2015 SS rear Brembos - Page 13 - Chevy SS Forum
 206Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radrace19 View Post
From what I have dug up so far.
2015 SS rear Brembo caliper is the same as the Camaro SS rear caliper. It uses the same pin kits and pads.
The parking brake shoe is the same as the 2014 so that means the rotor is special and will work on the 2014 SS and the G8
Umm, so if the calipers are identical and the only real change is the rotor, then how is the caliper supposed to mount to the stock G8/SS knuckle yet still clear the 360mm rotor?

Surely the rear knuckle has been modified/is new. That's the main reason for the custom bracket used by the G8.

Please verify because it wouldn't make sense for GM to have Brembo create a new caliper ($) since all of the other vehicles share the same exact caliper (part number changes due to paint, crossover position, etc.).

The new rotor would solve the parking break issue however.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Lifer View Post
Well, if I may attempt (don't recall responding previously) - now that we know this (Brembo rear) IS happening, the things to realize are:

1. rear rotor is thinner - larger diameter provides mass increase, more thermal capacity, more cooling area
2. pad volume/area is smaller compared to front, caliper pistons are smaller, and braking FORCE on rear rotors is proportioned by these mechanical differences AND ABS/Electronic Brake Force modulation
3. smaller rear caliper ALLOWS the larger rotor to fit and clear wheel(s) specified

Questions and "prayers" answered!!! Confirmed by parts information.

For those raising the question of WHY???, here's GM's answer:

From CP's post of GM Media info for 2015 SS

Brakes and steering system
Track-capable Brembo four-wheel disc brakes are standard, with ventilated 14-inch (355 mm) front rotors and 14.2-inch (360 mm) rear rotors. Four-piston aluminum calipers provide increased stiffness to reduce fluid displacement and caliper deformation without adding weight. The result is an enhancement to braking feel and overall vehicle dynamics.

My additional comment--yes, it is visually more pleasing, on top of everything else!
The rear rotor will be identical in specs (ignoring bolt patterns, cross-drilling, etc.) to the other rear Brembo vehicles: 1st and 2nd generation CTS-V, Camaro SS, STS-V, etc.

GM Brake Upgrade Option Measurements - Thirdgen F-body Brake Upgrade | Luke Skaff
post #123 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 11:30 PM

GXP25,

The (new) SS rotor is a unique part. Luke Skaff's documentation is not about Zeta platform vehicles, so any mention of CTS-V (not Zeta), Gen5 Camaro and later variants in his discussion is of questionable usefulness in this thread.

To me, and potentially for others reading this, your statement (quoted below) is somewhat confusing--and not entirely correct.

"The rear rotor will be identical in specs (ignoring bolt patterns, cross-drilling, etc.) to the other rear Brembo vehicles: 1st and 2nd generation CTS-V, Camaro SS, STS-V, etc."

• CTS-V - 365mm (5 & 6 lug versions - 5 lug same as Gen5 Camaro SS)
  • Gen 5 Camaro SS - 365mm (big park brake)
  • 2015 SS Sedan - 360mm (small park brake--also on G8 & PPV)

All the above 5-lug rotors are 120mm stud pattern, with 67.4mm center bore. They are not intended for use on 4.75" (120.65mm) applications, which have a rotor center bore of 70.7mm--even if the stud holes in the rotors are large enough to allow a 120mm application part to "fit" over the studs (3rd Gen use 12mm, Zeta uses 14mm), they will not fit a 4.75" pattern vehicle due to the center bore difference, at least without modification. Rotor hat offset/height dimensions for Zeta applications are different as well.

The 365mm rotors all use a variant of a Brembo caliper that is positioned radially to ensure there is a slight "underhang" of the pad in relation to the rotor edge. What some had resorted to in the G8 community was use of a 350mm rotor (with small park brake) from an HSV application--which resulted in pad overhang (pad is beyond the edge of the rotor) and the need to trim the outer edge of the pads to eliminate the overhang condition.

The new 360mm rotor will use a similar variant of the Brembo caliper (all versions mentioned use the same OE pads), accommodates the small park brake found on G8, PPV & SS Sedan, and the reduced diameter of the rotor (2.5mm radially) is still large enough to avoid a pad overhang condition compared to the 350mm HSV rotor.
Gerome and Pinetree like this.

Bill Harper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Navy Lifer; 09-21-2014 at 11:44 AM.

post #124 of 199 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
GXP25,

The (new) SS rotor is a unique part. Luke Skaff's documentation is not about Zeta platform vehicles, so any mention of CTS-V (not Zeta), Gen5 Camaro and later variants in his discussion is of questionable usefulness in this thread.

To me, and potentially for others reading this, your statement (quoted below) is somewhat confusing--and not entirely correct.

"The rear rotor will be identical in specs (ignoring bolt patterns, cross-drilling, etc.) to the other rear Brembo vehicles: 1st and 2nd generation CTS-V, Camaro SS, STS-V, etc."

• CTS-V - 365mm (5 & 6 lug versions - 5 lug same as Gen5 Camaro SS)
  • Gen 5 Camaro SS - 365mm (big park brake)
  • 2015 SS Sedan - 360mm (small park brake--also on G8 & PPV)

All the above 5-lug rotors are 120mm stud pattern, with 67.4mm center bore. They are not intended for use on 4.75" (120.65mm) applications, which have a rotor center bore of 70.7mm--even if the stud holes in the rotors are large enough to allow a 120mm application part to "fit" over the studs (3rd Gen use 12mm, Zeta uses 14mm), they will not fit a 4.75" pattern vehicle due to the center bore difference, at least without modification. Rotor hat offset/height dimensions for Zeta applications are different as well.

The 365mm rotors all use a variant of a Brembo caliper that is positioned radially to ensure there is a slight "underhang" of the pad in relation to the rotor edge. What some had resorted to in the G8 community was use of a 350mm rotor (with small park brake) from an HSV application--which resulted in pad overhang (pad is beyond the edge of the rotor) and the need to trim the outer edge of the pads to eliminate the overhang condition.

The new 360mm rotor will use a similar variant of the Brembo caliper (all versions mentioned use the same OE pads), accommodates the small park brake found on G8, PPV & SS Sedan, and the reduced diameter of the rotor (2.5mm radially) is still large enough to avoid a pad overhang condition compared to the 350mm HSV rotor.
My mistake about the 365 mm vs. 360 mm. Definitely an oversight. That 5 mm of overall diameter difference (2.5 mm difference in radius) still doesn't explain if the knuckle changed or not. I'd imagine that it did.

Of course the new 360 mm rotor will be a unique part; it would have to be due to the parking brake differences, etc.

Quote:
I'm not quite sure where you got this information from, but every "datasheet" that I've seen mentions that all of these rotors, including the G8 and SS, have a 5x120 mm bolt pattern coupled with a 67.4 mm hub register. The bolt sizes vary slightly (0.3 mm) but this is unimportant provided that the rotor is hub-centric. Even the FWD Epsilon II vehicles share this bolt pattern and hub register.

The rotor height (height of the hat) will definitely be application-specific but the nominal and minimum thickness will be identical to the other [Brembo] applications that I mentioned above; that's clarification for when I stated "The rear rotor will be identical in specs (ignoring bolt patterns, cross-drilling, etc.) to the other rear Brembo vehicles."

Quote:
The new 360mm rotor will use a similar variant of the Brembo caliper...
I'm not so sure if I believe this statement.

It wouldn't make sense for GM to pay more money to initiate/extend/modify a contract with Brembo, for such a limited (in numbers for now) production vehicle, in an effort to recast calipers with longer [and smaller width IIRC] mounting points. If anything, it'd make more sense to modify or use a different knuckle and pick from the caliper parts bin (new paint job of course).

Maybe even a knuckle [and upper controler arms] that already exists: Camaro knuckle that easily swaps out and is already mass-produced.
post #125 of 199 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 04:57 PM

PN change for rotor

Quote:
Gathered info from local dealers - some prices check at GM Parts Direct (for validation/reference only). Other source pricing may vary.

Calipers:
R - 92292529
L- 92292530
List: $583. (ea)
Dealer cost: $332. (ea)

Rotor:
92267114 (changed)
List: $207
Dealer cost: $118

Pads: (common with CTS-V & Camaro SS)
List: $146
Dealer Cost: $77.

You're welcome!!!
New PN for rotor is 92281427 - same price, still no inventory.
1badss likes this.

Bill Harper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #126 of 199 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
New PN for rotor is 92281427 - same price, still no inventory.
make sure that is for '15 for sure (not the new p/n for the '14's) both of which are a ways out 'till they reach the US.
z51vett likes this.
post #127 of 199 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB750 View Post
make sure that is for '15 for sure (not the new p/n for the '14's) both of which are a ways out 'till they reach the US.
I'm not the parts guy and I'm away from home--my source said the old PN for 2015 was changed, and based on the price remaining the same, I'm going to say it is the new current/correct number for 2015 SS.

If you are aware that the 2014 rear rotor has been changed to a new number, can you cite the source and PN?

Bill Harper

post #128 of 199 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
With the info provided by CB750, I did a little research.

There are several OE rotors that physically (fit/form/function) are identical--324mm diameter--but each is specific to application(s).

2014> SS rear rotor is 92265226 - ACDelco PN 177-1186
Current retail is $189.47 (silver finish)

2009 GXP rear rotor is 92218356 - ACDelco PN 177-1111
Current retail is $212.00 (silver finish)

PPV/G8 GT rear rotor is 92265227 - ACDelco PN 177-1130
(most recent PN update - note it is one digit different from current SS rear rotor)
Current retail is $162.00 (black finish)

A number of aftermarket replacement rotor sources for these applications all use the same PN for all vehicle variants mentioned here.
GM PART # 92265226

List Price:$189.47
Price:$114.48

At this point, GMPD lists no PN change, which would typically be signified by an asterisk next to the current PN, and reveal the new number after selecting the part and placing it in the shopping cart.

To be clear, you are saying (?) there is a new number replacing this one for 2014 SS?
1badss likes this.

Bill Harper

Last edited by Navy Lifer; 11-21-2014 at 07:55 PM.
post #129 of 199 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 12:54 AM

well.....dam...someone give me a budget for the parts....and I will install the parts on an SS....Then let you guys know how it works.......$50,000 for the car...full cover Insurance...Enginnering department....Admin Department....COMMO..Mircometers...(TMDE) CAD.....tech comunications department.....BLDG ...Ahhhhhh.....screw it.....Just get a 2015 Chevy SS and be done with it....or buy some caliper covers.....lol
post #130 of 199 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 01:23 AM

take your hands off the keyboard and step away slowly......

Bill Harper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page