumper against the rocks but kept the truck from getting completely pitted. It wedged into the rock wall and the short ditch. My snowmobile flew out of the truck but was luckily undamaged. Appears that when I hit the mtn a rock piece broke free cause something hit down on my bed cap and crushed a portion of my bed. Airbag light was on but no airbags went off. Read window blew out. Cab is smashed in along with the rear door, and obviously the front tire area is pretty messed up including the front bumper and fender.

I hit my face on the steering wheel but other than a sore back, hurt wrist, and bloody nose I'm mostly unscathed.

So that's a decent summary of events, my question is, should I pursue Dodge making this right or just file an insurance claim and let the insurance company go after dodge? I'd rather not have my rates go up if Dodge can just handle it.
Glad to hear you are OK. Some more vehicle details would be helpful. I also don’t see a angle on this were it ends up in Dodge’s lap. Where you on your way home from the dealership directly after you purchased it brand new when this happen? Rims and tires are considered wear items and are only SOMETIMES covered within a specified period of time, less than 5k miles from new as a example, this can vary by brand and issue. I really don’t envision Dodge helping you out on this. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

2017 SS M6 LSA Kooks LT & Mids Crane Cam ID1050 2.55"
NewEra ZL1 CAI 675rwhp 602lb/ft 93 Octane
2018 Sierra Denali 6.2 A8
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 Diesel A8
1965 Impala 5.3 ls, M6

Last edited by LSPowered65; 04-15-2019 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Added more

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSPowered65 View Post
Glad to hear you are OK. Some more vehicle details would be helpful. I also donít see a angle on this were it ends up in Dodgeís lap. Where you on your way home from the dealership directly after you purchased it brand new when this happen? Rims and tires are considered wear items and are only SOMETIMES covered within a specified period of time, less than 5k miles from new as a example, this can vary by brand and issue. I really donít envision Dodge helping you out on this. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
How are rims considered wear items?

Stock wheels and stock suspension. Truck is just under 2 years old.

I don't think rims should shear in half.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:03 PM

The problem you have is how do you determined that it's a manufacturing defect and not damage from your use?

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffield Steve View Post
The problem you have is how do you determined that it's a manufacturing defect and not damage from your use?
Totally agree haha.

I can't seem to upload a picture. Just switched from windows to MacBook and aren't familiar with this new file type for my pictures but the forum says invalid file.

I mean worst case scenario I file an insurance claim. The bed is destroyed, looks like a rock came loose from the mtn and fell down crushing the bed rail down. The airbag light is on but no bags deployed so not sure if the system needs maintenance or just to be reset, my wheels are pointed straight but my steering wheel is pointed 90* left, and my traction control is freaking out. So all that along with the extensive body damage will be pretty **** spendy.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksledjunkie View Post
How are rims considered wear items?

Stock wheels and stock suspension. Truck is just under 2 years old.

I don't think rims should shear in half.
Rims are the second in line to help absorb all of the driving you do, every bump and pothole goes through a rim. Warranties cover manufacting defects, its almost impossible to prove that a rim failed from a manufacturing defect 2 years out, its much more likely from the stresses of its environment.

Letís say they would cover your rim. From your description that side of the truck impacted the cliff. Correct? Now they can simply say the observed damage of the broken rim is from the impact. It would be much different if you found the cracked rim while the truck was parked in your driveway for you file a warranty claim. It would still be unlikely to be covered 2 years out. Does your truck have TPMS? It should have let you know pressure was getting low.

Iím not here to make you upset, you asked for opinions, this is mine.

2017 SS M6 LSA Kooks LT & Mids Crane Cam ID1050 2.55"
NewEra ZL1 CAI 675rwhp 602lb/ft 93 Octane
2018 Sierra Denali 6.2 A8
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 Diesel A8
1965 Impala 5.3 ls, M6
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Uploading from the phone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 94DC6088-BA5E-4D72-86D5-4C941D5F0A34_1555352411508.jpg (219.9 KB, 22 views)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSPowered65 View Post
Rims are the second in line to help absorb all of the driving you do, every bump and pothole goes through a rim. Warranties cover manufacting defects, its almost impossible to prove that a rim failed from a manufacturing defect 2 years out, its much more likely from the stresses of its environment.

Letís say they would cover your rim. From your description that side of the truck impacted the cliff. Correct? Now they can simply say the observed damage of the broken rim is from the impact. It would be much different if you found the cracked rim while the truck was parked in your driveway for you file a warranty claim. It would still be unlikely to be covered 2 years out. Does your truck have TPMS? It should have let you know pressure was getting low.

Iím not here to make you upset, you asked for opinions, this is mine.
I see what you are saying, I don't know that there was a crack, not sure how I could prove that. I guess I don't really care if there was a crack or not. A rim shearing seems dangerous as ****. If it had been the other side and I hit a family that was killed I'm pretty sure they would be going after the manufacturer.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:26 PM

Could you post a close up of the crack fracture?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page