Sway Bars - Chevy SS Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Sway Bars

Anyone make sway bars for our cars? How about Camaro sways - do any of those fit or work on our application (seeing as we are both Zeta, etc.)?

I am noticing a little more lean than I would like in the corners, and want to look at sway bars before dealing with springs, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:00 AM

What year is your SS?

OE is 26mm front, with 28mm rear for 2014.

For 2015>2017, rear is a different size (25mm) and design, which does not back-fit to 2014 without changing rear lower control arms and possibly converting to Brembo rear brakes.

Camaro (5th Gen) 1LE front bar has not been confirmed to fit, and probably will not work.

The 1LE rear bar is the 2nd design (fits 2015-2017 SS), but requires spare wheel tub modification for clearance. It is larger than the production SS rear bar.

Aftermarket options are limited:

Whiteline has a 26mm adjustable front bar (solid)

BMR has a 29mm adjustable front bar (hollow) - listed for G8, not SS, but should fit

BMR also has an "extreme" drag-racing oriented rear bar for Camaro that would probably fit with spare wheel tub modification.

There just aren't many options--someone may be aware of others.

Not directly applicable, but you may find THIS interesting.

Bill Harper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Navy Lifer; 02-17-2017 at 07:10 AM.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

I have a 2017 which comes with the Brembo rears.

I also have a spare so this will require some decision-making on my part.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Any new info on sway bars for our whips?

Can't believe we have zero options to beef up our handling....
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:56 AM

I have yet to see a correct rear swaybar for the non-2014's. But Im pretty sure the front bars havent changed and there are a few options (Whiteline, Superpro, BMR).
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Lifer View Post
There just aren't many options--someone may be aware of others.

Not directly applicable, but you may find THIS interesting.
I've been in conversation with JPSS about the possibility of doing a rear bar that works on sedans without modification--no definite response, either way, so far. The 32mm rear bar (from JPSS) has no offset/kickout in the span between the cradle bushings to clear the spare tire well, same as the 1LE Camaro bar.

The factory combination isn't bad, and the average owner/driver probably isn't going to find a huge benefit by changing out the OE parts--that said, there will always be that desire to remove production "junk" (not my position, but a common mis-perception) based on what the aftermarket manufacturers claim their stuff can do "better". JP's stuff is skewed toward track-ready, and will also depend on whether race rubber is being used to get the full benefit of the bar package described.

Bill Harper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Navy Lifer; 05-12-2017 at 07:21 AM.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 02:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Lifer View Post

The factory combination isn't bad, and the average owner/driver probably isn't going to find a huge benefit by changing out the OE parts--that said, there will always be that desire to remove production "junk" based on what the aftermarket manufacturers claim their stuff can do. JP's stuff is skewed toward track-ready, and will also depend on whether race rubber is being used to get the full benefit of the bar package described.
One needs to be careful when getting into this. It is too easy to turn a nicely balanced car into something that is better at one thing and a lot worse at others. Seldom suspension modifications stop at "one mod" without having to follow through with "other mods" to finish the package to take advantage of the one modification that you made...Think about it.
Navy Lifer, CB750 and SSholden like this.

Previous vehicles:
2003 Silverado(current)
1991 454SS(stolen)
2002 Infiniti Q45
1988 Mazda RX7-Anniversary Edition
1986 Mazda RX7 Sport(race car)
1983 Mazda GLC(race car)
1973 Mazda RX2(race car)
1981 Mazda GSL(bought new)
2007 Cadillac STS-V
1999 Cadille Seville STS
1995 Cadillac Eldorado
1990 Cadillac Eldorado
2002 TransAm Firehawk
1977 TransAm - Black and Gold Bandit Ed.
...that's far enough
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 04:42 PM

I agree and disagree. Have a car like this is to have something different. To have something different means to modify. Just make sure you modify to make it better, not make it worse.
I have an 05 GTO that will do better than 1g on the skid pad. Corners great rides like sh#@. Would I change it NO. Great once a week ride.
I am with those that find it funny that there is an actual lack of products for these cars. Maybe that's good, I can continue to drive this thing.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

There are two things to consider:

1) Sway bar diameter
2) Sway bar diameter front-to-rear ratio
Companies like to design front-to-rear ratios smaller (larger rear bar) to ensure understeer - i.e. if you let go of the wheel, it corrects back to forward. Companies like this because they don't like lawsuits (see the first iteration of the Audi TT for an example of a company not heeding this convention).

I am actually fine with the sway bar ratio on the SS (a little understeer, which is fine), I just want larger bars. I want more flat in the corners. I could achieve this with stiffer springs, but I have decided I like the stock ride, so I would rather keep the stock springs and stock ride height and just stiffen up the bars.

Navy Lifer please keep us posted on your progress with JPSS. Maybe we can get an East Coast SS owner to go to JPSS for R&D and fitting.

I would prefer a bar that works around my spare, as I like being closer to a 50/50 weight distribution than I would be without a spare.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorge View Post
There are two things to consider:

1) Sway bar diameter
2) Sway bar diameter front-to-rear ratio
Companies like to design front-to-rear ratios smaller (larger rear bar) to ensure understeer - i.e. if you let go of the wheel, it corrects back to forward. Companies like this because they don't like lawsuits (see the first iteration of the Audi TT for an example of a company not heeding this convention).
Too many variables to make it this simple...but basically it's front vs rear spring rate--the "mix" includes tire size (contact), weight distribution, and suspension alignment settings to control the contact patch. Further refined by motion damping, tire pressures, temperature (impacts performance of the tires). Much of this goes sideways unless we're evaluating a setup on an appropriate and consistent surface, which is rare outside of a controlled environment, ie. a test facility/race track. Add moisture, or other environmental variables, and the results with any specific setup change further...point being is that the production combination of all the variables is a compromise, and a pretty good one, and once a choice is made to move away from the original setup, all bets are off. My take-away: the GM engineers are pretty smart.

As for your description of understeer (not sure I'm interpreting your statement accurately), the normal responses are:

-increasing FRONT roll stiffness (higher spring rate, stiffer front stabilizer) with no other changes will promote increased understeer

-increasing REAR roll stiffness (as above) with no other changes will promote increased oversteer

Just one of many web resources on the topic

To be clear, I'm not saying "don't touch the production setup"--just be aware that changes can have unexpected consequences, whether positive or negative.
SaberOne likes this.

Bill Harper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page