Chevy SS Forum banner

Livernois Motorsports 560 Package Build!

20K views 64 replies 23 participants last post by  old motorhead 
#1 ·
Under the knife is a beautiful 2016 Chevrolet SS Sedan. We will be taking this from mild to wild in no time! We are sticking with a N/A setup instead of adding any forced induction. This package is the Livernois Motorsports 560 package. For more details or to order, give us a call at (313) 561-5500 or email us at info@livernoismotorsports.com

Mod List;
Livernois Motorsports Powerstorm Stage 2 Heads
Livernois Motorsports Powerstorm 2C-HL Camshaft
Livernois Motorsports Powerstorm Billet Rocker Brases
Livernois Motorsports EvenFlo Thermostat
Livernois Motorsports Custom Dyno Tuning and MyCalibrator Tuner
Livernois Motorsports Selected Cold Air Intake
Ported Manifold and Throttle Body
Upgraded Push Rods
3-Bolt Timing Sprocket
ARP Cam Bolts
GMPP Balancer Bolt
GMPP Head Gasket
ARP Head Bolts

Stay tuned as we dive right into this build.

For all your performance parts and installation needs, contact Livernois Motorsports TODAY!
(313) 561-5500
info@livernoismotorsports.com
www.livernoismotorsports.com

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Chevrolet ss

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

Land vehicle Vehicle Engine Auto part Car

See less See more
#40 ·
Too long? It's only been in the shop a week hasn't it?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#46 ·
High temp black

Yes we can utilize the stock components

I get a really bad feeling that my '17 SS is going to be making a trip up north in the somewhat near future. Driveable NA for me. Is a converter needed with this motor for automatics?
For this exact setup, you do not need a converter. If you were to run our 2R-MAX camshaft, you will.

#44 ·
I get a really bad feeling that my '17 SS is going to be making a trip up north in the somewhat near future. Driveable NA for me. Is a converter needed with this motor for automatics?

#45 ·
I just got my 2c/stg3 heads combo together and on the road. Did catless Kooks also.

With the mycalibrator tune, it runs VERY smooth, sounds great and no perceptible drivability issues at all. Drives like stock with a lot more power and a nice chop at idle. Remote tune was/is really close... my LTFTs are only off by ~3% so far.

Not sure on power as no dyno close by, nor did I get baseline. SoTP feels fantastic and couldn't be happier so far.

#48 ·
The performance is nearly identical to mine with the same setup. Nice job, good to see repeatable mods. I expect one happy @IMPULSS very soon. Good thing there is a windshield or you would get bugs in your teeth.

#50 ·
Unashamed of this theft from the CorvetteForum::

It better. Horsepower is calculated from torque. Torque is measured, horsepower is not.

HP = (TQ*RPM)/5250

And there you have it! Now you will need some deep physics explaining where the 5250 constant comes from.

#52 · (Edited)
And here's the more:
Whew! Happy reading....

begin quote:
Torque Vs. Horsepower

Have you ever wondered why “torque vs. horsepower” has always drawn so much debate?
I think it’s because since the definitions involve trigonometry and physics most people don’t want to go through the hassle of deciphering it all.
Let me try to simplify it a bit.

Here’s the short of it: Horsepower (HP) doesn’t really exist, just torque!
You don’t believe me?
Here’s definition: Horsepower = (Torque x Engine Speed)/5252.
So, HP is just a function of Torque.

But first we need to understand a few concepts:

Force is the pressure of one mass against another. In the metric system force is calculated in “Newtons”. Gravity is an easy example of a natural force and in the English system its unit is pounds. So we also use pounds as a basic unit of force.

Work is defined as force over distance and is calculated as Work = Force x Distance.
Work is achieved when a force causes an object to move. The force placed on the object and the distance it moves is the work done.

Power is the amount of work that can be done in a certain amount of time and is calculated as Power = Work / Time. Power was originally defined by James Watt (inventor of the steam engine) who noted that a horse could lift at a rate of about 550 lb-ft per second in an 8 hour shift.

Torque is the tendency of a force to rotate an object about an axis and is defined as the force at any one point on the edge of a circle in the exact direction of rotation, multiplied by the radius (distance from the center).

As we explained above, in the metric system, force is calculated in Newtons, and distance is in meters, so the standard torque unit is Newton-Meter (N-M). In the Standard/English system, force is calculated in pounds and distance in feet. So the torque unit is lb-ft, usually called “foot-pounds” and sometimes also written as “ft/lb”.

Torque is the measure of the turning force of an object, such as a flywheel or a bolt. For example, pushing or pulling the handle of a wrench connected to a nut or bolt produces a torque (turning force) that loosens or tightens the nut or bolt.

Horsepower is a unit of power. It can be defined in multiple ways, but in its basic sense , it is defined as work done in a straight line as described above under “Power”. When the work is not done in a straight line (as in an automobile engine), it must be defined in a different way: Torque.
Horsepower = (Torque x RPM) / 5252.
It’s worthwhile noting that horsepower is not recognized in the International System of Units.

The reason Horsepower started being used was to compare the output of horses (which everyone understood) with that of the (then new - 1702) steam engines that could replace them. In a study done in 1993 to try to prove (or disprove) the theory it was found that one horse could produce a peak power over a few seconds as high as 15 hp. However it was observed that for sustained activity a work rate of about 1 hp per horse is consistent with what was determined in 1702.

Going back to the formula: HP = (Torque x RPM) / 5252 we can see that at an engine speed of 5,252 RPM Torque and HP are equal. That’s why when we see a graph of Torque / HP we see the lines always cross exactly at 5252 RPM.

But where does the 5252 come from?

Watt’s definition for HP says: 1 HP = 550 lb-ft / sec, or 1 HP = 550 lb x 1 ft / 1 sec

If we convert straight-line work to its rotational equivalent the formula becomes:

1 HP = 550 lb-ft x 1 rad / 1 sec (a rad is a unit-less measure of a circular distance)

When we convert radians (rad) to revolutions and seconds to minutes the formula again evolves. Note: 6.28 rad per revolution (2 π) and 60 seconds in 1 minute

1 HP = (550 lb-ft x 1 rad / 1 sec) x (1 rev / 2 π rad) x 60 sec / 1 min)

Multiplying and canceling, the formula simplifies to:

1 HP = 5252 lb-ft x 1 rev / 1 min which is the same as: 1 HP = 5252 lb-ft x 1 RPM

So, Horsepower = Torque x RPM / 5252.

If you’ve read this far I applaud you, since you now know where 5252 comes from and why the HP and Torque curves cross each other.
...end quote.

source: http://www.gtrheritage.com/topic/217-why-does-hp-and-tq-crossover-at-the-same-point-always/

#56 ·
Don't get too hung up on where the 5252 comes from. It is simply a units conversion thing. Just like converting seconds to minutes, inches to feet or degrees F to C. The only "trick" to converting to HP from Torque and RPM (revolutions per minute) is to understand that there are (2 x pi) radians in a revolution (pi being approximately 3.141592) and that radians are dimensionless (which I will not go into here). Radians are just another means of measuring angles (The best actually, but again beyond the scope of this post).

Keep in mind that for the 5252 conversion to work, Torque must be in ft-lbs and rotational speed in revolutions per minute. Since one HP by definition (see Pinetrees post) is 550 ft-lb/s, one revolution (360 degrees) is (2 x pi) radians and one minute is 60 seconds (hope everyone gets that one!)
then (550 x 60)/(2 x 3.141592) = 5252.113

If torque was in inch-lbs than the conversion factor would become (550 x 60 x 12)/(2 x 3.141592) = 63025

Conversion factors could be calculated for engine speed in revolutions per second, or hour or whatever. Point is, 5252 is simply the conversion one ends up with when writing out the TQ x RPM equation with the units of torque being ft-lbs and engine speed in revolutions per minute.

I have left out some details because the forums text editor is not a good equation writer. Since everyone on this forum is an SS fan, I know you are all smart guys (and gals) and will have no problems with the simple multiplication/division problem shown. Hope this gives "All Y'all" a better understanding of where the "magical 5252" comes from.

#57 ·
And now I must apoloigize to Livernois for dragging their build thread out into the weeds so far.

Maybe we can get this one back on track and have any further discussion on TQ vs HP in the other forum
at this thread: Torque and Horsepower Relationship

Welcome back to YOUR thread, Livernois!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.