Chevy SS Forum banner

King Springs

241K views 670 replies 120 participants last post by  Sonic087 
#1 · (Edited)
With Granatelli being out of the game and my general distaste for Eibach springs I went with Australian based King Springs. I had a set on my GTO that I absolutely loved. Total shipped over the pond was $330 USD.

Part Numbers:
KHFL-151SL
KHRL-152SSLHD

I'll post up when the get here and before/after pics.
(the pic below is not my car. Just an example of the drop)

Update: 1/16/17

Springs are here! Arrived this afternoon. Going to be a bit of delay because the car is currently getting some other work done and wont be back for a couple of weeks.

See less See more
#2 ·
I had Kings springs on my GTO before i went coil-overs. they are great. They were superior in quality then the Pedders I had on previously. do you have a link to the vendor you sourced them from?

#17 ·
I got mine through SparesBox. They're a pretty big retailer in the AU.

How much do those King springs lower our SS cars?

I dont want more than 1.25" of lowering.
These are 50mm which is almost 2 inches. However, actual real world typically garners a 1.5in drop.

The Ultra Low is just too low in my opinion. I plan on doing road racing and a car that low actually hinders performance.

...and the age old question, do they sell for MRC?

I know a lot of people say it doesn't matter, but done most of the Aussie companies offer springs for non-MRC and different springs for MRC?

EDIT: Also, OP, any reason you went with the Heavy Duty springs in the rear vs the normal Super Lows?
The drop wont affect the MRC.

I chose HD springs because its a heavier rate. This coupled with some sway bars should help alleviate the mild understeer this car is prone to.

#6 ·
Looks very good!

I only had bad experience with Intrax Springs on an old Volvo sagging like no other.

I have had a set sitting for the GXP but then I hit a pothole and had the bottom pan replaced and the bumper painted on the bottom so I decided against lowering.

Maybe I will pop them on the SS at a later date or back on the GXP with the new VE FE3 parts I bought before they were discontinued.

#9 · (Edited)
...and the age old question, do they sell for MRC?

I know a lot of people say it doesn't matter, but done most of the Aussie companies offer springs for non-MRC and different springs for MRC?

EDIT: Also, OP, any reason you went with the Heavy Duty springs in the rear vs the normal Super Lows?

#10 ·
MRC isn't as prevalent in AU since it's only seen in more expensive HSV models.

It's been proven on many forums across different GM models that a mild drop will not hurt the system. After all, the damper portion of MRC is nothing fancy. It merely has particles with magnetic properties suspended in the fluid contained within the cartridge. The MRC system applies a current across a coil surrounding the cartridge, the resulting magnetic field is what alters the viscosity. This fluid is always going through a fixed orifice, but it will travel slower the higher the viscosity.

There's nothing contained within the damper that will "wear out" faster after lowering unless you crash through the bump stops everywhere you drive.

#18 ·
The regular low would suit you best. I have an email into King to get exact spring rates. I remember stumbling upon them, but cannot remember where that info went.

Very interested to see them installed. Not really happy with the height from the eibachs.
Eibach's on my GTO collapsed after 1 summer of racing. Plus, the fronts tend to be about a half inch too high on most cars. I worked with them to get the problem solved, but in the end they told me to shove it because I raced the car.

Kings website says generally the mildest drop springs lowers the car by 30mm or 1.1 inches. Wanted to find more specifics though.
I'll find out spring rates soon.

#12 ·
Very interested to see them installed. Not really happy with the height from the eibachs.

#16 ·
Ditto... I want to keep my ground clearance and suspension geometry and have slightly stiffer rates. I've done enough suspension work with my cars to know the sweet spot is usually a .5"-.75" spring with good slightly siffer rates. Had some Racecomps on my BRZ that worked wonders before I started going with coilovers. Maybe I should shoot them an email to see if they can make something?

#15 ·
Yeah, their website left something to be desired for knowing the heights. I found where it said the Super Lows were 10-20mm lower than the Regular Lows and the Ultra Lows were another 10-20mm lower than the Super Lows.

I didn't find where it said the drop of the Regular Lows but if it's 30mm, that still leaves a wide margin of 40-50mm for the Super Low and 50-70mm for the Ultra Lows. That's a big range when it comes to a drop.

#19 ·
Glad we have another option.

#22 ·
The Spring Rates are in:

KHFS-151 - 190lb

KHRS-152 - 460lb

KHRL-152SL - 300-500lb

KHFL-151 - 120-220lb

KHRL-152SSLHD - 300-600lb

KHRL-152SSL - 300-500lb

KHFL-151SL - 120-220lb

KHRL-152SSSL - 300-500lb

KHFL-151SSL - 120-220lb

#180 ·
I did not see a spring rate for the "Regular" Low HD springs (KHRL-152SLHD) in your post below...??
The Spring Rates are in:

KHFS-151 - 190lb
KHRS-152 - 460lb
KHRL-152SL - 300-500lb
KHFL-151 - 120-220lb
KHRL-152SLHD - ???
KHRL-152SSLHD - 300-600lb
KHRL-152SSL - 300-500lb
KHFL-151SL - 120-220lb
KHRL-152SSSL - 300-500lb
KHFL-151SSL - 120-220lb
Bummer that the King Springs spring rate is so much higher than stock. That’s going to really change ride quality regardless of the amount of lowering.
I disagree - I think the car is way too mushy stock.

Stock was 28 3/8" front 28 1/2" rear. King's "30mm" drop springs are more like 1/4" drop. Now at just a hair over 28" front and exactly 28" rear. Can't win for losing. Well these springs ride and handle awesome though. Better than factory and leaps and bounds better than Eibachs. Hopefully they settle another 1/4" at least.

King
King Springs here look just like stock here.

#24 ·
I really don't know much about the various spring options in the aftermarket for this chassis. Lovell's is another spring brand from AU, and there is a US source:
08-09 PONTIAC G8 - LOVELLS SPRINGS - Kollar Racing Products

The springs listed are technically G8--just as the H&R springs are. There may be VF-specific springs listed in some AU source or Lovell's web site--haven't looked.

#25 · (Edited)
OEM non-MRC/King/Eibach/Granatelli Spring Rates

Just did a little cleaning up of the information here and from some other spring info.

OEM non-MRC (sourced from Eibach)
Front: 143lb
Rear: 331lb

King Standard Height
Front: 190lb - KHFS-151
Rear: 460lb - KHRS-152

King Lowered Height
Front: 120-220lb - KHFL-151
Rear: 300-500lb - KHRL-152SL
Rear EHD: 300-600lb - KHRL-152SSLHD

King Super Low Height
Front: 120-220lb - KHFL-151SL
Rear: 300-500lb - KHRL-152SSL
Rear EHD: ??? - KHRL-152SSLHD

King Ultra Low Height
Front: 120-220lb - KHFL-151SSL
Rear: 300-500lb - KHRL-152SSSL
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Full-size car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car White Rim

Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Rim White

Eibach
Front: 126-200lb
Rear: 217-405lb

Granatelli
Front: 90-160lb
Rear: 215-395lb

#28 ·
Just did a little cleaning up of the information here and from some other spring info.

OEM non-MRC (sourced from Eibach)
Front: 143lb
Rear: 331lb

King Standard Height
Front: 190lb - KHFS-151
Rear: 460lb - KHRS-152

King Lowered Height
Front: 120-220lb - KHFL-151
Rear: 300-500lb - KHRL-152SL
Rear EHD: 300-600lb - KHRL-152SSLHD

King Super Low Height
Front: 120-220lb - KHFL-151SL
Rear: 300-500lb - KHRL-152SSL
Rear EHD: ??? - KHRL-152SSLHD

King Ultra Low Height
Front: 120-220lb - KHFL-151SSL
Rear: 300-500lb - KHRL-152SSSL
View attachment 142993
View attachment 143001
View attachment 143009

Eibach
Front: 126-200lb
Rear: 217-405lb

Granatelli
Front: 90-160lb
Rear: 215-395lb
I think you've got the fronts and rear swapped. Front spring rates are higher than rear.

#26 ·
With Granatelli being out of the game and my general distaste for Eibach springs I went with Australian based King Springs. I had a set on my GTO that I absolutely loved. Total shipped over the pond was $330 USD.

Part Numbers:
KHFL-151SL
KHRL-152SSLHD

They are getting out of the spring game? The ss game? Or the aftermarket game?

#27 ·
They're not currently producing springs for the SS until they get 25 pre-orders.

#30 ·

Part Numbers:
KHFL-151SL
KHRL-152SSLHD

Which rims are these? They look fantastic. Sorry if you have answered this elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#31 ·
Bummer that the King Springs spring rate is so much higher than stock. That’s going to really change ride quality regardless of the amount of lowering. Now that I see the Granatelli spring rate, it makes sense that guys that are running these springs are happy with the ride comfort. Problem with the Granatelli is the large drop. So there does not seem to be a happy compromise yet.

For me, the ride quality of the OEM springs and MRC is pretty close to perfect for a sport sedan, and the MRC works great to alter the handling feeling from decently comfortable to fairly sporty. But the fender gap is so large!

I wonder if Granatelli would be willing to make a production run of springs set to their normal rate, but 0.5” or so taller? I for one would sign up for a group buy for this spring.

#34 ·
While I agree that I don't want a super high spring rate, there is something else to consider here.

If the other lowering springs spring rates aren't bumped up enough, you'll constantly be hitting the stops on bumps and such. This is far and away worse on your ride quality than just stiff springs alone and makes the car less predictable. Just something to consider but from what I've seen on here, I don't think that's really a problem with our spring options.

#304 ·
Funny thing, Just received a set of Granatelli springs and they didn't do a good job of taking the King logo and part # of them before shipping them. 152SSSL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.