Chevy SS Forum banner

Honest opinion from SS owners

24K views 133 replies 53 participants last post by  Vindadu13 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Long time lurker of the forum. Btw, I check out a lot of car forums and the people on here seem nice and respectful compared to some other forums I visit.

I would like to know a few things about your experience with your SS, but first I will offer a little background.

Like most of you, im a car guy. Presently, im overseas working for Uncle Sam and return to the States in about 8 months. Getting a new car when I get home is on the top of my to do list.

I have owned BMW, two Mustang GTs, several Saabs, 350Z, Mercury Marauder, Nissan Titan, Altima, Audi A4, Charger R/T, and presently VW GLI (bought specifically for my job) and a few other cars over the years.

These are the cars that are on my short list: Chevy SS, Dodge Challenger SRT, Audi S4, and BMW 435 or 335, and ATS-V assuming they ever release info/build it and its under $60k. My must haves are manual transmission, minimum 300 HP and rear wheel drive (Only exception would be the S4.)

Honestly, im really leaning towards the SS and the Challenger SRT. I'm a huge fan of V8 power/torque and rear wheel drive. I remember when I first learned of the SS and thought, if they ever make that in a manual, im buying it. I also said to myself, if they ever improve the interior of the SRT, im buying it. I test drove the SRT about two years ago and was in awe of the torque. That thing is a monster. Wasn't impressed with the interior. 2015 brings big changes.

I like the idea of the SS being a 4 door and I don't mind the subdued body style. I'm ok with the whole sleeper concept. I'm wondering how the
power of the LS3 compares to the 392 Hemi. 415hp/415tq compared to 485/475? That's a pretty big difference. I did test drive a C5 Z06 a few years back and that was also a beast, but obviously a much lighter car, so im sure the SS wont feel any where near it in terms of power.

I'm definitely liking the addition of the MRC and 6 speed manual in the SS, and as I mentioned the 4 door sedan is more practical compared to the SRT coupe. But, that challenger is sexy and im also loving the new interior and the monster torque with the 392.

So after that long winded background, share with me your thoughts after owning your SS for a while. Have you driven the SRT with the 392? One of the reasons im asking this, is that the charger I had was the R/T with the 5.7. It had 370/400. Although it was fast, I wasn't overly impressed with the power. I know its a heavier car, but still.

Give me your honest opinion of the SS with the LS3. Im sure its fast from what I had seen on all of the online reviews, etc. What im looking for is the "seat of the pants" feel you get when driving it. Do you feel yourself wishing it had more power, hp and torque? I know we always want more, but there are some cars you drive and just say ****....this thing is a beast. I have read a few people saying that on here, but im wondering what they are comparing it to.

Do you find yourself wishing it had a more aggressive appearance or are you still happy with the exterior? Any complaints on the interior? It appears to be pretty high quality given the price of the car. Speaking of price, im assuming the SS will be near 50k when its all said and done, and the SRT is right around the same, so price isn't the deciding factor here.

Yes I know I should test drive it to see for myself, but im not able to for the next 8 months and would like to have my mind mostly made up before I return home.

Thanks for taking the time. :)

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
First figure out whether you want a two door coupe our a four door sedan.
IMHO comparing the two isnt practical.
As in if you regularly carry more than two people than a coupe is a pain in the ass and you should be looking for a sedan instead. If it's just you in the car 90% of the time than a coupe is practical.
That will narrow the list down for you.
After that if you've owned any of the recent german cars past 30000 miles and still want to own one and pay the maintenance on them go for it. I did and don't.

#5 ·
Agree although I'm undecided about coupe vs sedan. I do like the practicality of the sedan, but I don't want to give up too much performance. Now a two seat coupe is truly not practical. That's why I didn't include the Stingray in this comparison. I had the 350Z and it was fun, but not practical at all, particularly when you meet and start dating a girl who has two kids. Ask me how I know. :) That's how I ended up with the titan. Traded in the Z. Big mistake, both the girl and the truck.

#3 ·
Well, I'll say first that I am completely biased, but with out regard to that I can still make this statement: The 2014 SS is the best car I have ever owned. IMO, limited as it is, the SS is a very advanced car with a hot-rod pedigree. Never owned the others on your list, but having ridden in a few of them, I'm still hooked on the SS.
Yep, biased, but that's my take on it.

#4 ·
Well, I'll say first that I am completely biased, but with out regard to that I can still make this statement: The 2014 SS is the best car I have ever owned. IMO, limited as it is, the SS is a very advanced car with a hot-rod pedigree. Never owned the others on your list, but having ridden in a few of them, I'm still hooked on the SS.
Yep, biased, but that's my take on it.
Biased is good. Means no buyers remorse...that's a good thing.:sigh:

#9 ·
I had a Jeep with approx. 540hp (450hp to the wheels) that I traded in for the SS. It had a modified valve body for improved shifts, high stall converter, headers, performance cam, etc. and although the Jeep launched harder, it wasn't as fun to drive as I'm finding the SS to be. At the track, it'd be a close race. Most of the guys I hung out with had Challys/Chargers (all modified) and none of them could go into a turn as flat as the SS. Are they faster in a straightaway? Yes. Are they more fun to drive than the SS? That depends on what kind of driving you're doing. They both have merits. However, I prefer the understatement and sophistication of the SS over the sheer braun of the LX vehicles. Having had a brick on wheels that could seriously put alot of sedans to shame on the road as well as the track was cool...but I'm really enjoying my SS and the more I drive it, the less I miss the Jeep.

#30 · (Edited)
...the manual and mag ride things might change a little to favor the SS in straight line just saying.
z51vett
Doug
The manual transmission and MagRide are both overall game-changers and will widen the gap between the SS and the Mopar. Even with the automatic, the MagRide will make an already-superior handling car even better -- not to mention the fact that 500HP is pretty simple and inexpensive to achieve. Easy decision in my opinion. The SS is also likely to hold it's value better than the MOPARs (see 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP). I will admit that the Charger has that back-alley brawler look, tho.

#11 ·
Don't forget how easy it is to get the SS to the same HP as an SRT. With an CAI and a very conservative tune I think I'm pushing close to 460 HP. That's for less then $1000. If I put on headers and maybe an LS9 cam (another $1500??) and a new tune I think I could be pushing close to 500 HP give or take. So for less than $3000 I can have more HP than the SRT AND a better handling car.

MOPAR's are super expensive to mod to get decent results. So I've been told. AND how much money would you have to put into a Challenger to get it to handle as well as an SS?

If HP is your main issue, it's a lot less expensive to add HP to an SS than any MOPAR product. Add the handling aspect to it and to me it's a no brainer!

#12 ·
My experience with Holdens started with my 08 G8 GT. Having had it apart to do the regular boy racer upgrades, I can honestly say that Holden build quality is far better than anything I have seen from stateside GM. (My Mopar experience is decades old, so I can't really comment on their current build quality).

Another thing that may/may not influence you is you won't see a SS at every stop light like you will with the Challenger/Charger.

In the end, do all the research, put together all the numbers, explore all the options, then go buy the car that stirs your soul.

That's the way I did it...

#13 ·
How about this... the SS is my favorite car since my 1992 first gen M3 and I would easily put the SS side by side on par with my past M5 and E55 AMG. Earlier this year when I decided it was time for a new ride I started test driving cars. I drove the Challenger SRT8, 300 SRT8, Audi S4, S6, C6 Grand Sport, C7 Stingray, Camaro(s), Mustang(s), and a few others. The SS fit the need best for me but I wanted a paddle shift auto, 4 doors, and a grand touring type ride. Every time I drive the SS I get a smile on my face. I think if you drive one you too will be sold on it.

#23 ·
I bought it in part because of this, but then I chose red and the red is pretty loud - kinda takes away from the whole sleeper thing.

My brother has a Challenger SRT8. I really like it but it doesn't handle as well as the SS. It is a little bit faster though. The SS user interface is light years better, but Dodge is updating for 2015 so I'm sure it will be vastly improved.

#15 ·
I was actually in the same boat, I don't have many people ride with me often, so a coupe isn't a problem. I will say im a holden fan, as seen in my signature, they are the best cars ive ever owned. The body of the SS didn't appeal to me right away, and ive always liked the challengers. The deciding factor for me was the rarity. I have literally seen one other SS in person, other than at dealerships. I see Challengers multiple times a day.

If straight line power is all you're after, the Challenger may be the way to go. If you want a fairly rare, high HP. fun to drive, AMAZINGLY well built sedan, get the SS.

Again, I am a Holden fan, and am definitely biased.

Shawn

Reactions: Leonidas and FBI AW
#16 ·
I can't say 'unbiased' being my last name is HOLDEN and the '14 SS my 3rd Aussie car, preceded by a Pontiac 09 G8GT and my retained 09 G8 GXP. Dollar value plays a lot in my car buys. Like many auto testers/writers state, you get space, handling and motor performance in the SS for perhaps 10 to 15 Gs lsss than generally equivalent MBs, BMWs, etc. Then I don't even bother to look at them.

The latest AUTOWEEK online report about the 2015 SS stated Brembro brakes will be on all 4 wheels standard. That + standard MRC surely adds value to the SS. Just wondering what $$s the 2015 sticker will show. Just for reference the bottom line sticker $$s for the SS with its 2 options (sunroof; spare tire) is $47, 170.

Dislikes: one - seems every SS delivered with summer only tires (with snow on the ground week after purchase in my case!). Harsh ride.

#18 · (Edited)
I learned, while racing and owning Mazdas that straight line performance is not all there is to a fast car.... Or, better yet, a fast car is not as fast as a car that can be driven fast. Our cars are fast, maybe not the fastest, but, can be driven with the fastest...

You don't know how many times that I have let cars beat me to the on ramp or Interchange only to pass them in the turn, or dive in and late brake them to get by easily...much more fun than just a straight out drag race!

Finishing the thought that I started...my last car that I enjoyed driving was an RX-7...modified to more that 400 hp, so it was fast, but, still an RX7, which meant that it handled very well! The SS makes you appreciate your own appreciation of a Real Performance Car!

I hope you all can understand that...I was trying not to get excited.

#19 ·
Good list with good choices. The ss is not for every one but it could be. I have bounced form imports to domestic pony cars. This car is definitely a keeper. Great platform to build from. Exclusivity, not a cop magnet, sleeper, fast, sharp handling, and the ability to take a night out on the town with friends.

#20 ·
The Challenger SRT8 & the SS are both great cars. I drive twisty back roads daily so I have a lot of fun seat time in our Challenger SRT8, Mustang GT, Camaro SS (2000 & 2012) & our SS Sedan. I think the SS Sedan is the best balanced of the group but the SRT8 (or at least mine) digs into the turns better than most people would even try.

The weight of the SRT8 never bothered me that much until I drove the SS Sedan which drives lighter than it is. Even though the Mustang is the lightest (except 2000 SS) it drives the heaviest of them all.

Food for thought, the Challenger sucks for backseat passengers getting in/out + the big doors.

#21 ·
I drove the Challenger SRT8 prior to my SS purchase. The Challenger wasn't really of interest to me, but since I was asked to take it for a test ride and deliver it to another dealer, I thought okay, let's see what's inside all the razzle-dazzle. First thing I noticed was how the Challenger was a car you had to work to drive. Granted, I'm a lazy guy that has always drove large luxury liners, but when I compare ease of piloting between the Challenger and my SS - there's no way I'd look forward to taking a 200 mile non-stop trip in the Challenger, whereas I have gone 250 miles non-stop in my SS and could still get out and walk pain free when I stopped.

I wasn't impressed by the looks of the dash either - it looked too plain and old fashioned to me.
I didn't care for the way it handled AND to me seemed too Camero-like, but slightly better with its sight-lines. (I'm not a fan of the Camero's poor visibility or seating position.)

As much as I was a fan in the early '70's of the Challenger, after driving a new one now and then the SS, the choice between them in driving ease, comfort, and price made the choice a no-brainer.

Plus, and it's a big PLUS is the SS's sleeper factor. You drive around in a Challenger SRT8 and everyone is going to want you to either make it snort or take you on at the majority of lights where you're first in line. There simply is no better feeling than letting someone think they've just been dusted by a Malibu.

#22 ·
Leonidas, just thought of something for you to mull over that's not praise of the SS. You describe yourself as a lurker so you've probably seen the thread about glare from the interior brightwork and realize that it is area of strong disagreement.
However, it is present and should factor into your final decision - especially if your eyes are sensitive to glare. It can be strong at times and can be difficult to avoid. You may even want to converse with 037 since he is particularly bothered by the glare or at least review the thread again.
Honesty you requested so honesty you get.
I still love my SS.

#25 · (Edited)
I'm a G8 GT owner who has lusted for the return of this car to America. I remember being on vacation in Disney and telling my wife I needed an hour or so to watch the unveiling of the Nascar version on my phone, just so I could get an idea of what the new car was going to look like. A year and a half later, and I don't own one. Why? Well the reality is that I like it, but I wanted to LOVE it. I have test driven one on 2 occasions and crunched numbers, but in the end, the car is an understated sleeper with a Camry looking rear end. It comes with 2 options to choose from, and a ton of standard ones we are forced to pay for. I like the SS, and I want one, but I don't want it for $45,000. Now the 2015 challenger is unveiled, and WOW! The interior is gorgeous. I didn't like the front end and tail lights as much at first, but I now like them more than the original. The 392 scat pack RT starts at $38995. You can choose your options! Order what you want, skip what you don't. I find the car to be very compelling. I couldn't see trading in my G8 and taking on another $20,000 of debt for the SS. But for the 2015 Challenger RT with the scat pack, it seems worth it.

Someone commented that the styling of the SS will age like a fine wine. I'd say the 2015 Challenger is vintage 1971 and still aging beautifully!

#32 ·
I'm a G8 GT owner who has lusted for the return of this car to America. I remember being on vacation in Disney and telling my wife I needed an hour or so to watch the unveiling of the Nascar version on my phone, just so I could get an idea of what the new car was going to look like. A year and a half later, and I don't own one. Why? Well the reality is that I like it, but I wanted to LOVE it. I have test driven one on 2 occasions and crunched numbers, but in the end, the car is an understated sleeper with a Camry looking rear end. It comes with 2 options to choose from, and a ton of standard ones we are forced to pay for. I like the SS, and I want one, but I don't want it for $45,000. Now the 2015 challenger is unveiled, and WOW! The interior is gorgeous. I didn't like the front end and tail lights as much at first, but I now like them more than the original. The 392 scat pack RT starts at $38995. You can choose your options! Order what you want, skip what you don't. I find the car to be very compelling. I couldn't see trading in my G8 and taking on another $20,000 of debt for the SS. But for the 2015 Challenger RT with the scat pack, it seems worth it.

Someone commented that the styling of the SS will age like a fine wine. I'd say the 2015 Challenger is vintage 1971 and still aging beautifully!
Well in in your face boy racer is what you are after buy the SRT add squirrel tails and 2 speed pillows or how about mega phone mufflers all the rage with the ricers.
z51vett
Doug

#26 ·
I meant to post this in this thread last night but put it in another one by mistake:

This car makes everyone else seem SLOW. Slow reaction times, slow accelerating, braking, turning, changing lanes, you name it. It's because the SS makes all those things feel effortless and does them well. So my only complaint is you'll be frustrated at other drivers for not being able to do the same as you.

Reactions: SSleeper and TexSS
#27 ·
If you like corners, get the SS!
What everybody else has said should cover it. The only thing to consider is whether or not GM will keep the car in production.

Reactions: SSleeper
#28 ·
Everything about the SS is cool! Great performance, great ride...tight with really good handling, extremely sexy looks and the added bonus: rarity. One term I would not use to describe the SS is "beast" however I would call it a "refined beast". I agree with one poster that said the looks will age like fine wine. It is an understated styling and it looks good from every angle. When it comes to performance cars, Holden has a lock on how to make them. The GTO/Monaro, G8/Commodore and the SS/Commodore. These are all cars that you can own and drive confident in the knowledge that you have a great car with sophisticated looks and the heart of a beast.

#29 ·
While I haven't driven one yet - the reviews by all the car magazines back up the responses here. The SRT products are the ones for winning a drag race at the stop light...but for all other considerations the SS wins out. I think Motor Trend did a fabulous job in their article. The SS is the car you want to drive every day...not the SRT. I am all about driver involvement and handling and have been waiting for the manual option. I won't purchase a car without a manual transmission. You take the already superior handling of the SS compared to the competition and add in MRC and I can't see a reason to go with the other options - provided you want the flexibility and practical nature of a four door vehicle (which I do). Also - the standard features you get in the SS are icing on the cake. Some of the features you can't even get in the competition (like Heads up Display) and the interior is top notch. When you sit in the SS (which I have on many occasions) it feels much more expensive than it actually is. I plan on ordering a black 2015 SS with the manual transmission this winter. I can hardly wait!!

#31 ·
I plan on ordering a black 2015 SS with the manual transmission this winter. I can hardly wait!!
2015SS, you hit the nail on the head. Let me know when you are going to place an order. Maybe we can get a 2-fer special. I do have a connection at Covert Chevrolet in Bastrop, TX, but I haven't talked to him about the SS yet.

Reactions: 2015SS
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.