Chevy SS Forum banner

Tried to use my free oil change

18K views 94 replies 48 participants last post by  good2go 
#1 ·
When I bought the SS 2 months ago it game with the 2 year service plan which includes 4 free oil changes.

With 3,000 miles on her I called the dealer to get the oil changed & was told in order to get the free oil change the oil life has to be 20% or less. Looks like I will be changing my own oil tomorrow & not resetting the oil life counter.

#3 ·
oil life counter ?

When I bought the SS 2 months ago it game with the 2 year service plan which includes 4 free oil changes.

With 3,000 miles on her I called the dealer to get the oil changed & was told in order to get the free oil change the oil life has to be 20% or less. Looks like I will be changing my own oil tomorrow & not resetting the oil life counter.
20 % less than what ?
just curious how that works and how GM spells it out to owner at purchase !
seems a little heavy handed to deny the change !

#4 ·
I was told 30% at my dealership. I already changed it myself at 4,800miles and it smelled pretty burnt. I will take it to them when it gets to like 5% so that I get my use of my oil.

Reactions: LS3DV
#6 ·
There's other threads on this already, Customer care can help you if your dealer refuses to do it when the % is over 20, you should be allowed to get them done whenever you want, up to the max of 4 within 2 years/24k. I got one done at 1k and 7k.

At least your dealer knows they shouldbe free, I've had to remind mine each time.

#7 ·
You can always try another Chevy dealership. Somebody will understand what the purpose is in changing oil in a new car. Is to protect your investment! Usually they will change the oil if you got the maintenance service plan, no matter the miles. Because you only get 4 free oil changes anyway. I did mine early too bc I don't think I'm going to get to 20000 miles in 2 years!

#8 ·
Let Chevrolet customer care know they will fix this. You can get it changed anytime I go at 500 miles but not more than a 1000. You guys do what ever makes you happy read about the blown motor in Car & Driver in Corvette states metal particle made it thru the filter and wiped out bearing, if you believe it made it thru the filter I have some land in Fla. for sale along with the Brooklyn bridge. Trash was left in something crank or block. My co worker had machine work done and assy his engine the shop never cleaned the crank or block he didn't know this and built engine it wiped out his new engine. Ask Headrat what happens if not cleaned.
z51vett
Doug

#9 ·
I take mine in for the second Oil Change and the Dealership told me 30% even though my mileage is over 10K. they are also fixing my recalls.

#10 ·
We don't even ask, unless it is a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle...then it does matter.

However,the other side of that, I reminded a customer who was at 9,000 miles, and he was requesting his 3rd one, that after this one, he only had one left. He seemed confused, then I 'spaint it to him. He seemed disappointed and decided not to do it at this time.

Oil and filter change every 3,000 is not necessary, but they will pay for it until they run out.

Reactions: 2074 and BGB0AR
#11 ·
This should NOT be an issue. I was lucky, my dealer knew the real deal. They told me I could get all four free oil changes in four days if I want, but after the four freebies I would be on my own.

Contact Chevy Customer Care, and ask them to educate your dealer.

#12 ·
I hope you don't mind my asking; who did you buy yours from? We're both in the Portland area, so I'm wondering. PM me if you don't want to name names on the forum. Thanks

#13 ·
Hmm, apparently still a bunch of dealerships that don't bother to read.

Got my first service at 2,992 miles. Service Manager said "No problem, word came down from Chevy corporate that we should do the free ones whenever the customer wants. No more hassles."

We all can chose to use a dealer that is knowledgeable.

#20 ·
I'm struggling to find a dealer who is knowledgable, so far they mostly disappoint me. My standards aren't that high either.

Cadillac dealer, different story, nothing but good experiences there.

#15 ·
Chevrolet's is a bit different. It is limited to 4 total.

Cadillac has free maintenance for 4 years and 50,000 miles so the 20% is the requirement for that. So it may be misinterpreted from Chevy dealer to Cadillac dealer. There is no limit to how many other than the oil life monitor requirement.

#16 ·
Chevrolet's is a bit different. It is limited to 4 total.

Cadillac has free maintenance for 4 years and 50,000 miles so the 20% is the requirement for that. So it may be misinterpreted from Chevy dealer to Cadillac dealer. There is no limit to how many other than the oil life monitor requirement.
They are 2 different programs...CPO and similar programs MUST be to 20% or less oil life and there is no limit. The Chevy program does not fall under that same program. I know that they seem the same but they are not.

#22 ·
@MrMonte - just FYI, its Laura M. at CCC now. Kelly's been gone awhile. :)

@fincherific - can/will the Cadillac dealer service your SS?

#26 ·
Edited my post for a better answer.. Wishing good luck for you.

#28 ·
Hi Mr Monte,

I apologize for any difficulty you have recently encountered while working with your dealer to have your oil change performed. I see other forum members recommended you send me a private message so I can reach out to your dealer on your behalf to discuss your situation. I just saw the message you sent me, and will be responding to you there shortly.

Regards,

Laura M.
Chevrolet Customer Care

#30 ·
Good to know that another brand can do the warranty work, hadn't considered that. Bummer about the service but I'm already almost halfway thru my 2 years so another year and I won't have to mess with a Chevy dealer anymore!

Reactions: Pinetree
#31 ·

My dealer did mine at just under 5k miles and it was right around the 30% mark. They did warn me that I only get 4 and I alerted them to the fact we had owned the car for nearly 9 months and it had less than 5k miles and that at that rate I would not get to take full advantage of my 4 oil changes which meant that the dealership wouldnt get paid by GM for those 4 "free" oil changes. He chuckled and said they would go ahead and do it but that he just wanted to make sure I understood that 4 was the limit. At first I wasnt fond of my dealer but looking at what other people deal with I am very happy with them.

Reactions: Pinetree
#32 ·
Just used my third free oil change today.
Changed at 1000, 5000 & 10,000.
Did tires at 5 & 10.
Once the free ones are gone I'll be doing them myself. But my dealer lets me inspect the car underneath while it's in the air and the owner and service manager are brothers and drinking buddies otherwise I would have done them all myself.

#33 ·
Earlier today I took my SS in for it's 2nd (2 of 4) free oil change to a local Chevrolet dealer. The oil life indicator read "55%".

I requested and paid the difference for the Mobil 1 upgrade. Upon signing the paperwork, I notice "Oil quantity - 7 quarts". I questioned the service manager about the shortage of 1 quart, and he sheepishly says, "I'm fairly certain your motor takes 7 quarts". I respectfully let him know the manual indicates 8 quarts, and my last service at his dealership was an 8 quart fill. Short story, long, the tech topped off the oil until the dipstick indicated a full. It appeared he added an additional .5 quart.

I'll most likely use this dealership again. Although the service manager was initially wrong about the oil capacitity of the SS, he didn't argue with me about this, was courteous, and immediately popped the hood and brought out a tech to check the oil level.

NOTE: Reviving a very old thread. Searched and didn't find anything recent. Mods, please move if necessary.

#35 ·
I took mine in at 1600 to have the oil changed and the tires rotated before putting it away for winter last fall, then had both services done again in July at 6500-7000ish before a road trip. The dealer attached quick lube didn't bat an eye except to say the "techs" were a little excited about the car.

A smart dealer wont argue you developing a habit of early oil changes with them only serves to make them money. Never mind that I think a LOT of us will be DIY once the freebes run out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.