Chevy SS Forum banner

Power steering failure

230K views 1K replies 207 participants last post by  Headrat 
#1 ·
This morning while visiting Chattanooga, I was in the process of turning down a side street when I heard a chime and a message flashed on the DIC "service power steering. Drive with care" and the power steering was gone. OMG! I thought I was back to wrestling a wheat truck back on the farm. I just happened to be across from a Chevy dealer and I wrestled it in the the service area. They had no available technicians until Monday but when I restarted the car, it had power steering.

I called my service manager and already have an appointment for Tuesday witha free rental. I will keep ya'll informed.

#3 ·
Wow thats not good. Definitely keep us updated! Drive safe!

Reactions: RedhotFLSS
#4 ·
Bad harness connection or software glitch? Bothersome in any case.

#5 ·
an update. Started heading home on on I-24 and was approaching Monteagle and it went out again. I drove to the next exit and pulled off and re-started the car because I did not want to go up and down Monteagle with no P/S. Halfway down the backside it went again. Definitely a "two hands on the wheel" moment for sure. I was able to snap a picture of the DIC showing the message.

Once I got off the mountain, put in in neutral, hit the start button twice to turn it off, and once again to start and everything reset itself. I could not replicate it again the last 150 miles. who knows.

Yes, I remember the days of no power steering but let me tell you, those steering boxes had different gear ratios to accommodate for the lack of power steering. You won't believe how much input you have to put in the steering wheel to get it point in the direction you want.

Attachments

#6 ·
I knew it would happen..

When I saw the specs on this car, that's what I hated the most. If that happened to my wife, one of us would die that day. If she survives the insuing CRASH!!! She would kill me on sight for putting her in such a car!!!

#28 ·
Let us know what happens with this.

by the way, when I pulled into the Chevy dealer, I called a salesman over to explain my situation. He looked at the car and said "what is this thing?" I told him an SS. He asked "Malibu?" no. "Impala?" no. "Oh, one of those SS's. Wow!"
It would be funny if it weren't so sad.

#12 ·
Pic of the DIC shows the cruise to be on and set. Maybe not the best idea if the steering is acting up.

#18 ·
Yes, the cruise control is on because this was a photo immediately following the second occurance. The cruise control got turned off right after the photo. As soon as it happened the second time (which was on a straight section), I snapped a quick photo of the message.

#20 ·
A failed electric steering is much harder to turn than a straight manual because you have to turn the failed electric motor through a gear (or belt) reduction.

Ideally the motor should de-clutch when it fails, but I don't know of any electric steering system that does that. This would be a real bad deal for most women.

#30 ·
Update

An update.

My wife dropped the car of at the dealer this morning. Not ever seeing this before, the service dept. made a call to GM regarding this. GM informed them to stop all work on the car and they were sending a crew of engineers to diagnose the problem. So now my car sits in quarantine....

Now this is probably level 6 classified with GM so I won't name the dealership, but they were extremely apologetic about the whole situation. Maybe they'll give me a new 2015 M6 :dry:

I'll keep ya'll update as the situation develops.

#33 ·
An update.

My wife dropped the car of at the dealer this morning. Not ever seeing this before, the service dept. made a call to GM regarding this. GM informed them to stop all work on the car and they were sending a crew of engineers to diagnose the problem. So now my car sits in quarantine....

Now this is probably level 6 classified with GM so I won't name the dealership, but they were extremely apologetic about the whole situation. Maybe they'll give me a new 2015 M6 :dry:

I'll keep ya'll update as the situation develops.
loaner?

#63 ·
Before making comments about dealers and this being a daily driven car, or that people should just "take it", let's remember "indebt's" previous comment.

Yep, they hooked us up with a loaner. My wife said they were tripping over themselves trying to helpful.
I'm sure his dealer is doing all they can to help this customer deal with this unique situation and there has been NOTHING said in this threat suggesting otherwise.

What have you got against dealers anyway? If you don't like the way one treats you, file a complaint with GM and go elsewhere. Quit lumping good ones in with the bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.