Chevy SS Forum banner

Tires???

5K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  firehawk238 
#1 ·
So I was out detailing my SS today and I am so picky that I actually take the wheels off the car to clean them so that I can clean the drums as well as shine the inside of the tires as well. While doing this I noticed a nail my right rear tire. My question is.... would this be covered under the 24 month service package/warranty? I am just wondering if anyone else has had this same issue and wether or not the dealer covered it? I just hate the idea of paying some tire shop to repair it and have them destroy a TPMS sensor in the process or paying the dealership to do it and have the same issue or over pay for such a simple task.... Thanks in advance for your input.

#6 ·
Can I ask a stupid question?

Years ago, I was told that radial tires cannot (or should not) be rotated side-to-side, because modern radial tires, unlike ancient bias-ply tires, do not tolerate reversing their rotation in their life cycle.

Has this changed, or was it just bad info the whole time?

#10 ·
Radial tires should only be repaired using a pull through plug+patch type repair kit.
As stated above the tire will lose its speed rating.

This is because when installed the hole is drilled to accept the plug portion of the repair kit. This can damage the radial belts which is why it's only recommended for use until a replacement tire can be fitted.

#12 ·
Its in the tread portion of the tire. I am very familiar with all of the fixes for tires and can even do it myself just my only thought was if the dealer will cover it why should I get down and dirty on the tire. I am in El Paso, TX right now. I know that I can plug it right here in my garage or I can take the tire to the shop and break it down and install a boot type plug on the inside which is the preferred method. Honestly I just dont want to mess with it and am too cheap to pay to get it done. I will have to cave one way or the other though....

Reactions: Danimal
#15 ·
El Paso? Just go to Discount Tire as another member suggested. If it's repairable, they will break the assembly down, correctly repair (plug/patch) the tire, remount it, and rebalance it for no charge- they do this as a courtesy to their customers and for free marketing. Take advantage of this.

They also rotate the tires for free (even if you didn't) buy them there (factory installed tires), however this does not necessarily apply to SS's as they are only rotatable from side-to-side, which has marginal benefits.

Oh, and if the Discount Tire Rep asks if you bought the tire(s) there, let them know that they came on your vehicle when you purchased it, but that you plan on buying your next set from them. ;)

Hope this helps!

#17 ·
Dealership tried to sell me a new tire.... Discount tire is taking care of it for free knowing that I didnt even buy them there. I have purchased sets of tires in the past and will be buying ALL my future sets from them as well. I have always had good service with discount tire.

#23 ·
I always get the DT tire warranty on all my cars. Paid for itself several times.

#24 ·
The thing I noticed from them when I bought tires for my supercharged F150 was that they actually hand torque the lug nuts to spec. It is so much more accurate than the lousy torque adapters for the impact guns that most shops use. When I saw that I knew then they were a good place to go and dealing with them again today just reinforced that. And like Topher said, they arent always the cheapest but its worth it to pay more knowing you will get taken care of if something happens. In fact when I purchased my F150 tires I did two of them and then the next month I purchased two more. At first I didnt purchase the warranty and when I went in for the other two I was getting the warranty for them and commented that I wished I had done the others. The guy smiles and asked if I wanted to purchase it then. He "inspected" the tires and sold me the warranty for the standard warranty price over a month later. I used to order my tires from Tire Rack and mount them myself. Not anymore!

Reactions: Danimal
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.