Does this annoy you also??? - Chevy SS Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Does this annoy you also???

OK, so I picked up my new-to-me SS last weekend. Love it!

BUT... there are a couple of things I noticed that are small, but nonetheless annoying. Just wondering if these are "normal" or "typical" or I have some issues for the dealer.

I know this is nit-picky, but just wanna know if I have problems or all of them are like this...

1. Driver side mirror slight vibration. I know this def should not be like this, but not sure if I could get the dealer to replace under warranty. It's not really bad, but annoying to the point that I'm not sure I could get used to it.

2. HUD display on the windshield also slight vibration over bumps. Ditto. Keep looking at it instead of the road.

3. Gas filler tube is loose. When I fill up with gas, the tube is wobbly. I've had cars that this could move very slightly, like it was mounted to rubber. But this one can move up and down about a 1/4" easily. Doesn't move in or out.

4. Clutch pedal "knee". For you manual trans guys... the clutch pedal isn't linear. You push it down, and at a certain point it's like you go over a peak and then it gets lighter for the rest of the travel to the floor. Makes it hard to drive smooth when you aren't on it hard. I have a vague memory of my C5 Corvettes being this way, but this seems worse. Or my C5 memories are too rosy...

Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:49 PM

All normal.
willy92, Kannon, ESindon and 3 others like this.

2017 SIM ROOFLESS SPARE AUTO UNSULLIED
2,701st of 4,008 built 2-5-2017
12th of 17 built as configured

2014 SIM ROOFLESS - Traded
2,703rd customer car built
1 of 73 ROOFLESS SIM customer built cars
1 of 78 total ROOFLESS SIM in US when including the 5 roofless SIM GM internal cars sold as used.
1 of the 78 is confirmed dead and unrecoverable.

I don't do lazy or stupid.
Proudly politically incorrect.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:57 PM

The gas tube is not fixed to the car so that it can expand under extreme temps. I forget what Holden said that they tested it under I think it was - 50 C to + 50 C and also be able to move and not break off if the vehicle gets hit in that area. So if it was crumpled up the tube would still be there in one piece. As I was like wow this thing moves a lot but after test driving about 5 SS, all either 14's and one 15 they all was like this.

Don't know if the G8's are like this or not if so then it might be a US safety thing that Holden done in order for it to pass US regs.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:04 PM

Based on a lot of various road conditions in my '14 in 3+ years and 34, 249 miles (incl 3 California round trips) until it met its demise in Jan 2917:
* Never observed any conditions enuff to notice or cause annoyances like your 1,2,and 3.
* Few months back, test drove a 3-pedal SS including in traffic; didn't like the feel of the clutch pedal's action. Your #4 pretty close to words I'd could choose to use wrt the SS clutch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Photo theme: Red, White & Blue - USA & Aussie too

2014 Heron White Chev SS; sunroof; spareR.I.P. 01/17/2017
2009 Pacific Slate Metallic Pontiac G8 GXP w/LS9 SC performance additions & JHP interior mods
2009 G8GT Firehawk #19 (wish it were mine; was friend's car)

Last edited by nothanks; 04-03-2019 at 10:06 PM.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. It looks like no real problems... except the vibration that I prob just have to get used to....

post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:29 PM

Thought the mirror was just mine, would like to have it replaced if possible.

2015 Regal Peacock Green 6MT
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:40 PM

Only # 3 & 4, I notice on my 2017. As for the HUD. Adjust it all the way up to max then all the way down to low. Raise it up just enough where it displays fully and leave it there. I remember going over a real bad section of road & mine started to vibrate. I did that exercise I mention and have not had anymore issues with vibration.
Pinetree likes this.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:56 AM
LAG

Garage
#2 would drive me crazy. Hopefully @evo9's advice will help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- #2 of 12, built 11/25/2014
Mods:
, cmptech's de-chrome interior trim,
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 06:55 AM

#1 and #2 are likely not normal. If the car is still under bumper-to-bumper warranty, take it in.

You get used to the clutch, eventually. It took me about 20k miles. I wanted to put an aftermarket clutch in with a solid mass flywheel in but I have a hard time spending the money without driving another one first to know exactly how it'll feel and that will likely not happen since there are so few SS's around.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:06 AM

Garage
My new-to-me 2016 SS makes an electrical buzzing sound under the hood when I use the fob to unlock the door. Not that I'm complaining, but what is that? I think it's coming from where I circled...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine.jpg (374.3 KB, 55 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page